Topics

Aluminum Box for Morserino?

John McClun

Hello all,

I ordered a Morserino this week.  Looking at the plastic "box" as not an ideal enclosure I thought I'd search for an aluminum one.  Trouble is I don't have the Morserino board sizes.  Has anyone used an aluminum enclosure and if so which one?  What are the dimensions of the PC board?  If you could please measure the board not including the couple of mm for the connections that stick out beyond the board, thank you.

John
NA3NA

PeteWK8S

I’ll piggyback on that question and ask folks who respond to include where they found the enclosure(s).

Personally, I’ve been half-heartedly looking for a right-sized box to put my Morserino into for transport. I like the current enclosure and find it attractive and adequate for it’s purpose on a desk.
However, I don’t plan on using it in the field as a keyer. Certainly, it would require a different enclosure for field work.

Pete WK8S

On Jan 13, 2020, at 7:36 AM, John McClun <john@...> wrote:

Hello all,

I ordered a Morserino this week.  Looking at the plastic "box" as not an ideal enclosure I thought I'd search for an aluminum one.  Trouble is I don't have the Morserino board sizes.  Has anyone used an aluminum enclosure and if so which one?  What are the dimensions of the PC board?  If you could please measure the board not including the couple of mm for the connections that stick out beyond the board, thank you.

John
NA3NA

Doug KD9PK

The board itself is 75x102 and you will need about 25mm vertical clearance.
Why do I know this so quickly?  Because I tried to “ruggedize”  mine in a custom aluminum chassis.
I put it back in the acrylic…much more elegant and it turns out to be very tough…. Mine has even survived a few knocks off the table onto tile and just keeps on ticking.

On Jan 13, 2020, at 8:36 AM, John McClun <john@...> wrote:

Hello all,

I ordered a Morserino this week.  Looking at the plastic "box" as not an ideal enclosure I thought I'd search for an aluminum one.  Trouble is I don't have the Morserino board sizes.  Has anyone used an aluminum enclosure and if so which one?  What are the dimensions of the PC board?  If you could please measure the board not including the couple of mm for the connections that stick out beyond the board, thank you.

John
NA3NA

Enzo Stefanazzi

What about a more rugged and practical 3D-printed box?
I was thinking at something like a box with rounded edges and enough space for a 18650 Lithium battery.
Maybe Willy could provide it as aftermarket gadget or free downloadable 3DModel file.

73' Enzo, iw7dmh

arnold@...

Hi!
I have bought a rugged box with foam inside, have a look at http://oe1iah.at/Start/Morsen/Morserino.shtml
74 OE1IAH

Willi, OE1WKL

A Swiss dealer offers a 3D printed box for the Morserino-32.

And scroll down a bit... You will find it even though the page is in German.

Von meinem Mobiltelefon gesendet

Am 13.01.2020 um 17:08 schrieb Enzo Stefanazzi via Groups.Io <v.stefa@...>:

What about a more rugged and practical 3D-printed box?
I was thinking at something like a box with rounded edges and enough space for a 18650 Lithium battery.
Maybe Willy could provide it as aftermarket gadget or free downloadable 3DModel file.

73' Enzo, iw7dmh

Doug KD9PK

I have two and they get moved on a regular basis.
I found a cigar box that fit them perfectly for transport.
It also keeps me from losing keys.
(I’m not a smoker but I found out I had a lot of friends that think it is cool and when I asked for an empty box I got about a dozen. All kinds of shack gear now securely stored in cigar boxes.)

On Jan 13, 2020, at 10:05 AM, Enzo Stefanazzi via Groups.Io <v.stefa@...> wrote:

What about a more rugged and practical 3D-printed box?
I was thinking at something like a box with rounded edges and enough space for a 18650 Lithium battery.
Maybe Willy could provide it as aftermarket gadget or free downloadable 3DModel file.

73' Enzo, iw7dmh

Juergen Wagner

Hello Friends,
here some pics of a Alu-Box with rounded edges and space enough for all:

A hint for the searching Morserino friend: when ur Morserino arrives u can measure all urself and decide
what will meet ur needs best ...
73
Juergen
DL4KE

Am 13.01.2020 um 17:05 schrieb Enzo Stefanazzi via Groups.Io:

What about a more rugged and practical 3D-printed box?
I was thinking at something like a box with rounded edges and enough space for a 18650 Lithium battery.
Maybe Willy could provide it as aftermarket gadget or free downloadable 3DModel file.

73' Enzo, iw7dmh

Enzo Stefanazzi

Great,
it is exactly what I was looking for.
73' Enzo

PeteWK8S

Do you know what model X-Case you purchased?

On Jan 13, 2020, at 9:12 AM, arnold@... wrote:

Hi!
I have bought a rugged box with foam inside, have a look at http://oe1iah.at/Start/Morsen/Morserino.shtml
74 OE1IAH

John McClun

Thank you everyone for your responses.  I guess I should have been clearer.  I don't need a box to transport it in (thanks all who  thought that was what I wanted) but a box to replace the acrylic enclosure with an aluminum one -to use the morserino in hostile environments.  Thanks Willi for the link for the printed box, I might try it and
see if it will work.

John
NA3NA

arnold@...

Folks!
I got several mails asking where I have got my box. I bought it at the German Amazon site it was labeled: "Xcase wasserdichte Box: Staub- und wasserdichter Mini-Koffer, 215 x 133 x 52 mm, IP67 (Aufbewahrungsbox)"

73 OE1IAH