Topics

Battery

Birk [DB3DE]

@Hiroyasu Wakamatsu
Careful! LiFePO4 batteries have different voltages.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_iron_phosphate_battery
If you charge them via Morserino which I guess is designed for LiPo / Lithium Ion? Batteries the charging voltage will be too high
LiFePO4 batteries Maximum charge voltage = 3.65 V
LiPo is charged with about 4.2 V.

Birk [DB3DE]

Hi all,
I created a 18650 cell holder. For those of you, who have access to an 3D printer this might be a solution.
The design can be found here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3782717

rogerc2288

My bad! I knew that but had brain fade!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

-------- Original message --------
Date: 6/16/19 1:31 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: morserino@groups.io
Subject: Re: [morserino] Battery

But the kit comes with a Molex cable, not a JST. You can use JST batteries, but then you have to supply your own connecting cable for the battery!

Willi

Willi, OE1WKL

But the kit comes with a Molex cable, not a JST. You can use JST batteries, but then you have to supply your own connecting cable for the battery!

Willi

rogerc2288

Check out adafruit.com for batteries with the proper JST connector.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

Matthew .

I got theses, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MQ5NNHR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
they fit under the microcontroller. I did not see a single pack. Cheap enough anyway, hihi.

Also these connectors, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072B66P5C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Matt
N2IDW

David Wilcox

TATTU 6pcs 3.7V 600mAh LiPo Battery Pack 25C 1S with Molex Plug Compatible with Syma X5 X5C X5SW X5SC-1 CX-3W CX-31 M68 M68R UDI U45 Beginners X708W Wi-Fi FPV Training RC Quadcopter 

On Jun 15, 2019, at 3:49 PM, jhinton1068@... wrote:

Hello David. Regarding the use of a battery pack, what type of batteries, voltage and wiring configuration do you use? Thanks. John Hinton. N2JH.

jack1068

Hello David. Regarding the use of a battery pack, what type of batteries, voltage and wiring configuration do you use? Thanks. John Hinton. N2JH.

Hiroyasu Wakamatsu

You may want to check out LiFePO4 batteries. They are much safer (physically and chemically). They are much pricier than LiPo and you do need a proper charger, though. Form factor may be a problem also. Hyperion is one of the companies sells those. 

On Sat, Jun 15, 2019 at 5:50 AM, David Wilcox via Groups.Io
<Djwilcox01@...> wrote:
You can make up your own battery pack using any type of batteries you feel safe with.  Just cut the connector off one of the Tattu batteries so it will connect to your Morserino.  With a battery pack I can use my Morserino in my car sending random words driving down the road.  Works great and after a while raising the speed to 30 WPM or more words start to pop out rather than just letters and numbers.  Great little machine.

David J. Wilcox K8WPE’s iPad

On Jun 15, 2019, at 1:49 AM, Willi, OE1WKL <willi@...> wrote:

Just forget the LiPo battery and power it through the USB connector with any 5V power supply, if Lipos scare you....

Willi

Von meinem Mobiltelefon gesendet

Am 15.06.2019 um 02:19 schrieb jhinton1068@...:

Is there no other alternative to power this device besides the LiPo batteries? These things scare the hell out of me! Check out the videos on YouTube which show the catastrophic fires/explosions when these things fail.There is a reason they are not allowed on an airplane. I bought a 6 pack of these batteries, I am paranoid about having them in my house.

David Wilcox

You can make up your own battery pack using any type of batteries you feel safe with.  Just cut the connector off one of the Tattu batteries so it will connect to your Morserino.  With a battery pack I can use my Morserino in my car sending random words driving down the road.  Works great and after a while raising the speed to 30 WPM or more words start to pop out rather than just letters and numbers.  Great little machine.

On Jun 15, 2019, at 1:49 AM, Willi, OE1WKL <willi@...> wrote:

Just forget the LiPo battery and power it through the USB connector with any 5V power supply, if Lipos scare you....

Willi

Is there no other alternative to power this device besides the LiPo batteries? These things scare the hell out of me! Check out the videos on YouTube which show the catastrophic fires/explosions when these things fail.There is a reason they are not allowed on an airplane. I bought a 6 pack of these batteries, I am paranoid about having them in my house.

Willi, OE1WKL

Willi

jack1068

Matthew Pullan

Please exercise caution when clicking links in posts to the group. The Morserino-32 group is not responsible for external content.
        73 de OE6FEG
               Matt

From: morserino@groups.io <morserino@groups.io> on behalf of Karlos Olivet Olivet <karlosolivet@...>
Sent: Monday, June 10, 2019 11:28:54 PM
To: morserino@groups.io
Subject: Re: [morserino] Battery

Hello everyone.
I'm still going to ride my Moserino.
I bought a badge, I just have to start.
Oliveira pu2olt
Blog: http://qsldobrasil.blogspot.com

Em dom, 2 de jun de 2019 às 14:26, Peter AA2VG <Petersdeluca@...> escreveu:
Hi. All good info but how does one charge the Tattu 600 ma 30C battery? Do I need a separate charger?
tnx
Peter
AA2VG

--

Karlos Olivet

Karlos Olivet Olivet

Hello everyone.
I'm still going to ride my Moserino.
I bought a badge, I just have to start.
Oliveira pu2olt
Blog: http://qsldobrasil.blogspot.com

Em dom, 2 de jun de 2019 às 14:26, Peter AA2VG <Petersdeluca@...> escreveu:

Hi. All good info but how does one charge the Tattu 600 ma 30C battery? Do I need a separate charger?
tnx
Peter
AA2VG

--

Joy Rabins

Here is a repeat of what I posted on June 8 about the batteries. Below is the email Willi sent regarding a battery he recommends we can purchase from Amazon in the US. The battery came Friday and my husband and I put the kit together last night. We put the battery in temporarily because we didn't have double sided tape. It fits fine. I'm including a photo.    Joy KM6IFL

Hello all, Willi sent me the following email last month when I was asking about batteries. His recommendation in the email  is what I ordered. It just came yesterday and I am planning on putting the kit together this weekend. When I do I'll take a photo with the battery. 

I had contacted the company in Germany that sells the battery Willi initially recommended and they verified they are not allowed to ship the batteries to the US. That is not going to change so you are going to have to look elsewhere. Hope this helps.  Joy KM6IFL

Email from Willi: 
Yes, it seems the Tattu I recommend is hard to find in the US. Unfortunately it is not feasible to ship LiPo batteries to the US - lots of regulations, and they must not be shipped on board of planes. Thats why I do not include the battery in the kit.
But you can essentially use any other 3.7V LiPo battery with a Molex plug, you can always mount it on the bottom plate of the case (maybe you have to use the taller stand-offs, if the batterie is too thick for the shorter ones), and this is what I would recommend if the one I have been using cannot be sourced.

Willi
OE1WKL
-- 
--
Joy
KM6IFL

David Wilcox

I bought the six pack of Tattu batteries on eBay and used the longer standoffs.  Mine have the same 600 ma rating but were more square and too thick to mount under the main module but work fine.  I glued my battery to the bottom plate with a drop of E6000.  That never really hardens and can be removed later if I want to change the battery.  It is available at Hobby Lobby and many hardware stores.  The E6000 is a clear marine type sealant used in aquariums and in boats.  A great hobby glue.  I used a few drops last night to repair a cloth gift bag that came unglued at the seam.

On Jun 8, 2019, at 10:06 AM, Joy Rabins <doghouse3@...> wrote:

Hello all, Willi sent me the following email last month when I was asking about batteries. His recommendation in the email  is what I ordered. It just came yesterday and I am planning on putting the kit together this weekend. When I do I'll take a photo with the battery. 

I had contacted the company in Germany that sells the battery Willi initially recommended and they verified they are not allowed to ship the batteries to the US. That is not going to change so you are going to have to look elsewhere. Hope this helps.  Joy KM6IFL

Email from Willi: 
Yes, it seems the Tattu I recommend is hard to find in the US. Unfortunately it is not feasible to ship LiPo batteries to the US - lots of regulations, and they must not be shipped on board of planes. Thats why I do not include the battery in the kit.
But you can essentially use any other 3.7V LiPo battery with a Molex plug, you can always mount it on the bottom plate of the case (maybe you have to use the taller stand-offs, if the batterie is too thick for the shorter ones), and this is what I would recommend if the one I have been using cannot be sourced.

Willi
OE1WKL
--
Joy
KM6IFL

Joy Rabins

Email from Willi: 

Willi
OE1WKL
--
Joy
KM6IFL

Jim McConnell

No Fred I am not using that battery. I had a smaller capacity battery laying around from a old drone project that went bad so I used the battery and just scotch taped it under the PCB. If you decide to order a 6 pack I will take 2 of them off your hands and pay the postage to Colorado also. One of the issues I have been running into with the batteries is finding the correct connector. 
Jim NEØDA 

On Sat, Jun 8, 2019 at 7:17 AM Frederick Banzer via Groups.Io <oboat442=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Thank you Jim!

I think I read somewhere that the 25C style does fit, but I could be wrong.

Have you fitted this battery in your Morserino-2?

73 de K4ZLT
Fred

john .s. griffin

Hi agn Fred yes it has the molex plug, I fitted mine under the bottom board, and used the 12mm stand off screws that come supplied in the kit, sits underneath lovely! The lick I sent is for two batteries and also included a charging lead! 73 John M0CDL.

On 8 Jun 2019, at 14:17, Frederick Banzer via Groups.Io <oboat442@...> wrote:

Thank you Jim!

73 de K4ZLT
Fred

Frederick Banzer

Thank you Jim!

73 de K4ZLT
Fred