#reflections on #evomc21 Week 5 End if this year's session, and focus on the affordances of community in teacher professional development #evomc21 #reflections

Vance Stevens

Greetings all,

EVO Minecraft MOOC for 2021 has come to End of what for me has been its most satisfyingly successful session ever, and I have just completed a Learning2gether episode 509 post, my final overview after week 5 of our recent EVOMC21. This detailed and thoughtful reflection is posted at
https://learning2gether.net/2021/02/14/the-end-of-evo-minecraft-mooc-and-electronic-village-online-wrap-up-for-2021/

This one tries to show through numerous videos and other forms of example how working in communities of practice is critical for teachers to gradually become effective guides when aspiring to work in Minecraft with their students. It shows where the more proficient among members of the EVO Minecraft MOOC community are constantly helping to scaffold and modeling for the newcomers to the community.

Besides the 1.5 hour video of Dakotah Redstone's leading our successful attack on the End Ship on our last day of #evomc21, the post also resurrects footage of a previous attempt on the end dragon mounted by Linda Gielen, Rose Bard, Mircea Patrascu, Aaron Schwartz, and I one month after the End of EVOMC16, five years ago.

The post explains what the "End" is in Minecraft, and how for most users, having any hope of experiencing the End is the embodiment of community effort. For those of you teaching language learners, you can extrapolate this out as a project in your own language class.

The post also indicates to some extent how EVO Minecraft MOOC is developing as a community. It has certainly been my pleasure to work with all the skilled and knowledgeable moderators we have attracted over the years, as well as so many participants of all levels in #Minecraft. I've been one of the most impacted learners from the process.

I hope you enjoy these reflections and the dozens of videos we left behind. For the record, there is a playlist, with 47 videos, most of them extensively annotated, here
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL39I6JFIBntllpL1z1fNX8k5OdT-MOlNt

Hope to see you on the server soon, as long as Aaron keeps it running. Now that it's a family affair, that seems likely. Bobbi Dare Bear and I will certainly be there off and on (Bobbi is always going back there to check on her cats; could horses be next?).

As for EVO Minecraft MOOC, next we have some presentations coming up in the upcoming TESOL Virtual Conference. If you're interested in participating, please reply here, so I'll know to include you.

Best,
Teacher Vance