Topics

Preparations for EVOMC21 - Meant for current and past moderators #evomc21 #planning

Vance Stevens

Dear members of Minecraft MOOC groups.io

Ten of you are moderators of the upcoming EVO Minecraft MOOC for 2021. Six of you have been moderators in past years, and the remaining 10 members of this list have joined us as participants in one of our recent EVOMC sessions. This message is addressed to all current and past EVOMC moderators who wish to be involved in planning our upcoming EVOMC21.

Some of us have been meeting in Discord once a week for the past few weeks. We plan to meet next on Dec 5 at 1400 UTC. Moderators are welcome to join us, or if that is an inconvenient time for you, we could add additional times, if you want to meet with us and discuss some of the many issues that we have been tackling over the past few weeks.

We have been documenting these discussions and issues here,
https://docs.google.com/document/d/19UbZWEE86q328xrTNsE__Mzi7QNHW_Lr5UhmADZZAp4/edit?usp=sharing.

This document is accessible only to current and past moderators. All but three current moderators (or moderator family teams) have already requested and received access to this document and I am now sharing it with the other three current moderators, so that all those most concerned can be involved in planning (past moderators may request access if interested).

There is a table of contents in this document where you can easily find an overview pointing to issues that might interest you or that you might like to be involved in.

One issue that came up in our meeting yesterday was the issue of this groups.io and how it should be used in the upcoming EVOMC21. To catch up on this issue, please see the part of the document starting here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/19UbZWEE86q328xrTNsE__Mzi7QNHW_Lr5UhmADZZAp4/edit#heading=h.5r8wxevrttrt

And then the action item here
https://docs.google.com/document/d/19UbZWEE86q328xrTNsE__Mzi7QNHW_Lr5UhmADZZAp4/edit#heading=h.uim7odwthjge

Note that I plan to poll you on your opinion on this issue before the EVO CfP (call for participation in this case) goes out around Dec 6.

Thanks all those who are participating in our planning toward having a successful EVOMC21 this January-Feb, and to those who have joined us as participants in the past, welcome back. You can visit what we are developing for you in the usual place, http://missions4evomc.pbworks.com/, and of course you can follow us on Facebook, https://www.facebook.com/groups/evomc/.

Hope you and yours are staying healthy,

Teacher Vance

Vance Stevens

Dear all,

This is quick follow up on my last mail, the first of many follow-ups as we gear up for the start of EVO Minecraft MOOC the second week in January. It is mainly directed at the moderators of EVOMC21 who are members of this list, but those who are not moderators are welcome to sit in on these emails and also to reply if you have any opinions on our discussions.

The first thing here is to let you know that our session has officially been accepted this year, as of yesterday Dec 6. I have posted the acceptance letter in our organizational document which only moderators can access. You can find it through its table of contents. If you are a moderator and don't have access to this document please request to join it:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/19UbZWEE86q328xrTNsE__Mzi7QNHW_Lr5UhmADZZAp4/edit?usp=sharing

Our weekly organizational meeting last night, Dec 5, was attended only by me and Dakotah. I found it very entertaining to have a chance to talk to Dak and pick his brain topics ranging from his philosophy of education to what I could do with all the lapis lazuli I was finding while mining at level 11, which I was in fact doing while talking to him, multitasking.

I'll ask in Discord what people want to do about future moderator meetings, but we are using that and Groups.io to try and reach people where they live, so to speak. Some of us hang out in Discord, others respond to email, most of us are on Facebook, but that's not where we should do our moderator planning.

It could have been that our meeting Dec 5 conflicted with the start of the OpenSim conference which I had thought started the hour after we had scheduled our meeting. It was a two day conference, Dec 5 and 6, but it's Dec 7 where I am now and I was just listening to the last of the livestream. It's all on YouTube, all of them going back for as long or longer than EVO Minecraft MOOC has been in play (2015). The live stream for this year appears to have just ended.

Our Google Doc tracks all the issues needing resolution as we move toward start of EVOMC21 about a month from now. If you are a moderator and wish to be involved you should be checking there. A couple of things added since last week:

The opening session of EVO 2021 will be on Sunday Jan 10. The "official" registration period goes through Jan 11, so we could have our EVOMC21 kickoff Sat Jan 9 (the official start date of EVO 2021) or on Monday Jan 11, the "official" end of registration, or whenever we feel like it. I suggest we have it in Zoom and create a record explaining how people can get into Discord and where we live on Facebook. Decisions, decisions :-)

Apart from that, the items in our document (which would in turn be the agenda for our meetings) remain pretty much the same as last week.

Our group of moderators has been doing this year after year and in essence we get into Minecraft, get newcomers to follow us there, and interact with everyone in Minecraft and in Discord / Facebook (with Groups.io an option for people who aren't on FB or need help getting into the other two spaces). One of the more important issues is whether or not to have a community space on the server as we have had in previous years and if yes, who will create it. Also, do we have a program of regular or ad hoc meetings? If so, there is a schedule there where people can be writing in their suggestions.

I suggest we use this Groups.io to begin with as a place to rally troops before we all head off into battle on the server, and to pick up those who straggle in once we're in session, but there has been push back on that from two coordinators and we need weigh-in from others. The question is what instructions to put on our front page at http://missions4evomc.pbworks.com/ to tell people what spaces to join in order to communicate with us, just FB and Discord, or groups.io as well.

Any thoughts on any of these issues from any on this list would be appreciated.

For a full list of issues please see the moderators-only document. We need to settle them there and in Discord, or here on this list. If issues remain unresolved when we start our session, they will become non-issues and we'll do what we usually do, play in Minecraft and welcome others there and show them around and get them familiar with the environment as a space for professional development and its potential for use with students.

Best,
Vance

Vance Stevens

Hi all,

It seems we are interacting mostly in Discord, but just to let you know we have called a meeting there in two hours time, for co-moderators, in Discord. The time of the meeting is
https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=EVOMC21+Co-mods+confab+Dec+12%2C+6+am+PST&iso=20211212T06&p1=234&ah=1

The agenda for those who have access to the document (i.e. EVOMC21 co-moderators) is here
https://docs.google.com/document/d/19UbZWEE86q328xrTNsE__Mzi7QNHW_Lr5UhmADZZAp4/edit?usp=sharing

If you are unable to make it to the meeting please leave us your feedback in that document.

Vance

Vance Stevens

Hi folks,

It looks like we've narrowed down to a focused group of moderators who are willing to meet regularly and who are all on Discord. All current EVOMC21 moderators are members of this group.io list but this list seems to be a one-way communication channel.

Meanwhile in Discord we have a robot that sets our meetings for us. Sesh has just announced the following:

Sesh bot sez PlannersMeet, Saturday, Dec 19 ⋅ 6am PST

This was not on the agenda last week but needs to be addressed this week
When is our kickoff? (Vance suggests Monday Jan 11); see https://docs.google.com/document/d/19UbZWEE86q328xrTNsE__Mzi7QNHW_Lr5UhmADZZAp4/edit#heading=h.gh2qsajbf30q

The time of the Discord meeting tomorrow, Saturday, is given here as per the WorldClock
https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=EVOMC21+co-moderators+planning+meeting+Dec+19%2C+6+am+PST&iso=20211219T06&p1=234&ah=1

If you can't make the meeting you can comment here or at the link above (the Google Doc) on when you think the EVOMC21 first meeting should be. I propose Monday Jan 11, 2021 at 1400 UTC, which is also 6 a.m. Seshbot time, or 9 am for those of you on the eastern seaboard USA.

If you want to meet to PLAN at different times we are open to additional meeting times on different days at different hours. We could also have the EVOMC21 kickoff on a different day at a different hour but that time seems to at least be when people who attend the planning meetings are up and about (or still awake).

If you have any input here we just need to hear from you.

If there is no further input from moderators here on planning I think I'll focus on Discord for organization from now on, until the sessions start.

I think it will be a good idea to include groups.io as one of the places we suggest that people join us (the others are Facebook and Discord). I will monitor any interaction here and if people come here with questions I'll steer them to Facebook and Discord as best I can.

Facebook is great for sharing photos and experiences but it's difficult to find needed information there. I've tried to put as much needed information as possible at http://missions4evomc.pbworks.com/. Discord is wonderful for interaction and we have channels there that can help filter out information, so it's an ideal portal except that many educators are not familiar with it. Most people can handle email which is why I intend to suggest everyone join this groups.io in January. All of these spaces have their affordances and all have their disadvantages, but with the three of them, everyone has a space they can find what they need to know in the critical early days when people are trying to orient on our activities and might leave in frustration if they can't get their questions answered.

If you have anything to add either as a participant or moderator (we have both as members of this group) it would be great to get your input here,

Teacher Vance

Vance Stevens

Greetings to moderators and others who may be getting these mails as participants in EVO MInecraft MOOC,

Right now these mails are directed at moderators for the purpose of EVO planning. The minutes of our meeting yesterday are available (to moderators) here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/19UbZWEE86q328xrTNsE__Mzi7QNHW_Lr5UhmADZZAp4/edit#heading=h.5k5b0y1ao9tl.

With an eye on the calendar, if you want to join us in EVOMC21 the call for Participation has been issued by EVO http://evosessions.pbworks.com/
and you can register for EVO sessions officially from Jan 3 through Jan 10, 2021.

EVO Minecraft MOOC tends to be more flexible, and you can register for our session at any time; see our proposal for instructions and more information
http://evo2021proposals.pbworks.com/w/page/141302220/EVO_Minecraft_MOOC_2021

We're having to firm up our whitelist and registration for our session via the form you find at the link above is necessary for staying on the whitelist, or for newcomers to gain access to our server.

The EVO 2021 kickoff event is now set at 1400 UTC Sunday June 10.
I propose that we have our first EVOMC21 event the following day, which is the day after close of the official registration window, Sunday June 11, at 1400 UTC in Zoom. Once we've met initially in Zoom we'll try to move our EVOMC21 meetings into Minecraft and Discord.

EVO sessions run for 5 weeks through Feb 14, 2021.
EVO Minecraft MOOC tends to have people gathering there all year long.

I plan to call another planning meeting for moderators in Discord on Sunday Dec 27 at 1400 UTC, the normal time for our meetings (but not the normal day). By then we should have agreed on the date and time of our opening session

I will announce the event in Discord but if you wish to be involved in these meetings on others days / times you need to let us know, and we will do our best to accommodate other schedules. We need to hear from you though, otherwise we'll stick with the 1400 UTC times because when we have meetings at those times people often attend, and we've had no feedback so suggest we do otherwise.

After the meeting a week from now I'll probably stop using Groups.io to communicate with moderators and throw it open to participants who want to use it to ask questions. Our group will attempt to use Discord and Facebook for EVOMC21 communications, but I recognize the need for an easily understood forum for those who need help with DIscord or who aren't on Facebook, or who might have questions they'd like to ask in an email forum.

Looking forward to the start of EVO 2021. Meanwhile I'll be standing by here (and in FB and Discord) to handle any questions or suggestions.

Teacher Vance

One of the items for our meeting y

msmolcec@...

Hello all!

Sorry for late reply.

I haven't been closely following due to many things happening in my country and some personal issues.

I will try to help within groups.io and Facebook as much as possible at least for the first EVO weeks.

Filip has been a bit ill, caughing a lot, he was also tested on COVID - the results were negative. But, we are seeing doctor. Anyway,  I hope when he finds the time and together with Domagoj, they  will play MInecraft in our server. I will check for their Minecraft accounts to be whitelisted if they are not already.

I will also need to ask for Googe access.

Also, one of my eTwinning colleagues wanted to promote the EVOMinecraft session within her eTwinning group about Games, but I told her to mention that Minecraft needs to be bought first, after she asked me if it was free. I explained and shared the link http://evo2021proposals.pbworks.com/w/page/141302220/EVO_Minecraft_MOOC_2021.

Maybe we get some EU participants. Most EU teachers, if they use Minecraft they use Microsoft EDU edition. I still hope some will join.

Talk to you soon

Marijana

Marijana Smolčec, prof.mentor
eTwinning online moderatorica grupe "Inclusive Education"
Gimnazija i strukovna škola Bernardina Frankopana
Ogulin, Croatia

Marijana Smolčec, teacher mentor
eTwinning "Inclusive Education" Group Moderator
Member of EVO2017 coordination team
Bernardin Frankopan Grammar and Vocational School
Ogulin, Croatia

On Sun, 20 Dec 2020 at 15:43, Vance Stevens <vancestev@...> wrote:
[...]

Hi Marijana,

Thanks for replying here. There hasn't been much traffic on this list. Planning has gone over to the Google Doc which you just asked to join (accepted :-).

I expect that this list will be used by people who are new to Minecraft and Discord or not on Facebook who have questions on how to get started. They can get personalized help here. Two dozen people have registered for our session so far. Six have listed themselves as Newbie, and this is only the second day of registration.

Rose Bard has produced a very short video introducing EVO Minecraft MOOC and showing the new spawn point created by Surajmuhke. I've put it on the front page of our wiki here: http://missions4evomc.pbworks.com/

There you can also find the registration link for the session, https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSc6rsE7QW1u2DW2g6SCzSTqkJbasfFqhbT59WmJHufhpNUAkw/viewform

Each person who wants to join us in Minecraft needs to register. Your registration helps us ascertain number and demographics of our participants, and when you provide a Minecraft user name we can be sure you (and your two gentlemen sons) are whitelisted on on our server for this year.

Please also check the Live Events page for 2021 here http://missions4evomc.pbworks.com/w/page/142133859/2021_Live_Events

There you can see that EVO kicks off in Zoom at 14:00 UTC on Sun Jan 10, and EVO Minecraft MOOC has it's first live session the next day also at 14:00 UTC, in Zoom and in Minecraft, screen shared for those who don't have it yet.

Details for join the meetings and times where you are - for these and events we are still planning - are given at the Live Events page. As soon as we can, we hope to have our meetings in Discord and Minecraft, so Discord needs to be a priority if you plan to stay with us throughout the session; see http://missions4evomc.pbworks.com/w/page/142231248/2021_Discord

Unless you plan to lurk (and you would be welcome) you'll need to join us in Minecraft itself in order to gain full benefit from our session. Information on how to do that is overviewed on the Front Page of the wiki and also at http://missions4evomc.pbworks.com/w/page/141007461/2021_server_info.

That's probably enough for now

Welcome to all our newbies and welcome again to one and all. If you have any questions you can create new topics here and ask them.

Hope to see you 'in world' soon,

Teacher Vance