Topics

#evomc21 server temporarily disabled - But you can view two dozen Meaningful Play Adventure Learning Safari videos showing how we move about there #evomc21

Vance Stevens

Edited

Hi all,

There appears to be a problem with the transition from Minecraft 1.16.4 to 1.16.5 which was only supposed to address performance issues (it was working fine before the upgrade :-). You can get on the server, but you can't function there (can't open boxes or doors or drop or break objects). The problem started at 9 am UTC today and we are awaiting word of a fix. I'll let you know when it's back to its normal state.

Meanwhile, you can play vicariously by watching Teacher Vance and Bobbi Bear's videos, made in the past two months, of their epic journey, mostly on easy paths leading from shelter to shelter, from the old Spawn Point (as it looked a month ago) to the wrecked Ark on the alpine plateau, and down the mountain to the plains below where there is a well-tended village, and just north of there to a great gash in the land we call The Trench.

From there we make a figure-8 march along the base of the coastal mountains down to an island where we can boat across to a desert peninsula and explore a number of villages and lost temples before coming out on a beach via an interesting savanna village in an acacia forest with waterfalls. From the beach we boat to a distant island where we have a shelter, put in for supplies, and then cross the channel through icebergs to arrive at desolate badlands on the opposite shore.

The appeal of the badlands is the extensive landscape of colorful terracotta, which make attractive building material, all around you for the taking. Bobbi Bear and I take you to three shelters spaced along a trek through the area, two on mesa tops, and the last one with a stunning sunset view from the balcony, before we bring you down to the red sands and return you to the plains where you find yourself back at the Trench.

If you want to get a feel for what traveling on the server is like, you might like to explore these videos. You can find the complete set at at this link
http://missions4evomc.pbworks.com/w/page/142108218/Video_Tutorials

And the one we just produced before the server went down is this one:
https://youtu.be/in4C8C38fVg

When Bobbi went on to Minecraft today she found herself stuck in the shelter she is in at the end of this video, couldn't open the door to get out. Villagers could easily get in, a little awkward, small houses :-)

If you want a tour of the area or a part of it that appeals to you, let us know, and we'll meet you online for some Meaningful Play via our Adventure Learning Safaris.

We'll be announcing more once the server comes back online. We announce our activities in Discord or as Facebook or Google Calendar Events, and track them here where you can easily see them all listed in chronological order
http://missions4evomc.pbworks.com/w/page/142133859/2021_Live_Events

Hope you enjoy the videos, and let us know if you have any questions,

Teacher Vance

Vance Stevens

Greetings all.

I forgot to alert you to the server's quick restoration when this happened two days ago. It had something to do with permissions when moving from 1.16.4 to 1.16.5. but it's been running fine meantime.

However it's back down again as of two hours ago. The event planned there in one hour may be moved to a different location. You can check this page of updates:
http://missions4evomc.pbworks.com/w/page/142133859/2021_Live_Events#WedJan201000UTCPlayandLearnwithOlivetreeGroveontheEVOMC21MinecraftServerandDiscord

It will likely be fixed soon. In case it happens again, please know that server status messages such as "Server has stopped" and "Server has started" appear in the #serverchat channel of our Discord group, so check here if experiencing problems (and come back soon)
https://discord.com/channels/516656532499464202/516656532499464205

Let us know here if you have any questions about EVO Minecraft MOOC (or on Facebook, or in Discord; all are monitored)

Teacher Vance