Re : Blank sheets of paper become symbol of defiance in China protests

Michael Pugliese

Over the past 20 minutes, almost 2000 tweets have been uploaded using
the hashtags of major Chinese cities (such as #杭州), all with the text
"I'm single, can I get a husband on Twitter".

All of the accounts have been made in the past two months, and have
zero or few followers.

https://twitter.com/BenDoBrown/status/1597291452786429952...
https://twitter.com/i/status/1597291452786429952

This is happening during a very interesting period.

Namely, while content about the protests in China is being posted on
Twitter, using the hashtags of the cities as place markers.

Here's some context on those protests
https://twitter.com/BenDoBrown/status/1597298155112239105?s=20&t=w_CYSe_b2N7AFgXTWjXGoA
A quick guide to China’s white paper protests
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-63781716
Michael Pugliese

Charlie

The PRC government uses this spam tactic to make testimonies about the protests more difficult to find. Not only husbands, also ads for escorts.