"Love is now the law" in Cuba

Dayne Goodwin

Cuba approves same-sex marriage in a referendum
The Associated Press, September 27
https://www.npr.org/2022/09/27/1125344835/cuba-approves-same-sex-marriage

HAVANA — Cubans have approved a sweeping "family law" code that will
allow same-sex couples to marry and adopt as well as redefining rights
for children and grandparents, officials said Monday, though
opposition in the national referendum was unusually strong on the
Communist Party-governed island.

The measure — which contains more than 400 articles — was approved by
66.9% to 33.1%, the president of the National Electoral Council, Alina
Balseiro Gutiérrez, told official news media, though returns from a
few places remained to be counted.
. . .
President Miguel Díaz-Canel, who has promoted the law, acknowledged
questions about the measure as he voted on Sunday.

"Most of our people will vote in favor of the code, but it still has
issues that our society as a whole does not understand," he said.

On Monday, he celebrated approval of the measure, tweeting "Love is
now the law."

Passage "is to pay a debt to various generation of Cubans whose
domestic plans had been waiting years for this law," he added. "As of
today, we will be a better nation."

The measure had been approved by Cuba's Parliament, the National
Assembly, after years of debate about such reforms.

A major supporter of the measure was Mariela Castro, director of the
National Center for Sex Education, a promoter of rights for same-sex
couples, daughter of former President Raul Castro and niece of his
brother Fidel.
. . .