How to get involved in the mass mobilizations erupting after Roe overturned

Richard Modiano

"While some advocates have called for an “abortion Underground Railroad,” in their response to the repeal of Roe, Black and Brown reproductive justice organizers have asked white activists to instead support the already existing “network of abortion funds, practical support volunteers, and advocates who already work tirelessly to make every community a safe haven for those seeking access to abortion,” as Prism, an independent and nonprofit newsroom led by journalists of color, has reported.
This infrastructure includes already-existing organizations like Shout Your Abortion, the National Network of Abortion Funds, the Miscarriage + Abortion Hotline, If/When/How and Access Reproductive Justice, among others.
As Prism has reported, “More recently, hashtags like #AuntieNetwork and #UndergroundRailroad2019 surfaced online in an attempt to link people to reproductive care. No matter how well-intentioned, these efforts are fraught with potential danger and directly undermine the work abortion funds have been doing and will continue to do.”
Shout Your Abortion responded to the Supreme Court decision with, “FUCK THIS COURT. WE’RE DOING IT ANYWAY,” and West Virginia mutual aid organization Holler Health Justice tweeted “Come hell or high water, we’re funding abortion in these hills and hollers.”

Bradley Mayer

The smell of the Democrat Party is all over these "cautions".  The article doesn't however specify what the "dangers" are, as it quickly jumps to playing off women along ethno-racial lines.  Are the conservative Democrat Clyburn's tentacles deployed in this area as well?

Why wait and allow the far right to consolidate state power over women' bodies?  Now is the time to act provocatively, to challenge far right state power over women before it has a chance to entrench itself.  Let's expose the violence they must aim against women in order to implement their laws.  Isn't the Left sick of mere passive reaction to Far Right provocations?   Is it not time to turn the tables, as with the George Floyd uprising?

The "strategy" of bending the knee to the Democrat Party over women's rights is exposed as a total and abject failure!  I say ignore the Democrats and let a thousand flowers bloom!  Then unite all the forces that come forward into one big mass movement.  There are bound to be "ultra-left excesses" but the general disorganization of the US Left makes that inevitable, and "caution" will not prevent it.

Mark Lause

We got where we are by deferring to the Democratic officeholders.   The priority needs to be mass mobilizations, get the majority sentiment into the streets as much as we can.  As a corollary to that, we should be prepared to assist in the active resistance to more draconian efforts of the more idiotic state governments to go after women who seek abortions and those who assist them.

Roger Kulp

Quoth Bradley Mayer
[...]

Whether or not some of the hardcore keyboard Marxists like it, the only way we are going to guarantee reproductive rights in this country, is the same way we won these rights over fifty years ago. Which means, we have to get out there in the streets and organize. Whether we like it or not, we will meet up with a lot of people who both have had no political education, or have had no prior experience with political organizing. People who believe that voting, and voting for the Democrats in particular, is the best way to instigate change. These are the the same people who have elevated the late Supreme Court justice RBG,in death, into some kind of ultra-leftist, if not Marxist, champion of women's rights, that she never was in life. If you attend any of these marches and rallys, you might not find out, until after you get there, that the sponsors, and speakers, at said events, are part of what are basically front groups for the Democratic Party. The only way around this, is to get out there in the crowds at such events, and peruade those attending, that the Democratic Party, and the liberal class in general, is not the way to revolutionary change.

We may never be able to convert all of these groups, or their supporters, into hardcore Marxists, but we need to be able to work with them on an issue by issue basis. These people may never be able to grasp what we as Marxist-Leninist-Maoists know innately about liberalism, and how it feeds into the perpetuation of the capitalist class, and the intersectional evils they promote, but we will need the liberal class, in order to achieve such "small" victories, as reproductive rights, racial equality, etc.

Anthony Boynton

I understood Bradley to be advocating mass actions AND the underground railroad whereas the article at ZNET proposed caution.

Anthony

On Sat, Jul 2, 2022 at 9:28 AM Roger Kulp <leucovorinsaves@...> wrote:
Quoth Bradley Mayer
[...]

Bobby MacVeety

Before we can turn them into hard core Marxists we need them to understand they’re not “middle class”  but workers in the fight to disempower the bourgeoisie

On Jul 2, 2022, at 10:28 AM, Roger Kulp <leucovorinsaves@...> wrote:

Quoth Bradley Mayer
[...]

The starting point has to be movement building in response to what's become the Great Reactionary Overreach.  We don't get to decide the nuts and bolts of that, so we're left with going to the periodic mobilizations authorized by women affiliated with Democratic organizations.  We want a movement in which they are there and participating, but we will have no such movement if they are in control of the kill switch.  (This is a variation of what we've seen more recently with Occupy and, to some extent BLM.)

The blanket disparagement of anything that gets people in motion, from mass rallies to direct action is misplaced.  Over time, the test is going to be how they contribute to building independent mass movements.  We are not going to convince participants to be "hardcore Marxists" through their conversion to the perspectives "Marxist-Leninist-Maoists."  Nor is it to deliver sociological lectures to them about class identity at this point.

If Marxism has taught us anything in terms of practical understanding it's how people's experience of conditions under capitalism and their efforts to influence politics will educate them.  Our immediate task should be how to help translate the sentiment of the majority of Americans on this question into massive mobilizations.

The more existing organizations of the Left can cooperate in this, the easier the process will be, but it will not be easy.  I'd be much more optimistic about this had we some experience with such cooperation on, say, the obvious issue of electoral action, but that's decades of water under the bridge.

We will also have to work out how best to link the struggle around reproductive rights to other areas of concern to us.  In this case, though, I think an understanding of their relationships is pretty widespread, but nature of that understanding is murky among most people.  This will likely revive the very old argument about "single issue" or "multi issue" agitation.  We shouldn't even expect to have a preliminary answer at this point.

Cheers,
Mark L.

Michael Meeropol

One thing modern technology has created ---- Abortion do-it-yourselfr pills that can be stockpiled and shared --- We ought to publicize very widely their availability, what they do, how to use them and where to get them and URGE people to get a large supply.

If a woman WAITS till she is pregnant, it may take too long to get the pills and the "phone watching police" will know from your cell phone activity that you just ordered the pills and then can use other tracking devices in your phone to find out when you might have administered an abortion and arrest you ...

(Of course they won't do it for everyone --- it's just that anyone is potentially at risk --- )

Thats why having your own stash and the knowledge of how to use it makes it available not just to you but to anyone you know ...

I know some medical people who are actually working up a fact sheet to spread far and wide ---

Once it is ready, I will share it with Marxmail (what's "Marxist" about this story and following thread?   The whole point of Marx's political analysis was that the working class would respond to oppression by organizing and hopefully making a revolution .... WELL, women of child bearing age have just become an oppressed group due to the misogynist - religious bigoted minority of the country --- As a male past child bearing age, I volunteer as an ally --- but my guess is (as per Marx) that the women of America will recognize their oppression courtesy of the Supreme COurt and Red State Legislatures and fight back ...

Andrew Stewart

Democracy Now had a story on this a few days ago. While I certainly am adamantly pro choice and absolutely support whatever means that a woman opts for in order to have an abortion, it also is important to give credence to the fact that this method can, in some instances, have complications that are not simply slept off overnight. Medical professionals are still going to need to be involved so to maintain the safety of the abortion, otherwise things could go sour in some cases.

https://youtu.be/WY87Q2zHhOs

Alan Ginsberg

A transcript of the Democracy Now interview mentioned by Andrew Stewart can be found at https://www.democracynow.org/2022/7/1/rebecca_gomperts_prescribing_abortion_pills_abroad

Bradley Mayer

As Mark L. correctly points out, it is not a question of counterposing "conversion of activists into 'hard-core Marxists", to intervention into "Democrat-dominated political venues". It's not about either-or, it's about doing both.  It must be added that in general, this is not a perspective that seeks to "convert" activists into Marxists, hard or soft core.  That is up to the activists to decide for themselves, as self-determining subjects. That is because there hardly exists a mass - or even mass vanguard - revolutionary proletarian Marxist party that would be a pole of attraction.   Creation of that is the specific responsibility of Marxists.

BTW, these artificial counterpositions also "smell like Democratic Party spirit", with apologies to Kurt Cobain.  As such, references to "white activists" indicate typical Democratic Party divide and conquer tactics extended into a Marxism list.  So too with the references like "hard core" or "keyboard".  Knowingly or not, this betrays a typically Democratic Party hatred of Marxism and contempt for the Left, also transmitted into this list, a hate natural to this conservative capitalist party.

I think we can all agree that there is no "progressive wing of the ruling class" working in the Democratic Party.  The long running record of Clinton, Obama and now Biden confirm that beyond all possible doubt.  The Democrats are but an obstacle to be gotten out of the way, not an obstacle to reinforce.

In the particular case of the overturning of Row vs Wade, the Democrats seek to shield the Far Right Supreme Court from a righteous mass anger, in the same spirit that Nancy Pelosi seeks to "save the Republican Party".  (Through material aid to Far Right Trumpists in that party, apparently!  Go figure...)

In general, one does not confound the fact that left interventions in the US almost always take place in the shadow of the Democratic Party, with OTOH the act of adapting to and channeling of TeamBlue's reactionary political party line. Therein lies a real, and not artificial, distinction that makes a difference.  The USA is not a democracy, after all, where you have a choice of electoral party.