troll


Dayne Goodwin
 

I don't recall Louis being patient with trolls.


Les Schaffer
 

let me guess, you want someone thrown off the list?

On 6/11/22 7:43 AM, Dayne Goodwin wrote:
I don't recall Louis being patient with trolls.


Dayne Goodwin
 

that's up to you.  i want to call attention to the reality of trolling

On Sat, Jun 11, 2022 at 5:48 AM Les Schaffer <les.schaffer@...> wrote:
let me guess, you want someone thrown off the list?

 
On 6/11/22 7:43 AM, Dayne Goodwin wrote:
> I don't recall Louis being patient with trolls.







Marla Vijaya kumar
 

Well, I differ with many posts supporting the Nazi groups of Ukraine, in the garb of Ukr nationalism. In India 

also, we have Hindutva nationalism, in the garb of Hindu patriotism. We are well aware that kind of danger. 

Defeat fascism first and then talk about national identity and patriotism. In India, the mainstream Left has 

similar views as the Russian CP and Ukr CP. But I do not want to start a flame-war and so kept quiet. Let us 

agree to disagree and time will answer the question.

Vijaya Kumar Marla

On Saturday, June 11, 2022, 05:58:35 PM GMT+5:30, Dayne Goodwin <daynegoodwin@...> wrote:


that's up to you.  i want to call attention to the reality of trolling

On Sat, Jun 11, 2022 at 5:48 AM Les Schaffer <les.schaffer@...> wrote:
let me guess, you want someone thrown off the list?

 
On 6/11/22 7:43 AM, Dayne Goodwin wrote:
> I don't recall Louis being patient with trolls.







David Walters
 

Marla, with all respect to the class struggle in India, which I know little about except to know that India is not being invaded by China or Pakistan at the moment, but there have been no "posts supporting Nazi groups in Ukraine" here. THAT is inflaming a flame war, especially in the passive-aggressive manner that you do this in. You really just insulted alost the entire list here, so I urge you not to post again where you accuse me or anyone else of "supporting Nazis".

I welcome your participation on the war in Ukraine, but drop the accusations.

David


Bradley Mayer
 

Marla, we notice that the Far Right Modi Hindutva government in India - Donald Trump's #1 supporter in the world, where Trump experienced his largest mass rallies, from ~50,000 in a "Howdy Modi" rally in Texas (right wing Indian immigrants from middle class backgrounds who work in the tech industry, I also work in this industry, with many Indian immigrants, and am very familiar with the elitist "Brahmin" Hindutva type), to ~100,000 at a rally in India itself - is politically and ideologically aligned with the Far Right regime of Putin's Russia.  Trump and Modi stood on the same stage in both rallies.

Both are politically and ideologically aligned with the US Far Right, the #1 danger to world peace and human progress on the planet today.  Yes, more than Putin, whose own actions will speed the return of the US Far Right back into power by 2024.  I think the Putinists know this, and believe the prospect of a Far Right ascendency in the USA favors their own geopolitics.

The Putinists are just as likely to recruit "Ukronazis" to the Russian side as they are to "de-Nazify" them.

The US Far Right seeks to "De-Marxify" the USA.  The are quite explicit in their aim to conduct this political and ideological "defenestration".  The world's anti-communists have concentrated themselves in the USA and Canada since the end of WW2, where they have linked arms with the most fanatically antiworker, antisocialist, anti-Marxist bourgeoise in world history - the US bourgeoisie.  However they face the contradiction that it is in precisely the USA that the democratic mass majority want to move in an objectively progressive left direction.  We saw this contradiction emerge in full force with the George Floyd Uprising of 2019.  This contradiction introduces a very special angst within the US Far Right that spurs them on to launch the "defenestration" sooner rather than later.  The US Far Right can't kill the majority, but they can preemptively decapitate any potential leadership.

Leftists who fall for Putin's "de-Nazification" act, a pure Potemkin Village piece of Kabuki fakery, blind themselves to the actual international political dynamics in play here.  "De-Nazification" is a cynical manipulation of the Russian national memory of the Great Patriotic War, for home propaganda consumption. Everybody that opposes Russia is a "Nazi".  That is its first purpose, its second purpose is to spread confusion and disorientation within the world Left, to soften up and weaken Left resistance to the international ascendency of the Far Right, in India, the EU, Japan, the US and Russia.  This is accomplished symbolically by waving red flags with hammers and sickles on them.  But in fact the hammer and sickle flag is now used as a battle flag of military conquest and victory in Putin's Russia.

It is a very dangerous, even dire, situation we have entered into in the present period.  The Left must get this right, by throwing off layers of fossilized behaviors and ideologies accumulated over the last 100 years, if we want to start from the ascendency of counterrevolution in the Soviet Union in the 1920's.  

Understanding that a counterrevolutionary regime arose to power in Soviet Russia by the end of that decade now long ago, is the first step towards breaking up all the mineralized fossil bones accumulated on the Left since then.   Otherwise I'll go out on a limb and predict that much of the Left as we know it today is going to be wiped out, consigned to Marx's famous dustbin.

A meteoric mass political extinction event is coming!


Marla Vijaya kumar
 

Dear Bradley,

                           Thank you for your patient explanation. The Communists in India have no illusions about the

 Putin regime. But our understanding of the situation coincides with the stand of Russian and Ukrainian CPs. 

We oppose Putin as much as any other progressive organization anywhere in the world. 

But I want you to take cognizance of the repression against communists in Ukraine and the Russian speaking

 population in general by the Nazi regime of Zelensky. Starting with the CIA sponsored "Orange Revolution" 

in Ukraine, there is a systemic hatred being built up against Russian people. We, in India are very much familiar

 with the hatred being being fanned by Modi's RSS/ Hindutva elements against religious minorities in our

 country. Fascism invents an enemy and prospers on creating a mass hysteria. The Ukrainian communists have

 escaped to Donetsk and from there they have started a resistance movement against the Azov Regiment's geocide

 of Russian speaking populations. Here in India we have access to many videos of Donetsk Red forces, saluting 

to Red Flag. The communists have a significant role in the DPR forces. Wherever they occupy a city, they raise

 the red flag.  I wonder why the Left in the West ignores this. I have no intention of entering in to a lengthy 

debate, sine I feel everyone is entitled to his opinion.

Vijaya Kumar Marla

On Saturday, June 11, 2022, 10:39:13 PM GMT+5:30, Bradley Mayer <blmayer062@...> wrote:


Marla, we notice that the Far Right Modi Hindutva government in India - Donald Trump's #1 supporter in the world, where Trump experienced his largest mass rallies, from ~50,000 in a "Howdy Modi" rally in Texas (right wing Indian immigrants from middle class backgrounds who work in the tech industry, I also work in this industry, with many Indian immigrants, and am very familiar with the elitist "Brahmin" Hindutva type), to ~100,000 at a rally in India itself - is politically and ideologically aligned with the Far Right regime of Putin's Russia.  Trump and Modi stood on the same stage in both rallies.

Both are politically and ideologically aligned with the US Far Right, the #1 danger to world peace and human progress on the planet today.  Yes, more than Putin, whose own actions will speed the return of the US Far Right back into power by 2024.  I think the Putinists know this, and believe the prospect of a Far Right ascendency in the USA favors their own geopolitics.

The Putinists are just as likely to recruit "Ukronazis" to the Russian side as they are to "de-Nazify" them.

The US Far Right seeks to "De-Marxify" the USA.  The are quite explicit in their aim to conduct this political and ideological "defenestration".  The world's anti-communists have concentrated themselves in the USA and Canada since the end of WW2, where they have linked arms with the most fanatically antiworker, antisocialist, anti-Marxist bourgeoise in world history - the US bourgeoisie.  However they face the contradiction that it is in precisely the USA that the democratic mass majority want to move in an objectively progressive left direction.  We saw this contradiction emerge in full force with the George Floyd Uprising of 2019.  This contradiction introduces a very special angst within the US Far Right that spurs them on to launch the "defenestration" sooner rather than later.  The US Far Right can't kill the majority, but they can preemptively decapitate any potential leadership.

Leftists who fall for Putin's "de-Nazification" act, a pure Potemkin Village piece of Kabuki fakery, blind themselves to the actual international political dynamics in play here.  "De-Nazification" is a cynical manipulation of the Russian national memory of the Great Patriotic War, for home propaganda consumption. Everybody that opposes Russia is a "Nazi".  That is its first purpose, its second purpose is to spread confusion and disorientation within the world Left, to soften up and weaken Left resistance to the international ascendency of the Far Right, in India, the EU, Japan, the US and Russia.  This is accomplished symbolically by waving red flags with hammers and sickles on them.  But in fact the hammer and sickle flag is now used as a battle flag of military conquest and victory in Putin's Russia.

It is a very dangerous, even dire, situation we have entered into in the present period.  The Left must get this right, by throwing off layers of fossilized behaviors and ideologies accumulated over the last 100 years, if we want to start from the ascendency of counterrevolution in the Soviet Union in the 1920's.  

Understanding that a counterrevolutionary regime arose to power in Soviet Russia by the end of that decade now long ago, is the first step towards breaking up all the mineralized fossil bones accumulated on the Left since then.   Otherwise I'll go out on a limb and predict that much of the Left as we know it today is going to be wiped out, consigned to Marx's famous dustbin.

A meteoric mass political extinction event is coming!


Michael Pugliese
 

On Sun, Jun 12, 2022 at 7:17 AM Marla Vijaya kumar via groups.io
<marlavk@...> wrote: Several paragraphs , I will
comment on , mainly via presenting website links contesting or
opposing assertions made , in just about every sentence.

Repression against Communists and Socialists, of all tendencies and
alignments , whether one is categorizing them as coming from Stalinist
or neo-Trotskyist or post-Trotskyist or other traditions outside those
somewhat archaic sets of two boxes, in Ukraine , is very real,
https://fuckyeahmarxismleninism.tumblr.com/post/627910831883124737/august-30-1987-birthday-of-andrei-brazhevsky
("Andrei Brazhevsky was born on August 30, 1987. He was one of the
most active participants in the anti-fascist and Marxist movement in
Odessa, Ukraine, and one of the founders of Union Borotba (Struggle)
in Odessa. He died at the hands of the neo-Nazis on May 2, 2014, as he
tried to protect defenseless people in the House of Trade Unions...")
. Investigations into human rights violations related to the violence
in Odessa on 2 May , 2014 , see ,
http://ohchr.org/Documents/Countries/UA/HRMMUReport15June2014.pdf , in
particular pages 9-17 , via ,"
Odesa "Massacre" Propaganda vs. the Facts ,
https://khpg.org/en/1407453894 , for a counter-narrative.

https://nitter.koyu.space/_AIF1/status/1534975570739482624#m (Mikhail
Kononovich of the Komsomol of Ukraine , and his Brother , who were
arrested some months ago and have had their ribs broken , I assume by
SBU interogators , in 2014 , Mikhail was stabbed and beaten ,
https://challenge-magazine.org/2022/03/07/meeting-mikhail-kononovich/
, further info see ,
https://www.peoplesworld.org/article/ukrainian-communist-youth-leaders-reportedly-arrested-by-government-targeted-for-death/
& https://www.internationalmagz.com/articles/set-the-kononovich-brothers-free
.

Re : "geocide (sic.) of Russian speaking populations , on the Partido
FB Group , this rather badly written Russian report , was posted
recently, https://democracyfund.ru/userfiles/Ukrainian_Crimes_2017-2020.pdf
, co-written by Maxim Grigoriev and D.V. Sablin. The credibility of
Grigoriev , can be assessed as rather low given he asserted to a
reporter from Telesur , the massacre in Bucha was a fake news story ,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z207WkNftgE . On the 14,000 killed in
the Donbas , since 2014, see,
https://www.stopfake.org/en/fake-ukraine-committed-genocide-against-donbas-inhabitants/
.

You note : "Here in India we have access to many videos of Donetsk Red
forces, saluting to Red Flag. The communists have a significant role
in the DPR forces. Wherever they occupy a city, they raise the red
flag. I wonder why the Left in the West ignores this." I have seen
many of those via Twitter and Telegram channels, and FB Groups which
align with the DPR such as Solidarity with Donbass & Antifascists in
Ukraine. However , in reply to Patrick Lancaster , a pro-DPR
"journalist," whose dispatches I have seen , not only via his YouTube
channel, but, via an Indian TV News outlet as well , see ,"K @KevNFNY
Mar 2 , Replying to @PLnewstoday
"Members of Russian far-right groups have played an important role
among the pro-Russian separatists, more so than on the Ukrainian side.
Leaders of the Donetsk People's Militia are closely linked to the
neo-Nazi party Russian National Unity (RNU) led by Alexander
Barkashov" https://twitter.com/KevNFNY/status/1499229759691177988?s=20&t=OeLKWK0PX4WbxX_nSuxRUw
.

On Lancaster , see,
https://www.reddit.com/r/UkraineWarVideoReport/comments/tzmyxa/patrick_lancaster_is_a_russian_propagandist/
, https://glasnostgone.org/2022/02/22/in-ukraine-russia-uses-corpses-in-false-flag-attack/
, (Lancaster on the far right channel of Alex Jones ,
https://brandnewtube.com/watch/american-reporter-in-ukraine-exposing-the-globalist-ww3-russian-false-flag-op-in-real-time_vOMd7s3O1Y3Fzk2.html
) , https://www.bellingcat.com/news/2022/02/28/exploiting-cadavers-and-faked-ieds-experts-debunk-staged-pre-war-provocation-in-the-donbas/
,

On the stellar human rights record of the "Donetsk People's Republic ,
" see , the reportage contained in this book by a journalist from
Donetsk , ,"In Isolation : Dispatches from Occupied Donbas," by
Stanislav Aseyev. https://books.huri.harvard.edu/books/in-isolation .
Excerpts of each chapter , are at the url. A gruesome and graphic
account of torture in a DPR torture center follows , via
https://khpg.org/en/1608809257

"In ‘Izoliatsiia’, a separate room with a table and relevant equipment
was used to administer electric shocks. For example, one detainee was
tied to the table, hand cuffed and hooded. Perpetrators attached one
electrode to his genitalia and inserted a metal tube with a second
electrode into his anus. He was subjected to painful electric shocks
for several minutes, during which he lost consciousness several times.
When he screamed, they put a cloth into his mouth. Another detainee
told OHCHR that he was put on the table, hooded and with his arms and
legs tied. Perpetrators attached electric wires to his feet and poured
water on them. Some detainees held in ‘Izoliatsiia’ could not prevent
themselves from urinating and defecating during electrocution.
[…A]nother detainee told OHCHR that [...h]is genitalia was also
repeatedly hit with a metal rod. As a result of this torture and
sexual violence, the skin on his genitalia turned black and peeled off
over several weeks. After refusing to confess to espionage, one
detainee was put in a cell where one of the cellmates took off his
pants and attempted to force the victim to engage in oral sex. Another
detainee said that he witnessed the head of the ‘Izoliatsiia’
detention facility come to the cell and order detainees to engage in
oral sex. One detainee told OHCHR that while in ‘Izoliatsiia’, he
heard guards scream at female detainees on their way to the shower:
‘Go shave your [vaginas]. You are about to go upstairs to work it
off.’ […] Several detainees reported that in ‘Izoliatsiia’, a health
professional was present during their interrogations and torture. The
man revived those who lost consciousness, and guided the perpetrators
about how to torture to inflict maximum pain without causing death. He
also examined detainees before the torture and asked about their
medical conditions; measured their blood pressure or pulse; and gave
injections. He told one detainee during torture: ‘We can kill you
anytime we want.’”

Oddly, not only pro-Ukrainian and accidental civilians, but also
numerous former so-called “insurgents” (opolchentsy) – i.e. previous
DNR/LNR volunteer fighters or mercenaries from both Ukraine and Russia
– have been held in Izoliatsiia and other detention facilities. During
his more than two years at Izoliatsiia, Aseyev personally met and
talked to:

Yurii Tchaikovskii – a Colonel of the DNR’s so-called "5th Brigade,”
Andrei Bogomaz – a Major General of the DNR’s so-called "Ministry of
Emergency Situations,”
Vitalii Ivanienko – a Lieutenant Colonel of the DNR’s so-called
“Vitiaz’ Battalion,”
Andrei Ibragimov – a Russian citizen and Major of the LNR’s so-called
"4th Brigade,”
Evgenii Tverdovskii – a Russian citizen and Lieutenant of the Russian
Federation’s navy,
Sergei Stavnichnii – a Lieutenant Colonel of the LNR’s so-called "4th LNR,”
Aleksei Sidorov – a Captain of the DNR’s so-called "Legion Battalion,”
Aleksandr Trudnenko – a Russian citizen and Senior Lieutenant of the
DNR’s so-called "Vitiaz’ Battalion,”
Denis Kustov – a Russian citizen and member of the DNR’s
Radio-Electronic Intelligence Battalion,
Aleksandr Shestakov – a Russian citizen accused of drug trafficking.

There were additional pro-Russian Ukrainian or Russian inmates during
Aseyev’s term held in Izoliatsiia. These fighters not only sat in the
same cells as those Ukrainians accused and sentenced because of their
real or alleged pro-Ukrainian activities. The pro-Russian prisoners at
Izoliatsiia went through similarly brutal torture often designed to
extract preformulated confessions on, for instance, spying for Kyiv.
The brutal persecution of “one’s own people” is a practice reminiscent
of the Stalinist purges of the Bolshevik party and Soviet regime of
the 1930s.

Stanislav Aseyev is an Expert on the Donbas with the Ukrainian
Institute for the Future in Kyiv, and author of, among other books, “A
‘Light Path’: The History of a Concentration Camp” (L’viv: Old Lion
Press, 2020).

Andreas Umland is a Research Fellow at the Stockholm Center for
Eastern European Studies, and editor of the book series “Soviet and
Post-Soviet Politics and Society” published by ibidem Press in
Stuttgart.



A larger report on prisoners in the occupied Donbas has been published
in April 2021 by the Swedish Institute of International Affairs here:
https://www.ui.se/butiken/uis-publikationer/ui-report/2021/prisoners-as-political-commodities-in-the-occupied-areas-of-the-donbas/.


Bradley Mayer
 

Thanks Michael.  For a deep historical background on "Red-Brown alliances" that is also linked up to the cast of characters referenced by Michael, see also https://libcom.org/article/investigation-red-brown-alliances-third-positionism-russia-ukraine-syria-and-western-left


Avram Rips
 


On Sunday, June 12, 2022, Bradley Mayer <blmayer062@...> wrote:
Thanks Michael.  For a deep historical background on "Red-Brown alliances" that is also linked up to the cast of characters referenced by Michael, see also https://libcom.org/article/investigation-red-brown-alliances-third-positionism-russia-ukraine-syria-and-western-left


Avram Rips
 

Definitely wasn’t. He couldn’t stand Mate, Norton et al. They weren’t trolls per se , but in general didn’t put up with the then pro Assad bs now basically pro Putin.


On Saturday, June 11, 2022, Dayne Goodwin <daynegoodwin@...> wrote:
I don't recall Louis being patient with trolls.


Marla Vijaya kumar
 

As I made it clear, I am not going to debate on this. I have my own sources and my stand is with the CPI 

and CPIM.

So, please excuse me.

Vijaya Kumar Marla

On Sunday, June 12, 2022, 10:23:02 PM GMT+5:30, Michael Pugliese <michael.098762001@...> wrote:


On Sun, Jun 12, 2022 at 7:17 AM Marla Vijaya kumar via groups.io
<marlavk=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote: Several paragraphs , I will
comment on , mainly via presenting website links contesting or
opposing assertions made , in just about every sentence.

Repression against Communists and Socialists, of all tendencies and
alignments , whether one is categorizing them as coming from Stalinist
or neo-Trotskyist or post-Trotskyist or other traditions outside those
somewhat archaic sets of two boxes, in Ukraine , is very real,
https://fuckyeahmarxismleninism.tumblr.com/post/627910831883124737/august-30-1987-birthday-of-andrei-brazhevsky
("Andrei Brazhevsky was born on August 30, 1987. He was one of the
most active participants in the anti-fascist and Marxist movement in
Odessa, Ukraine, and one of the founders of Union Borotba (Struggle)
in Odessa. He died at the hands of the neo-Nazis on May 2, 2014, as he
tried to protect defenseless people in the House of Trade Unions...")
. Investigations into human rights violations related to the violence
in Odessa on 2 May , 2014 , see ,
http://ohchr.org/Documents/Countries/UA/HRMMUReport15June2014.pdf , in
particular pages 9-17 , via ,"
Odesa "Massacre" Propaganda vs. the Facts ,
https://khpg.org/en/1407453894 , for a counter-narrative.

https://nitter.koyu.space/_AIF1/status/1534975570739482624#m (Mikhail
Kononovich of the Komsomol of Ukraine , and his Brother , who were
arrested some months ago and have had their ribs broken , I assume by
SBU interogators , in 2014 , Mikhail was stabbed and beaten ,
https://challenge-magazine.org/2022/03/07/meeting-mikhail-kononovich/
, further info see ,
https://www.peoplesworld.org/article/ukrainian-communist-youth-leaders-reportedly-arrested-by-government-targeted-for-death/
& https://www.internationalmagz.com/articles/set-the-kononovich-brothers-free
.

Re : "geocide (sic.) of Russian speaking populations , on the Partido
FB Group , this rather badly written Russian report , was posted
recently, https://democracyfund.ru/userfiles/Ukrainian_Crimes_2017-2020.pdf
, co-written by Maxim Grigoriev and D.V. Sablin. The credibility of
Grigoriev , can be assessed as rather low given he asserted to a
reporter from Telesur ,  the massacre in Bucha was a fake news story ,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z207WkNftgE . On the 14,000 killed in
the Donbas , since 2014, see,
https://www.stopfake.org/en/fake-ukraine-committed-genocide-against-donbas-inhabitants/
.

You note : "Here in India we have access to many videos of Donetsk Red
forces, saluting to Red Flag. The communists have a significant role
in the DPR forces. Wherever they occupy a city, they raise the red
flag.  I wonder why the Left in the West ignores this." I have seen
many of those via Twitter and Telegram channels, and FB Groups which
align with the DPR such as Solidarity with Donbass & Antifascists in
Ukraine. However , in reply to Patrick Lancaster , a pro-DPR
"journalist," whose dispatches I have seen , not only via his YouTube
channel, but, via an Indian TV News outlet as well , see ,"K @KevNFNY
Mar 2 , Replying to @PLnewstoday
"Members of Russian far-right groups have played an important role
among the pro-Russian separatists, more so than on the Ukrainian side.
Leaders of the Donetsk People's Militia are closely linked to the
neo-Nazi party Russian National Unity (RNU) led by Alexander
Barkashov" https://twitter.com/KevNFNY/status/1499229759691177988?s=20&t=OeLKWK0PX4WbxX_nSuxRUw
.

On Lancaster , see,
https://www.reddit.com/r/UkraineWarVideoReport/comments/tzmyxa/patrick_lancaster_is_a_russian_propagandist/
, https://glasnostgone.org/2022/02/22/in-ukraine-russia-uses-corpses-in-false-flag-attack/
, (Lancaster on the far right channel of Alex Jones ,
https://brandnewtube.com/watch/american-reporter-in-ukraine-exposing-the-globalist-ww3-russian-false-flag-op-in-real-time_vOMd7s3O1Y3Fzk2.html
) , https://www.bellingcat.com/news/2022/02/28/exploiting-cadavers-and-faked-ieds-experts-debunk-staged-pre-war-provocation-in-the-donbas/
,

On the stellar human rights record of the "Donetsk People's Republic ,
" see , the reportage contained in this book by a journalist from
Donetsk , ,"In Isolation : Dispatches from Occupied Donbas," by
Stanislav Aseyev. https://books.huri.harvard.edu/books/in-isolation .
Excerpts of each chapter , are at the url. A gruesome and graphic
account of torture in a DPR torture center follows , via
https://khpg.org/en/1608809257

"In ‘Izoliatsiia’, a separate room with a table and relevant equipment
was used to administer electric shocks. For example, one detainee was
tied to the table, hand cuffed and hooded. Perpetrators attached one
electrode to his genitalia and inserted a metal tube with a second
electrode into his anus. He was subjected to painful electric shocks
for several minutes, during which he lost consciousness several times.
When he screamed, they put a cloth into his mouth. Another detainee
told OHCHR that he was put on the table, hooded and with his arms and
legs tied. Perpetrators attached electric wires to his feet and poured
water on them. Some detainees held in ‘Izoliatsiia’ could not prevent
themselves from urinating and defecating during electrocution.
[…A]nother detainee told OHCHR that [...h]is genitalia was also
repeatedly hit with a metal rod. As a result of this torture and
sexual violence, the skin on his genitalia turned black and peeled off
over several weeks. After refusing to confess to espionage, one
detainee was put in a cell where one of the cellmates took off his
pants and attempted to force the victim to engage in oral sex. Another
detainee said that he witnessed the head of the ‘Izoliatsiia’
detention facility come to the cell and order detainees to engage in
oral sex. One detainee told OHCHR that while in ‘Izoliatsiia’, he
heard guards scream at female detainees on their way to the shower:
‘Go shave your [vaginas]. You are about to go upstairs to work it
off.’ […] Several detainees reported that in ‘Izoliatsiia’, a health
professional was present during their interrogations and torture. The
man revived those who lost consciousness, and guided the perpetrators
about how to torture to inflict maximum pain without causing death. He
also examined detainees before the torture and asked about their
medical conditions; measured their blood pressure or pulse; and gave
injections. He told one detainee during torture: ‘We can kill you
anytime we want.’”

Oddly, not only pro-Ukrainian and accidental civilians, but also
numerous former so-called “insurgents” (opolchentsy) – i.e. previous
DNR/LNR volunteer fighters or mercenaries from both Ukraine and Russia
– have been held in Izoliatsiia and other detention facilities. During
his more than two years at Izoliatsiia, Aseyev personally met and
talked to:

Yurii Tchaikovskii – a Colonel of the DNR’s so-called "5th Brigade,”
Andrei Bogomaz – a Major General of the DNR’s so-called "Ministry of
Emergency Situations,”
Vitalii Ivanienko – a Lieutenant Colonel of the DNR’s so-called
“Vitiaz’ Battalion,”
Andrei Ibragimov – a Russian citizen and Major of the LNR’s so-called
"4th Brigade,”
Evgenii Tverdovskii – a Russian citizen and Lieutenant of the Russian
Federation’s navy,
Sergei Stavnichnii – a Lieutenant Colonel of the LNR’s so-called "4th LNR,”
Aleksei Sidorov – a Captain of the DNR’s so-called "Legion Battalion,”
Aleksandr Trudnenko – a Russian citizen and Senior Lieutenant of the
DNR’s so-called "Vitiaz’ Battalion,”
Denis Kustov – a Russian citizen and member of the DNR’s
Radio-Electronic Intelligence Battalion,
Aleksandr Shestakov – a Russian citizen accused of drug trafficking.

There were additional pro-Russian Ukrainian or Russian inmates during
Aseyev’s term held in Izoliatsiia. These fighters not only sat in the
same cells as those Ukrainians accused and sentenced because of their
real or alleged pro-Ukrainian activities. The pro-Russian prisoners at
Izoliatsiia went through similarly brutal torture often designed to
extract preformulated confessions on, for instance, spying for Kyiv.
The brutal persecution of “one’s own people” is a practice reminiscent
of the Stalinist purges of the Bolshevik party and Soviet regime of
the 1930s.

Stanislav Aseyev is an Expert on the Donbas with the Ukrainian
Institute for the Future in Kyiv, and author of, among other books, “A
‘Light Path’: The History of a Concentration Camp” (L’viv: Old Lion
Press, 2020).

Andreas Umland is a Research Fellow at the Stockholm Center for
Eastern European Studies, and editor of the book series “Soviet and
Post-Soviet Politics and Society” published by ibidem Press in
Stuttgart.



A larger report on prisoners in the occupied Donbas has been published
in April 2021 by the Swedish Institute of International Affairs here:
https://www.ui.se/butiken/uis-publikationer/ui-report/2021/prisoners-as-political-commodities-in-the-occupied-areas-of-the-donbas/.






D Derwin
 

Bradley, interesting. Isn't it the case that after irreconcilable but previously latent differences on previous wars (WW1 and Korea) and an invasion (Hungary) the left internationally produced in each case a new division and development? The departures after 1914 are well known. In the trotskyist movement after Korea there were departures from the Fourth International by new currents, and after 1956 the New Left was founded. And didn't Eurocommunism come, at least to some extent, out of dissidence on the invasion of Czechoslovakia?  It is probable that a new configuration of the left, across traditions and currents too, will follow the war in Ukraine. The points of difference (war of anti-imperialist defense v. proxy inter-imperialist war, etc.) and the wider politics behind them are well known to readers of this list.