NYT: Israeli Police Attack Mourners at Palestinian Journalist’s Funeral

Bradley Mayer

First they assassinate the journalist, then they assassinate the coffin.  No end to the humiliations meted out by the so-called "Jewish state".

"the Israeli police said they “took enforcement action” after some mourners began chanting “nationalist incitement” and after police officers had given the crowd a warning".  My word, "nationalists".  Coincidentally, that is how the Russian MoD routinely refers to Ukrainian soldiers killed in action.  It is also how Sinn Fein in Ulster is referred to in the media.

IDF has already walked back its initial, "go-to" lie:

"The Israeli Army said on Friday that while it was possible Ms. Abu Akleh was mistakenly killed by Israeli fire, its initial investigation suggested that she might also have been hit by a Palestinian gunman."

"Flags and slogans" not allowed in the "Middle East's only democracy":

"On Thursday, Israeli police warned Ms. Abu Akleh’s family about displaying “flags and slogans” at the funeral, said Ahmad Tibi, a Palestinian member of the Knesset, Israel’s Parliament.

"At one point during the funeral a man holding up a wreath stood between the pallbearers and police. Later, as the black hearse carrying her coffin began to slowly make its way through the crowd, an Israeli police officer ripped three Palestinian flags off the vehicle and threw them to the ground, video showed."

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/05/13/world/shireen-abu-akleh-funeral-israel

Jeffrey Masko <j.alan.masko@...>

I think you’re talking about US media not media. The fact of the matter is while there are parallels between the US media portrayals of the Israeli-Palestinian occupation, there are some significant differences. For one, th difference in how diifferent media systems cover the Ukrainisn war. Another is which narratives are used to frame them, here th terrorist frame is absent for one.

US media is relying on the frames of mad dictator, unchecked aggression, unprovoked violence, and a fight for freedom purely in a defensive mode, alongside omtting any real historical context. Of course we know wet those counter narratives are because they’ve been repeated incessantly by people on this list looking to justify their positions.

On May 13, 2022, at 9:02 AM, Bradley Mayer <blmayer062@...> wrote:

[...]

Farans Kalosar

The topic post draws attention to a reported attack by Israeli police and quoted statements by said police.  Where in the New York Times piece cited is there anything about  "mad dictator, unchecked aggression, unprovoked violence, and a fight for freedom purely in a defensive mode?"

Perhaps Professor Masko was responding to a different post and attached his--of course irrefutable--comment to this one by mistake?

Jeffrey Masko <j.alan.masko@...>

I was talking about the parallel narrative frames that the New York time uses as ideological shortcuts. I don’t think you understand the point of my post.

I guess childish taunts do not deserve a post by our moderators, but calling out bullshit does?

Don’t expect a response from me if your post doesn’t make any sense.

On May 14, 2022, at 8:16 PM, Farans Kalosar <fkalosar101@...> wrote:

The topic post draws attention to a reported attack by Israeli police and quoted statements by said police.  Where in the New York Times piece cited is there anything about  "mad dictator, unchecked aggression, unprovoked violence, and a fight for freedom purely in a defensive mode?"

Perhaps Professor Masko was responding to a different post and attached his--of course irrefutable--comment to this one by mistake?

Anthony Boynton

Jeff actually has a point here. Why don't both of you move on to another thread. Instead of Farans' sarcasm and Jeff's whining, why don't you both post something substantial about the media or maybe about the information war within the Russian war against Ukraine.

Anthony

On Sun, May 15, 2022 at 9:21 AM Jeffrey Masko <j.alan.masko@...> wrote:
I was talking about the parallel narrative frames that the New York time uses as ideological shortcuts. I don’t think you understand the point of my post.

I guess childish taunts do not deserve a post by our moderators, but calling out bullshit does?

Don’t expect a response from me if your post doesn’t make any sense.

On May 14, 2022, at 8:16 PM, Farans Kalosar <fkalosar101@...> wrote:

The topic post draws attention to a reported attack by Israeli police and quoted statements by said police.  Where in the New York Times piece cited is there anything about  "mad dictator, unchecked aggression, unprovoked violence, and a fight for freedom purely in a defensive mode?"

Perhaps Professor Masko was responding to a different post and attached his--of course irrefutable--comment to this one by mistake?

Farans Kalosar

I have asked a perfectly serious question--where in the specific NYT article that Professor Masko is attacking is there any reference to "mad dictator[s], unchecked aggression, unprovoked violence, and a fight for freedom purely in a defensive mode?"

The answer is that--silence being the evidence--there is none.  Ergo--the post to which I was replying is not a serious entry in a vigorous but civil debate.  There is nothing "childish" in pointing that out, and this is not a "taunt."

George Lakoff's obsessive nattering about "framing" is merely a metaphor that has been metastasized to a theory through the unnecessary proliferation of bourgeois academic "disciplines."  This is an intellectual disease.

Jeffrey Masko <j.alan.masko@...>

On May 15, 2022, at 9:18 AM, Farans Kalosar <fkalosar101@...> wrote:

I have asked a perfectly serious question--where in the specific NYT article that Professor Masko is attacking is there any reference to "mad dictator[s], unchecked aggression, unprovoked violence, and a fight for freedom purely in a defensive mode?"

The answer is that--silence being the evidence--there is none.  Ergo--the post to which I was replying is not a serious entry in a vigorous but civil debate.  There is nothing "childish" in pointing that out, and this is not a "taunt."

George Lakoff's obsessive nattering about "framing" is merely a metaphor that has been metastasized to a theory through the unnecessary proliferation of bourgeois academic "disciplines."  This is an intellectual disease.

Jeffrey Masko <j.alan.masko@...>

My post referred to an early one I made about how media structures work. I even used a link to a film to help explicate those in case you didn’t want to read something more about the subject.

If you don’t know what I’m talking about that’s certainly not my fault.  Take your pissing contest and anti-intellectualism  elsewhere.  And try David Snow instead of Lakoff, btw framing is not an obscure concept in media studies.

You can call me Dr. Masko as I am not a working professor.

On May 15, 2022, at 9:52 AM, Jeffrey Masko <j.alan.masko@...> wrote:

On May 15, 2022, at 9:18 AM, Farans Kalosar <fkalosar101@...> wrote:

I have asked a perfectly serious question--where in the specific NYT article that Professor Masko is attacking is there any reference to "mad dictator[s], unchecked aggression, unprovoked violence, and a fight for freedom purely in a defensive mode?"

The answer is that--silence being the evidence--there is none.  Ergo--the post to which I was replying is not a serious entry in a vigorous but civil debate.  There is nothing "childish" in pointing that out, and this is not a "taunt."

George Lakoff's obsessive nattering about "framing" is merely a metaphor that has been metastasized to a theory through the unnecessary proliferation of bourgeois academic "disciplines."  This is an intellectual disease.

Farans Kalosar

Your reply to the post cited had nothing to do with the post to which it was attached. QED. This is obvious.  Why try to lie about it? It's a mistake that a bigger person would admit and laugh off.

But I agree, Doctor, that you are certainly not a working professor.

In fact, there's a hell of a whine in your transmission that you should attend to, as it is drowning out whatever value there may be in your endless livestream of bullying bombast..