Will things ever return to normal? It doesn't look that way right now | Salon.com

hari kumar

hari kumar

Louis: What the article in Salon does not really note (I think) is that the deeper the reservoir of non-vaccinated people, the more mutation(s) rolls on. Of course this has implications for world-coverage. It is a new aspect of Frederick Engels' observations that the bourgeoisie only dealt seriously with 'contagion' by measures including those of Chadwick's water purification etc - when they are threatened. Likely at some stage they will want to deal with the reservoir in the poorer worlds. I do not think the 'Salon'-observations about no meaning to herd immunity are really that 'black' as put in the article. The R factor and replication of this virus suggests strongly that 70% (at best double coverage vaccination) is simply not wide enough to get that herd immunity. Unless, as Dr Drosten argyles (Robert Koch Inst. Berlin) that that remaining 30% will contribute to her immunity by dying of COVID or at least getting it and having some immunity. Again - the race is a world wide one, and there will be mutations. this is not like SARS was which was so lethal, it killed the host(s) and thus could not spread.  Hari Kumar  


This is a more nuanced article stating that it is now about personal protection and not about obtaining 'herd immunity' through vaccination. Relevant part:

On Friday, that hope went out the door. The CDC internal health document obtained by the Post and the Times urges federal health officials to "acknowledge the war has changed." What changed the CDC's approach to COVID was "unpublished data from outbreak investigations and outside studies showing that vaccinated individuals infected with delta may be able to transmit the virus as easily as those who are unvaccinated," according to the Post.

Herd immunity has to do with transmissibility. A disease goes away when enough people become immune to the infectious agent such that it can no longer be transmitted among a population. The CDC on Friday essentially admitted that being vaccinated against COVID doesn't make you immune. You can still contract the disease, especially the delta variant, and having become infected, you can still transmit the disease to others whether you have symptoms or not.


Louis Proyect

New CDC data makes the dangers of the delta variant clear — we have to face that we're in this for the long haul