Re: When Your Enemy's Enemy is Not a Friend - New Politics

Louis Proyect

On 3/26/21 2:59 AM, Roger Kulp wrote:
I know many of you have criticized Max Blumenthal, and the Grayzone, but Max does a very good job here exposing just who is behing the stories of Uyghur genocide in China. Including who funding the Chinese exiles providing these stories to US media and government.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hgAznkTcHQ
_._,_._,_

Well, that's how he makes a living. That's how all of these websites collect money, from Global Research to Consortium News. They "follow the money" in order to expose some ties between the NED, et al, and some group of activists as a way of defending Xi Jinping, Bashar al-Assad, Viktor Yanukovych, et al.

That relieves them of addressing the more important questions of whether or not Uighurs are being forcefully assimilated. If you study the history of Xinjiang from the 19th century, you are dealing with colonialism. Blumenthal is a defender of colonialism pure and simple. For him, the history of Xinjiang does not start when the Qing Dynasty took it over, just like the USA took over Mexico. It started when liberals began to call attention to what amounted to concentration camps.

Leftists also called attention to China's colonization and forced assimilation but never he responded to them since he had no answers. David Brody is both a Marxist and a Uighur scholar. If you are going to recommend Blumenthal to Marxmail, I'd also recommend Brophy's analysis since he not only speaks Uighur and Chinese but has actually been to Xinjiang:

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2018/05/xinjiang-uyghur-china-repression-surveillance-islamophobia

The camps are only the culmination of a series of repressive policy innovations introduced by party secretary Chen Quanguo since his arrival in Xinjiang in 2016. Many of these were already evident on a trip I made to Xinjiang last year: police stations at every major intersection, ubiquitous checkpoints where Chinese sail through as Uyghurs line up for humiliating inspections, elderly men and women trudging through the streets on anti-terror drills, television and radio broadcasts haranguing the Uyghurs to love the party and blame themselves for their second-class status.

I saw machine gun-toting police stop young Uyghur men on the street to check their phones for mandatory government spyware. Some have simply ditched their smartphones, lest an “extremist” video clip or text message land them in prison. On a weekday in the Uyghur center of Kashgar, I stood and watched as the city went into lockdown, making way for divisions of PLA soldiers to march by, chanting out their determination to maintain “stability.”