Re: The Guardian on a New US Civil War

Farans Kalosar

On Tue, Jun 28, 2022 at 09:41 AM, David Walters wrote:
I agree with Andrew here in his parsing of Bannon, et al and the ideological anti-"administrative state" folks. It is just an extreme wing of a right wing libertarian movement with very strong theological overtones (not mentioned by Andrew above). One of the contradictions of course is that Bannon is also an extreme, anti-Vatican 2 rightwing Catholic which very strong criticisms of the Dominionist Protestants (those that want to see a Christian theological state and ditch the Constitution) that dominate the Qanon movement. But these differences are subordinated to the overall political arch of these wannabe "fascists" (not really in favor of as strong highly centralized "Fascist State" but more along the traditional KKK which supports a hyper 10th Amendment confederation of the U.S.) Anyway, it is good that both Andrew and Brad follow these far-right ideologists, because I gave up years ago.

David

 David:

I can't speak for Bradley Mayer, whom I was citing re Bannon, but my position has never been that there will be a coherent fascist state.  Very much to the contrary: there MAY BE (by the law, if by a law, only of a tendency) a kind of neofascist order appropriating fascist symbols and rhetoric and some practices, and filled with the urge to kill, but that will not have the coherence and dynamism at a policy level of historical fascism, but rather will chip away at fundamental governance exercistd by the states to satisfy a cadet faction of the ruling class who no longer support things like the collection and publication of accurate labor statistics, scientific research, probably support for international standards bodies. a functioning Postal Service, real scientific research, and so on.  Conservatives have always yapped about the need "to drown government in the bathtub," but IMO they never fully realized it. Think of the new trend as a kind of right-wing anarchism.  Under Trump, anti-factuality, and a gangster bust-out mentality affected the governance functions of the federal government across the board. There is no question that these functions were weakened. This decadence IMO is of crucial significance, as the factitious entities we call states and all manner of local bozos--i.e. elected sherifffs and such-like trashc--arry out a similar process of parasitic destruction.

I spent the last two years of my forty-year sentence as a technical writer and business analyst writing accounting policy for the US Navy and cybersecurity policy for the US Department of Labor--the whole thing, not just one agency.  I got a worm's-eye view for the corrosive effect of generations of conservative policies launched into counterfactual fantasy space by Donald Trump. The craziness behind this is not exactly new, but--quantity becoming quality--it has a IMO achieved a radically new form leading up to and after Trump

If all you see in "our federal system" is some ruling class Court of Owls giving direct orders to the likes of Cliven Bundy Congress, the Governors of the States, and the White House alike--and why not Timothy McVeigh or the Unabomber and the drug cartels?--you of course won't understand a perspective forged in part not only in he experiences I've just mentioned but also in many years' immersion in standards and procedures, including voting membership in an ISO standards body,  Maybe what in my opinion boils down to the stark conspiraciism of what I'll call the  Marxist Ruling-class Fundamentalist (MRCF) view--may appeal to many without experience of the actual innards. I see all the Bundies,  etc., as evidence of cracks in the infrastructure of social governance, which IMO can certainly be widened and weakened as historical circumstances change to the point of collapse. It's called decline, or decadence.  I find the MRCF view, in contrast, to be the wildest and most lurid of fantasies.

I have to apologize for not having pulled all the experiences and thoughts  I'm boasting of into a more substantial form, but I have spent most of the past forty years working my substantial butt off for The Man and have not enjoyed the leisure to write at length and in depth on non-technical matters. As a general rule, I think resume-flogging is a sign of intellectual weakness. But what's sauce for the goose is sauce for the goosed, so here we are.