Re: there-is-a-major-rift-dividing-the-white-working-class-and-democrats-are-clueless-26-Jun-2022

Michael Meeropol

Only one problem about agricultural trends ---- the replacement of small farms by latifundia was well under way by 1959 when Higbee wrote FARMS AND FARMERS IN THE URBAN AGE --- most "small family farms" (emphasis on small) had a relatively tenuous attraction to agricultural production (Higbee said many [most/] of them were about SIX PERCENT involved in agricultural work) --- 

AND farmers for much of the mid-20th century were pro-Republican (Truman once remarked injudiciously ---
"I don't care about the farmers .... they voted Republican!" --- that was why the Dems leaned heavily on organized labor --- )

On Mon, Jun 27, 2022 at 9:15 AM Mark Baugher <mark@...> wrote:

The article calls out Democrats.  They've abandoned the "settled" part of the working class and help ship their family-pay, blue-collar jobs to Asia.  That, I think, is What's The Matter With Kansas - the US industrial midwest was left to the Republicans by the Democratic Party as they deepened new alliances with finance, pharma and other deep-pocketed exploiters.

The article reminded me of one that looked at class structure in rural USA as it has evolved over the past 90 years:  https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/feb/22/us-politics-rural-america

These places have been thinned of family farms, prosperous rural towns, middle-income earners, and the "settled."  Agribusiness depopulation led to loss of community and civic organizations.  Small farms were replaced by latifundia.  Families that grew wealthy from agribusiness in turn purchase the national franchises and fast food chains that replace local, independent businesses.  This rural, solidly republican elite command an urban proletariat of farm workers, rural laborers, packing house workers and others at the bottom of the national pay ladder.  They don't vote at the same rate as the settled folks.  Democrats have abandoned their class interest while Republicans have sharpened their caste appeal.

Mark

Join marxmail@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.