Re: Racist murders in Buffalo: A warning to be taken seriously

Michael Meeropol

Here comes my broken record --- I see the modern version of fascism as one that keeps some of the "trappings" of "democracy" --- in theory "one" can vote --- in theory "one" has freedom of speech --- in theory there is a "separation of church and state."

BUT --- there is enough voter suppression to guarantee a Republican majority in the majority of State LEgislatures and in Congress --- there is enough voter suppression to elect a lot of Republican governors --- therefore --- to consider the Supreme Court's plan to gut ROE --- choice will be restricted to a handful of "blue" states and those rich enough to be able to travel to them --- freedom to teach will be severely circumscribed not just in states that enact anti-CRT laws but also in places all over the country where School Boards get taken over ---

The result is an erosion of the piss-poor version of Democracy we have --- Presidents elected who LOSE THE POPULAR VOTE appointed the right-wing Supreme Court (!!!) --- with the electoral college the way it is, there may be many more elections like 2000 and 2016 ---

Perhaps the most visible fact about American fascism is how many people TRULY believe absolute nonsense --- the "replacement" theory that inspired the murderer in Buffalo --- the idea that Democrats stole the last election --- truly bizarre "beliefs" are running through the population like wildfire ---

Orwell's 1984 is not fiction any more --- massive brainwashing is here and now ---

I think that's fascism.

NOW --- what do we do about it? --- again, the broken record says, BROAD FRONT AGAINST FASCISM even uniting with "enemies" --- this is a Five Alarm Fire -- you don't worry about the politics of the fire fighters who are fighting the blaze with you ...

BUT YOU DO have to alert the snoozing population who usually sit out the mid terms what is at stake ---

(I think I've quoted the Almanac Singers from a WW II song, DELIVER THE GOODS BEFORE but here it goes again:

Now me and my boss we never did agree
If a thing helped him, well it didn't help me
But when a burglar tries to bust into your house
You stop fighting with the landlord, and throw him out ...

On Mon, May 16, 2022 at 6:02 PM Farans Kalosar <fkalosar101@...> wrote:
I still have reservations about the appropriateness of the pointing to the alleged rise of fascism as the great danger "we" are facing.  The issue is the assumption by most proclaimed anti-fascists that the right-wing surge will result in a truly coherent political regime. It seems clear that Trumpism is not only not a coherent body of policies that can support a really dynamic organization, but a consortium of manipulative narcissists who seek to break down the very fabric of social governance itself.

If we look at Putin, we can see that his nearest approach to historical fascism is the attempt to reconstitute the Russian Empire, which seems bound for failure, however much misery it may create.  Is Putin really a fascist--and Ukraine his Ethiopia--or is he only only a mafioso in comic-opera disguise? To my mind, the social disintegration of the Russian Federation is as likely a result of his failed project as the obvious impossibility of reconstituting the full Russian Empire--although the very idea of a Russian Federation and a Russian People is imperialist in and of itself.

The perception of evil IMO is an unreliable guide to a course of action under the high-stress conditions of social warfare.

But to what extent does this alter or invalidate the diagnosis of fascism?  Some sort of tyrannical "regime," however incompetent in the sense of basic governance, is clearly possible--and it may make little difference to the lives of the people under its control that it is incompetent in all but corruption and the national syndication of organized crime.  The state terror that arises mayt be imperfect, but some asshole wearing a swastica is quite likely to kill many of "us" before it's over.

I can't regard this as a settled question, but am greatly interested in your developing thoughts on this subject and in general am squarely on your side.

The unanswered question, IMO, amid all the ritualistic position-mongering and comradely ducking and bowing here, is how the "f-word" can lead to a course of action that "we" can  help implement.