Boundary of technology pushes on

hari kumar

As always, it is difficult to believe that 'ordinary life' goes on beyond the tragedies of unfolding events. Such as for example in the all-absorbing current day Ukraine. Technology is a wee bit like that - difficult to believe it goes on in the background.

This just an inadequate intro to this piece that was apparently in the NYT in 1920. I came across it somewhat by serendipity, but it sure made me realise - again - how little attention I had paid to the Artificial Intelligence world. It is certainly beginning to have a major impact on research in the biomedical world.

But the implications are enormous. The robot GPT-3 considers a question that I suspect many of us have grappled with, but may be less fluent in our responses to than was GPT-3:

"One of his experiments involved a pop psychologist, Scott Barry Kaufman. The system took in Mr. Kaufman’s name and a topic for discussion: creativity. Then, when asked “How do we become more creative?” GPT-3 responded instantly:

I think creative expression is a natural byproduct of growing up in a diverse world. The more diverse the world is, the more you get exposed to different people, to different opportunities, to different places and to different challenges. And the more diverse that is, the more likely you’ll be to be able to put the dots together to form something new. And in many ways, I think if you want to be creative, you have to go for it. If you want to be a writer, you have to write, if you want to be a musician, you have to create music, if you want to be a comedian, you have to create comedy, and the more you create, the more likely it is that you’ll stumble onto some interesting stuff."

Anyway: The artilce was Nov. 24, 2020; at:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/24/science/artificial-intelligence-ai-gpt3.html?action=click&module=RelatedLinks&pgtype=Article

Hari Kumar