Re: The abrupt start of the Cold War

Michael Meeropol

Let's not forget that even within the academy, there were significant dissenting voices --- My favorite was a (very young at the time) Annapolis Graduate who had just received a Ph D in history from the University of Wisconsin --- William Appleman Williams.  In 1951 he published AMERICAN-RUSSIAN RELATIONS:  1787-1947 with a concluding chapter explicitly attacking Kennan (and the long telegram).   The publisher (not realizing the AMerican version of censorship!) actually sent the Kennan Chapter to FOREIGN AFFAIRS (the flagship of the Council on Foreign Relations).  The editor responded that it was "very interesting" but the "attack" on Kennan was "too personal." --- so much for open debate.

The whiplash of moving from considering the SOviets "our great Russian allies" (the words of General Eisenhower on D-Day) to our mortal enemies (1946-1948, the year of the Berlin Blockade) required what Senator Arthur Vandenburg (the Republican Chair of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee) recommended --- that the Truman ADministration "scare Hell out of the American people," to overcome a combination of residual respect for the Soviet Union's role in WW II and lingering Republican opposition to international entanglements (represented by Senator Robert Taft).  And of course it worked --- with the Korean War even bringing so-called isolationists like Taft "around" to being pro-interventionists.

When the US became "imperialist" after the Spanish American War there was much more dissent than there was at the beginning of the COld War ---

What is the nature of "dissent" from the Biden Administration's demonization of Russia --- not as a country that oppresses its own people (Saudi Arabia is much worse, I would say! --- and Israel's treatment of the Palestinians as well !!!) --- but as a THREAT to the US .... seems to be very little of that as "our side" is more worried about Trumpism than Biden's "internationalism" ....

So it goes ...