Re: Communist histories of the Cold War

Michael Meeropol

and of course now Horowitz repudiates his book THE FREE WORLD COLOSSUS -- I wonder if he claims he falsified sources or just that he's "changed his mind"!

On Wed, Oct 27, 2021 at 2:23 PM <gilschaeffer82@...> wrote:
The two most important books published in the 1960s challenging the State Department version of the Cold War were Gar Alperovitz, Atomic Diplomacy: Hiroshima and Potsdam, and David Horowitz, Free World Colossus. The virtue of both books is their emphasis on the enormous strategic power advantage of the US. In sheer power terms, only the US possessed an offensive strategic capability. The Soviet Union was a regional power in a defensive position that did not have either the industrial or military power to confront the US outside of Europe. No history written since then has improved on their analyses.
_._,_._,_

WELL -- I think THE TRAGEDY OF AMERICAN DIPLOMACY has more historical perspective than Alperovitz even though I think that book is outstanding.  Have to say, I never read Horowitz's book ---