Re: Does unemployment add value?: THREE fragments on machines

Tom Walker

Closely related. Kalecki's essay looks at how finance capitalists regards the more obvious political benefit to them of unemployment. The Grundrisse passages probe depths of the effects of unemployment that are presumably not comprehended by capitalists (or by just about anyone else). I think people grasp the regulatory function of the industrial reserve army at an empirical level. I don't think the foundational status of what Marx called "the theory of surplus population and surplus capital" has been grasped even by most Marxists. Kalecki may well have understood.