Re: Do machines add value?

Michael Meeropol

On Sat, Oct 9, 2021 at 3:40 PM <gilschaeffer82@...> wrote:
On Sat, Oct 9, 2021 at 11:38 AM, Tom Walker wrote:
Mike Gouldhawke has posted an essay on value:

https://www.midnightsunmag.ca/head-hits-concrete/
Tom, I read Gouldhawke's article, I would say that the power of capital over labor is impossible without the enforcement of private property relations by the state. Do we need Marx's labor theory of value to understand that the US is not a democracy and that we need to take control of the state and change the property laws? I don't think so. Education in the need for democracy and state power is more important in my estimation than education in the intricacies of Marx's value theory.
_._,_._,_
AMEN to that ---

Anecdote --- My father Abel Meeropol was a communist in the 1930s while a NYC public school teacher.  (He never got fired --- he moved to California to be a full time writer in 1945).  He participated in a study group and they were supposed to read CAPITAL.  He piped up -- "I know the workers are exploited, why do I actually have to read this?"   The "discussion leader" put him on report for insubordination!!

It's only those of us who made the "choice" to study and teach Economics that have to read that --- there are much more readily accessible versions of the analysis that tell the same story --