Re: I repent for asking

gilschaeffer82@...

It is true that machines can't operate themselves and need labor to run them, but that is a different question than whether machines "add value" greater than their embodied labor and materials. It is possible to say, of course, that all of the value of productivity made possible by the introduction of new machinery in combination with new labor is "added" by the labor alone, as Marx does, yet it is the addition of the machine that is the cause of the additional productivity of labor, even when the actual skill level of the labor that operates the machine declines. I doesn't make sense to me that this process is just the machine "giving up" the old labor put into it. Such a formulation mischaracterizes where the dynamism of capitalism comes from.