A slightly differing tangent on sports, fiction-reading, drawing, music, basket-weaving, fishing, herding....etc etc

hari kumar

Mark L's & John O'B's comments on sports put me in mind of two citations I often think about:

Marx [I think Engels did not write this quote - though 'German Ideology' was jointly written]:
"In communist society, where nobody has one exclusive sphere of activity but each can become accomplished in any branch he wishes, society regulates the general production and thus makes it possible for me to do one thing today and another tomorrow, to hunt in the morning, fish in the afternoon, rear cattle in the evening, criticise after dinner, just as I have a mind, without ever becoming hunter, fisherman, herdsman or critic."
[Sorry - cannot be bothered to dig out the page numbers etc.]
And:
Somewhere Lenin wrote to Lunacharsky and said to him [paraphrase] "I can see how someone would get fascinated and completely immersed in art and music - how interesting it is. But I did not have time for that".

My wee story: At state school (in the UK) I used (like most kids) to be a good athlete, though I hard 'PE'. But it was the intensely competitive, bullying and aggressive atmosphere around it that put me completely off. And then I basically gave up around 15 - it was all too time consuming! It took me a long time before I did anything 'athletic' again - actually when I was about 55. My wife insisted I was getting too sedentary, she was right of course.
Hari Kumar