Re: US War in Afghanistan

Michael Meeropol

Great question --- My memory is that the Taliban equivocated --- based on the Muslim exhortation to be "kind" to guests --- they demanded proof that Bin Laden was guilty --- HOWEVER, I think the Bush Administration wanted war (and unfortunately, most of the population was out for blood --- I had perfectly nice reasonable friends defending the deaths of innocent Afghans as a result of our invasion ...Only Barbara Lee had the courage to vote against the blank check for Bush)

Don't know anything about question 2 ...

On Sat, Aug 21, 2021 at 10:52 AM Stephen Gosch <stephengosch9@...> wrote:
Hello Friends,

I have two questions that I am sure members of this list will be able to shed light on:

    1. In the immediate aftermath of 9/11, but before the US attack began, did the Taliban offer to surrender Bin Laden to the US?

     2. Toward the end of 2001, did the Taliban offer the US an unconditional surrender?

I have seen some reporting on both of these questions, but have lost it.

Thanks!
_