Re: My thoughts on the anti-vax crowd

Michael Meeropol

And then there are the individuals who are sui generis.  I know someone whose family members are vaccinated (a daughter and granddaughter) but who knows a story about a man in Florida who died after getting his second shot.   Yesterday, I made a "pitch" to this person to "PLEASE" for the sake of her second granddchild who is young and therefore unable to be vaccinated saying "you would feel terrible if you got a mild case and your grandchild got sick...."   I stressed the "new ball game" with the Delta version ...  She said she was seeing her doctor today and that she'd seriously think about it ...

The good news is she is NOT a conspiracy theorist --- she just knows one anecdote and is scared of the vaccine --- Luckily, living in a section of NY State that has significantly controlled the spread of the virus, she has never been infected though she and a friend suspect that a bout of FLU in January of 2020 "might" have been the virus and that they, therefore, have antibodies --- but when I told her the example of local folks who KNOW they had Covid and therefore have antibodies was told by his doctor to get vaccinated anyway ---

I didn't argue about whether the guy in FLORIDA really died from the vaccine, I merely said that those outliers are as likely as getting hit by lightning.   I couched all of what I said out of genuine concern for her and her family and it MIGHT work --

Unfortunately, as both John and Mike's posts make clear, there is a lot of "tribal" behavior behind much anti-vaxxing (especially from Trumpies as the national data shows).   My example may be just an "outlier anecdote" without any significance for the general population.   I do hope that the natural skepticism of the black community can be overcome as the evidence of the success of the vaccine penetrates -- I would hope most black people will NOT be susceptible to Trumpist conspiracy-mongering ...

One interesting piece of public opinion research might be to check parents of school age kids of DON'T want to get vaccinated and ask how many also refuse to have their kids vaccinated for the measles or other diseases that currently would cause kids to not be admitted to school without proof of vaccination --- that is where the REAL craziness (Trumpist tribalism) shows itself ...