Cancel ID Request

Bob Swanson

I was sent this image for identification.

My reply:

The item you illustrate is a Rural Free Delivery (RFD)
handstamp. This marking was either applied by the RFD
carrier to mail originating on their rural route, or at
the local Post Office as the RFD incoming mail was
being processed.

The design of the killer ("1" with some bars) was used
also in so-called "Doane" handstamp cancels. Those
cancels were supplied to small, usually rural, post offices.
They had the same type killer, but had a circular datestamp
(they were not used for RFD's).

The Mobile Post Office Society has taken RFD markings
into their area of collecting and reporting.

I've attached an image of another RFD cancel.

Also, see: