Where to buy a suitable Teensy module?

Björn (SM0SBL)

I would really like to start building this controller but I cannot find any source where I can buy a Teensy 3.1 or 3.2 and I understand the code is not written to be working with the 4.x Teensys. At least not without more or less serious modifications.

Anyone know of a relatively trusted source for modules?

Barry - 2E0IDE

From: loopController@groups.io <loopController@groups.io> On Behalf Of Björn (SM0SBL)
Sent: 17 May 2022 12:47
To: loopController@groups.io
Subject: [loopController] Where to buy a suitable Teensy module?

I would really like to start building this controller but I cannot find any source where I can buy a Teensy 3.1 or 3.2 and I understand the code is not written to be working with the 4.x Teensys. At least not without more or less serious modifications.

Virus-free. www.avast.com

Björn (SM0SBL)

Thank you Barry!
Two are on order now.
Amazon seam to have individual stock for each domain they are under. Found none on amazon.se or amazon.de but .co.uk had them in stock :o)

Barry - 2E0IDE

The code should not be a problem on a Teesny 4.1, but the PCB would need a re-design. The pinout footprint is completely different from the 3.2.

See:- https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/pinout.html

With something like Fusion 360 I don’t think this would be a huge challenge, but probably beyond my knowledge of Fusion 360 so far!

Any volunteers?

Regards

Barry – 2E0IDE

From: loopController@groups.io <loopController@groups.io> On Behalf Of Björn (SM0SBL)
Sent: 17 May 2022 12:47
Subject: [loopController] Where to buy a suitable Teensy module?

Björn (SM0SBL)

I have access to both KiCad and Altium Designer as I'm being an electronics designer by profession, or actually an FPGA designer but do some boards on occation as well so updating PCB should not be a big problem.
This was my initial solution as I found sources for KiCad to use as a starting point and the Teensy 4.1 I already have at hand but my time is limited so I would prefer to go the easy path... and I got info in another thread the 4.1 has different ADC architecture making it not so suitable. The source I found was in a zip-file called "Magnetic loop controller Loftur design pcb 9a3gos.zip" in another thread.

If Amazon delivers I will start ordering PCBs, or start off from a bread board, as I have the DRV8825 and stepper motors allready. A vacuum capacitor is on it's way from Ukraine and should be out of the country by now so should not be bombed on the railway I hope... Meanwhile I have a poor mans capacitor consisting of 5-7 pcb-boards arranged as a butterfly capacitor :o)

Barry - 2E0IDE

OK Bjorn

Stay safe where you are going. Not so easy sometimes when you travel the world for work. Thankfully I no longer have to.(Beirut just after the hostage release 1991 comes to mind).

I’ve tied a butterfly and a Russian Vac(currently using). The butterfly with a 100:1 reduction was very accurate on tune and SWR. I’m going to make a 10M loop and home brew butterfly made on a CNC 3018(with upgraded spindle motor).

Let me know if I can help in any way at all.

Regards

Barry -2E0IDE

Sent: 17 May 2022 13:56
Subject: Re: [loopController] Where to buy a suitable Teensy module?

I have access to both KiCad and Altium Designer as I'm being an electronics designer by profession, or actually an FPGA designer but do some boards on occation as well so updating PCB should not be a big problem.
This was my initial solution as I found sources for KiCad to use as a starting point and the Teensy 4.1 I already have at hand but my time is limited so I would prefer to go the easy path... and I got info in another thread the 4.1 has different ADC architecture making it not so suitable. The source I found was in a zip-file called "Magnetic loop controller Loftur design pcb 9a3gos.zip" in another thread.

If Amazon delivers I will start ordering PCBs, or start off from a bread board, as I have the DRV8825 and stepper motors allready. A vacuum capacitor is on it's way from Ukraine and should be out of the country by now so should not be bombed on the railway I hope... Meanwhile I have a poor mans capacitor consisting of 5-7 pcb-boards arranged as a butterfly capacitor :o)

Robbert J. van Herksen

Is it really necessary to use a (1:100) gearbox for a butterfly capacitor?

DRV 8825 can handle 1/32 microstepping

That makes a whopping 3200 steps per revolution

Overkill???

XS Max (512Gb)

On 17 May 2022, at 16:35, Barry - 2E0IDE <barry@...> wrote:

OK Bjorn

Stay safe where you are going. Not so easy sometimes when you travel the world for work. Thankfully I no longer have to.(Beirut just after the hostage release 1991 comes to mind).

I’ve tied a butterfly and a Russian Vac(currently using). The butterfly with a 100:1 reduction was very accurate on tune and SWR. I’m going to make a 10M loop and home brew butterfly made on a CNC 3018(with upgraded spindle motor).

Regards

Barry -2E0IDE

--
73 de Robbert / TA2IX (aka PA3BKL)
The dutch guy living in Istanbul

Barry - 2E0IDE

All I can say is it worked for me.  It got to a few Hz  every time.  As just a  2E0  I would not care to pontificate further.

Vac cap with 10:1 – nowhere as accurate. I’m going back to butterfly!

Original article recommend this reduction on air spaced as in remember.

These my obversions for what they are worth.

Regards

Barry -2E0IDE

From: loopController@groups.io <loopController@groups.io> On Behalf Of Robbert J. van Herksen
Sent: 17 May 2022 17:37

Overkill???

XS Max (512Gb)

OK Bjorn

Regards

Barry -2E0IDE

Image removed by sender.

--

DL9LC

This is only true while moving.
The motor will hopp to the nearest "real" step if coils are not powered.
It is better to use a 1.8°/Step motor to get a better resolution.

73 Lena

Robbert J. van Herksen <rescueteam@...> hat am 17.05.2022 18:36 geschrieben:

Overkill???

XS Max(512Gb)

OK Bjorn

Regards

Barry -2E0IDE

From:loopController@groups.io <loopController@groups.io> On Behalf OfBjörn (SM0SBL)

https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient Virus-free. www.avast.com (https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient)
--

DL9LC

edited

This is only true while moving and you are loosing a lot of torque.
The motor will hopp to the nearest "real" step if coils are not powered.
It is better to use a 0.9°/Step motor to get a better resolution.

73 Lena

Robbert J. van Herksen <rescueteam@...> hat am 17.05.2022 18:36 geschrieben:

Overkill???

XS Max(512Gb)

OK Bjorn

Regards

Barry -2E0IDE

From:loopController@groups.io <loopController@groups.io> On Behalf OfBjörn (SM0SBL)

https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient Virus-free. www.avast.com (https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient)
--

Peter Johnson

Hi Barry,

You could have a little earner there if you sold the parts for making butterfly caps.

I have been looking for them for years.

73 Peter M1BCV

On 17/05/2022 14:35, Barry - 2E0IDE wrote:
OK Bjorn
Regards
Barry -2E0IDE
*From:*loopController@groups.io <loopController@groups.io> *On Behalf Of *Björn (SM0SBL)
*Sent:* 17 May 2022 13:56
*To:* loopController@groups.io
*Subject:* Re: [loopController] Where to buy a suitable Teensy module?
<https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient> Virus-free. www.avast.com <https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient> <#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

Björn (SM0SBL)

There is a ham from Turkey, TA1LSX, who sells what I understand are very good kits for building your own butterfly capacitor of different sizes.
Search his callsign or "Butterfly capacitor" on ebay.com .
I have not (yet) built one myself but think they are good for there money.

My home brew butterfly is very simple and made mostly for exploring the loop antenna to begin with but I guess it is sufficient as a poor mans capacitor for QRP... I will try to control it with a loopcontroller as well :o) Just need to find a a way to make the turning to a linear movement to connect to the stepper motor.

This one tunes my ~1m loop from 8MHz to somewhere around 24MHz if I remember correctly. I'm about to add a couple of plates to be able to tune 40m as well. To tune 10m I might be lucky if I widen the gap between the copper areas.

Immo, DL5KB

hi Lena and all the guys,

following my experiences with both, butterfly-cap and vac-cap, there is the most important part the backlash of cap and gear.
An example and calculation:
Geared stepper 10:1 and vac-cap
The gear has a backlash of about 3deg, (precision gears 10:1 have less 1deg, but also expensive!)
The cap has a backlash of 5deg (pretty used, new ones have abt. 3deg)
In sum 8deg
So the steppermotor has to go 10 times 8deg = 80deg before the cap moves.
Using a 1.8deg/step stepper this means 80/1.8 = 45 full steps, to be on the "good side" you should set to more than 45 full steps.
For the calculation lets take this 45 steps:
If you use quarter-steps you have to chose 4 times 45 = 180 steps for backlash.
If you use a 0.9deg/step stepper you have to chose 360 steps.
If current is shut off, the stepper gets the full step position nearest to last step made. That may be forward or backward max. half full step (i.e. 0.9 / 0.45 deg at steppers axle)
When geared 10:1 this makes a tenth of the value, i.e. 0.09 or 0.045 deg at cap's axle. This is about nothing to the cap.
As I mentioned: my experience.
I use quarter steps because the stepper goes smoother and at maximum of 200rpm.
Have fun!
Immo, DL5KB

joe price

Did you have limit switches on the vacuum capacitor  if so hoe did you work it out BTW I use a .9 degree stepper with with my splitt transmitting capacitor now 
but plan on using the vacuum variable once iI figure out limit switches.

Joe wa9cgz

On Wednesday, May 18, 2022, 01:20:14 PM CDT, Immo, DL5KB <dl5kb@...> wrote:

following my experiences with both, butterfly-cap and vac-cap, there is the most important part the backlash of cap and gear.
The gear has a backlash of about 3deg, (precision gears 10:1 have less 1deg, but also expensive!)
In sum 8deg
Using a 1.8deg/step stepper this means 80/1.8 = 45 full steps, to be on the "good side" you should set to more than 45 full steps.
If current is shut off, the stepper gets the full step position nearest to last step made. That may be forward or backward max. half full step (i.e. 0.9 / 0.45 deg at steppers axle)
When geared 10:1 this makes a tenth of the value, i.e. 0.09 or 0.045 deg at cap's axle. This is about nothing to the cap.
Have fun!
Immo, DL5KB

DL9LC

Hey Immo,

interesting thoughts about backlash.
I'm using a 0,9er direct drive on a vac, wich works well.
Will measure the backlash of my cap - I'm curious!

tnx & 73 Lena

Immo, DL5KB <dl5kb@...> hat am 18.05.2022 20:19 geschrieben:

In sum 8deg
Have fun!
Immo, DL5KB

Immo, DL5KB

hi again,

You set per software the limits of tuning. Chose the min frequency just a little before physical maximum of capacitor...
Doing so, while working you never will reach the physical end of the cap. Same for upper end of usable frequency.

I don't use endstops. With my vac-c I use a NEMA 23 (0.9 step) stepper geared 6:1
Despite gear the stepper is not able to destroy the vac-c at full scale current!! At the end the stepper slips any step going over mechanical max value.
Ok, I reduced the max. current to a value, that allows maximum turns at 200 rpm without slip. Only to be save...
Is a little bit fuzzy to find the point, but it works perfect.

My vac-c has 12 turns from 250 to 12 pF. So I get a resolution of about 700Hz per full step.
Automatic tuning gets ever best results: 1:1.1 to 1:1.9 (highest/ lowest usable frequency)

A butterfly-c does not need any stops. after min follows the next max... (see above: setting min and max usable frequency first)
I use my butterfly-c with a NEMA17, geared 100:1, also without end stop. Works fine! Resolution is better than 400Hz/step.

Have fun
73, Immo, DL5KB

Pat Turcotte

I have bought from this place in the past.  Very good quality.

https://www.vhfloop.com/product/diy-butterfly-capacitor-stage-1-kit/

Pat - N4ENF

bullstreetboy

Hi Peter

The first of many I hope.

73 - Barry - 2E0IDE

-----Original Message-----
From: loopController@groups.io <loopController@groups.io> On Behalf Of Peter Johnson via groups.io
Sent: 17 May 2022 16:34

Hi Barry,

You could have a little earner there if you sold the parts for making butterfly caps.

I have been looking for them for years.

73 Peter M1BCV

On 17/05/2022 14:35, Barry - 2E0IDE wrote:
OK Bjorn

Stay safe where you are going. Not so easy sometimes when you travel
the world for work. Thankfully I no longer have to.(Beirut just after
the hostage release 1991 comes to mind).

I’ve tied a butterfly and a Russian Vac(currently using). The
butterfly with a 100:1 reduction was very accurate on tune and SWR.
I’m going to make a 10M loop and home brew butterfly made on a CNC
3018(with upgraded spindle motor).

Regards

Barry -2E0IDE

*From:*loopController@groups.io <loopController@groups.io> *On Behalf
Of *Björn (SM0SBL)
*Sent:* 17 May 2022 13:56
*To:* loopController@groups.io
*Subject:* Re: [loopController] Where to buy a suitable Teensy module?

I have access to both KiCad and Altium Designer as I'm being an
electronics designer by profession, or actually an FPGA designer but
do some boards on occation as well so updating PCB should not be a big
problem.
This was my initial solution as I found sources for KiCad to use as a
starting point and the Teensy 4.1 I already have at hand but my time
is limited so I would prefer to go the easy path... and I got info in
another thread the 4.1 has different ADC architecture making it not so
suitable. The source I found was in a zip-file called "Magnetic loop
controller Loftur design pcb 9a3gos.zip" in another thread.

If Amazon delivers I will start ordering PCBs, or start off from a
bread board, as I have the DRV8825 and stepper motors allready. A
vacuum capacitor is on it's way from Ukraine and should be out of the
country by now so should not be bombed on the railway I hope...
Meanwhile I have a poor mans capacitor consisting of 5-7 pcb-boards
arranged as a butterfly capacitor :o)

<https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient>
<https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_
campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient>

<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

--
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

Mikko OH2CMO

Hello,
Teensy 3.2 boards seem to be out of stock everywhere. I would be very interested in building this tuner but can’t source the teensy anywhere. Any suggestions?
Thanks & 73 de Mikko OH2CMO

ED MONTAIGNE

Would this help, Seeeduino Xiao - Smallest Arduino Microcontroller - SAMD21 Cortex M0+, on Amazon?

On Fri, Jun 10, 2022 at 11:28 AM Mikko OH2CMO <mikko.seppis@...> wrote:
Hello,
Teensy 3.2 boards seem to be out of stock everywhere. I would be very interested in building this tuner but can’t source the teensy anywhere. Any suggestions?
Thanks & 73 de Mikko OH2CMO