Topics

Video of automatic loop tuner in action

Leonard A. Gucciardo KD2NEN

Here is my loop tuning up using SWR tune and my Kenwood TS-590SG. Very fast tuning.
--
LennyG KD2NEN

Patrick

Nice!
What did you use for the SWR board?

Leonard A. Gucciardo KD2NEN

On Feb 3, 2021, at 3:35 PM, Patrick <kd7wpq@...> wrote:

Nice!
What did you use for the SWR board?

--
LennyG KD2NEN

Patrick

huh, didn't know there were so many kits out there.
I ended up ordering the SWR bridge from kitsandparts.com. I haven't put it together yet. I'm just finishing my main board and working on the rest as I have time.
https://www.kitsandparts.com/bridge.php

Patrick

You know, now that I look at it again I realize it's only rated for QRP but I'm going to want to run up to 100W but like to build things to run for more than i plan to use them for so I'd like it to be rated for 150W to 200W.
Suggestions?
Can I just mod this, build my own or do another kit?

Leonard A. Gucciardo KD2NEN

I am using the kits and parts board with a QRP version of my loop. I am building that now. Here is a picture of the kits and parts one. I am not happy with the kits and parts board. It is no where as accurate as the modified breune bridge that I used on my high power loop. That coupler from Russia is the best. I modified it for 1kw. I put 600 watts into it with not so much as a hiccup. I shrunk every thing down for the QRP version. Here are some pictures.

Leonard A. Gucciardo
KD2NEN

On Feb 3, 2021, at 4:37 PM, Patrick <kd7wpq@...> wrote:

You know, now that I look at it again I realize it's only rated for QRP but I'm going to want to run up to 100W but like to build things to run for more than i plan to use them for so I'd like it to be rated for 150W to 200W.
Suggestions?
Can I just mod this, build my own or do another kit?

--
LennyG KD2NEN

Leonard A. Gucciardo KD2NEN

The kits and parts can be modified just change the resistors to 2 watts. I left the potentiometers in there so I could balance it easier. The modified breune bridge needed no balancing as it uses only 1 torrid.

Leonard A. Gucciardo
KD2NEN

On Feb 3, 2021, at 6:37 PM, Leonard A. Gucciardo KD2NEN <lgucciar@...> wrote:

I am using the kits and parts board with a QRP version of my loop. I am building that now. Here is a picture of the kits and parts one. I am not happy with the kits and parts board. It is no where as accurate as the modified breune bridge that I used on my high power loop. That coupler from Russia is the best. I modified it for 1kw. I put 600 watts into it with not so much as a hiccup. I shrunk every thing down for the QRP version. Here are some pictures.

<image.jpg>
<image.jpg>
<image.jpg>

Leonard A. Gucciardo
KD2NEN

On Feb 3, 2021, at 4:37 PM, Patrick <kd7wpq@...> wrote:

You know, now that I look at it again I realize it's only rated for QRP but I'm going to want to run up to 100W but like to build things to run for more than i plan to use them for so I'd like it to be rated for 150W to 200W.
Suggestions?
Can I just mod this, build my own or do another kit?

--
LennyG KD2NEN

Patrick

OK, where do you get the parts in the red

and

what are those parts for in blue?

I went ahead and ordered a kit like the one previously posted.
I'd rather have accuracy than, well not accurate, lol.
And I'd be a bit concerned about a QRP rated kit taking 100W, 10 times the original rated power. I'd rather not risk blowing my finals.

Leonard A. Gucciardo KD2NEN

I made those parts. The end stop encoder disk I made from a plastic coffee can lid. The 6mm hub I got on Amazon. The 6mm to 6mm coupler is on Amazon as well.

Leonard A. Gucciardo
KD2NEN

On Feb 3, 2021, at 9:59 PM, Patrick <kd7wpq@...> wrote:

OK, where do you get the parts in the red

and

what are those parts for in blue?

I went ahead and ordered a kit like the one previously posted.
I'd rather have accuracy than, well not accurate, lol.
And I'd be a bit concerned about a QRP rated kit taking 100W, 10 times the original rated power. I'd rather not risk blowing my finals.

<image.jpg>

--
LennyG KD2NEN

Leonard A. Gucciardo KD2NEN

Here is a picture of encoder wheel. Just paint a black dot where you want it to stop the motor. When the black dot interrupts the infrared light beam on the optical end stops.
Leonard A. Gucciardo
KD2NEN

On Feb 4, 2021, at 7:33 PM, Leonard A. Gucciardo KD2NEN via groups.io <lgucciar@...> wrote:

I made those parts. The end stop encoder disk I made from a plastic coffee can lid. The 6mm hub I got on Amazon. The 6mm to 6mm coupler is on Amazon as well.

Leonard A. Gucciardo
KD2NEN

On Feb 3, 2021, at 9:59 PM, Patrick <kd7wpq@...> wrote:

OK, where do you get the parts in the red

and

what are those parts for in blue?

I went ahead and ordered a kit like the one previously posted.
I'd rather have accuracy than, well not accurate, lol.
And I'd be a bit concerned about a QRP rated kit taking 100W, 10 times the original rated power. I'd rather not risk blowing my finals.

<image.jpg>

--
LennyG KD2NEN

--
LennyG KD2NEN

Patrick

Interesting.

So would it stop on a count or just if the black dot interupts?

I'll have to do some digging and find those parts.

Leonard A. Gucciardo KD2NEN

It will only stop when the black dot blocks the light path. Very good system to prevent the geared stepper motor from tearing the capacitor apart.

Leonard A. Gucciardo
KD2NEN

On Feb 4, 2021, at 10:38 PM, Patrick <kd7wpq@...> wrote:

Interesting.

So would it stop on a count or just if the black dot interupts?

I'll have to do some digging and find those parts.

--
LennyG KD2NEN

VE3VXO

How many QRP watts can you manage with the tiny spacings on that capacitor?

Leonard A. Gucciardo KD2NEN

I can put about 30 watts before arcing occurs.

Leonard A. Gucciardo
KD2NEN