Stepper Driver Temp

Patrick

How did you guys manage the stepper driver controller temp?
I've noticed mine gets VERY hot when it's been turning for a while and while it may not turn the capacitor all the way very often I did just test it and after about 20 rotations the stepper driver does get hot enough to cut out and that's with a copper heatsink glued to it.

The only resolution I can think of other than replacing the stepper driver is to put a fan in the chassis to push air through the heatsink.

I did try a heat pipe of which I was going to use to move the heat to the chassis but it buckled to much, I had to try and file it but that was to much and filing it put a hole in it, that went to the trash

What did you do to negate your heat issue?

bullstreetboy

I’ve not had a problem with stepper controller temp. I set the current limit to 80% of stepper max current and it has not failed on me in over two years now.

I just have an ally heat sink and I can still touch it whist changing band from 40M to 20M.

Not much help for you I concede. Maybe try setting the current limit lower or try another stepper.

Regards

Barry – 2E0IDE

How did you guys manage the stepper driver controller temp?
I've noticed mine gets VERY hot when it's been turning for a while and while it may not turn the capacitor all the way very often I did just test it and after about 20 rotations the stepper driver does get hot enough to cut out and that's with a copper heatsink glued to it.

The only resolution I can think of other than replacing the stepper driver is to put a fan in the chassis to push air through the heatsink.

I did try a heat pipe of which I was going to use to move the heat to the chassis but it buckled to much, I had to try and file it but that was to much and filing it put a hole in it, that went to the trash

What did you do to negate your heat issue?

Patrick

ahh! Well maybe I need to set the current limit.

I'm still learning and I think I still have some reading to do too.

During my testing my heatsink got to hot to even touch which is why I considered a heat pipe to the chassis but that failed.

Patrick

Well, turned the pot on the stepper driver down to about 50% of what it was (1/4 turn right), still plenty of torque and turned the motor for about 24 revolutions and the stepper driver barely got warm.

Thanks guys!