Topics

Rig Control AND Loop Antenna Controller Control

Jay Christensen

I am getting set up to use Mfj Rigpi controller for remote operations.
I know the loop controller can be used in passthrough mode to control transceiver OR to send commands  to the controller itself.
But is there a way to do BOTH?  In my situation this is what I would need in order to remotely control the transceiver AND be able to send commands to the controller  like SWR Tune. Is this something that could be changed in the software? I think this could be quite useful in a Remote Station setup.
Thanks,
Jay N9CFG

VE3VXO

Hi Jay

I'm not sure what you mean?  If you send a command (which is prefaced by the $ symbol) to the teensy it will execute the command.  If passthru is turned on any CAT commands sent to the teensy over USB are allso passed through to the CAT port so the rig can also be controlled that way.  If you issue the $SWRTUNE; command via USB to the teensy then the loop controller will respond as if you pressed the front panel switch. Is that what you want?

Joe

Jay Christensen

Joe,
So if I setup the controller in Pass Through Mode,
I can send commands to the Teensy with $comand
&&&&
send CAT commands to the rig through the Teensy
&&&&
The controller can still communicate with radio using CAT commands.
All the above while in Pass Through Mode,
Then Correct, this is exactly what I need.
Jay N9CFG

On Sat, Dec 19, 2020 at 10:28 AM VE3VXO <ve3vxo@...> wrote:
Hi Jay

I'm not sure what you mean?  If you send a command (which is prefaced by the $ symbol) to the teensy it will execute the command.  If passthru is turned on any CAT commands sent to the teensy over USB are allso passed through to the CAT port so the rig can also be controlled that way.  If you issue the $SWRTUNE; command via USB to the teensy then the loop controller will respond as if you pressed the front panel switch. Is that what you want?

Joe

Jay Christensen

Joe,
Was my last email correct or not?
I can't check it out until March as I am in Florida and my loop and controller are in Wisconsin.
Any help is appreciated,
Jay N9CFG

On Sat, Dec 19, 2020, 12:34 PM Jay Christensen via groups.io <jay.h.christensen=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

I reread the loop controller paperwork and the way it looks to me is that going through  the Teeny USB port you can control the radio in passthrough OR you can control the controller in normal but Not both. Am I reading that correctly? I need to be able to control both. I will be operating remote.
Thanks,
Jay N9CFG

On Sun, Dec 20, 2020, 7:41 AM Jay Christensen via groups.io <jay.h.christensen=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

2E0IDE@...

Joe

I’ve tried both modes and for me it was one OR the other as per the documentation.

73

B – 2E0IDE

[...]

To get around the problem I modified my Logging software  - controller on port “X” and radio on port “Y” – now the controller talks to the radio and the logging software does as well, concurrently.

73

B – 2E0IDE

[...]

 So sorry for the delay on responding.  I had to set my forums to no email since I was getting overwhelmed....  I modified my code in the ML_TRX file and ML_USB files so that I could receive some of the USB commands which start with $ character via the CAT interface.  This was a bit of a kudge though because I had to use a flag bit to tell the existing communiactions routines if a CAT string or COMMAND string is in process of being received.  So if a CAT string is in process any COMMAND characters are ignored and vice versa until the end of the current string is detected.  This is possible because I have multiple devices on a wireless CAT mesh network with multiple talkers and listeners.  This means there can be some comm traffic blocking but I mostly got around this by making clever talkers and listeners which wait a little if someone else is talking (like the old ALOHA system).  So if I push a button on my remote control for say $jogup or $jogdn, $tuneup, $tunedn the remote control injects those 500 msec after it hears the transceiver respond to the CAT IF string.  This works really well.  I even created my own new USB command called $recalibrate which when the loop controller receives it, behaves as if the recal front panel button was pressed.  My code has migrated so far from loftur's original I may have lost track of some of the changes. I am on ML_v6.00 now which includes error checking for the wireless CAT strings and has multicolour baclight control with a menu option for day/ night mode (white / red) backlight.  I wish Loftur had set up a versioning system on Github and a couple of us requested it, but I guess Loftur is not interested in that idea.  So code forks are a bit of a mess I guess, but I am blazing ahead here anyways.  I can share my code but you would have to adopt the same wireless technique for it to work. Here is a photo of the latest build made for the use in the field:

Salvatore Gentile

Buongiorno,
In Italia a Verona viene prodotto un loop magnetico con controller collegato anche alla radio sulla porta RS232, ha molti problemi con gli attuatori di vecchia generazione e si guasta,  con costi di riparazione esorbitanti. Funziona bene su una banda poi quando gli comandi di andare su altre su spegne perché trova ros alto e va in tilt. Non capiamo noi radioamatori perché nessuno produce qualcosa di simile che possa sostituire questo controller detto AT2 di prodotto da Ciro Mazzoni.
Sarebbe necessario avere a disposizione un controller sostitutivo  per questa ottima antenna che funzioni su tutte le bande previste da 14 /80 MT
Speriamo che voi persone preparate riuscite a darci una risposta e un progetto sostitutivo valido per questa antenna .
Qrz.com
Bye
Ik2ulp
Inviato da iPhone

Il giorno 26 gen 2021, alle ore 18:05, VE3VXO <ve3vxo@...> ha scritto:

[...]

<Field_loop_tuner_night.JPG>
<Field_loop_tuner_day.JPG>

py1ahd

Em 27/01/2021 05:49, Salvatore Gentile escreveu:

[...]

Buongiorno Salvatore,

Penso che questo controller ad anello dovrebbe essere in grado di sostituire il controllo per quello originale di Ciro Mazzoni.Finché usi un motore adatto per il design dell'antenna, non vedo un motivo ovvio per cui non potresti farlo.Alcune persone hanno sostituito il controller originale per MFJ Super Hi Q Loop, per esempio.Sarà uno studio del design originale e un po 'di lavoro, naturalmente, ma dovrebbe portare a un'antenna funzionante che ti piacerà usare.

I migliori saluti Giuseppe ve3vxo

Ciro Sammarcellino

MA l'antenna di Mazzone usa uno steep motor oppure uno a corrente continua ?

--
Ciro Sammarcellino

Cell.: 3356426305

Note in ottemperanza al Decreto Legislativo 196/2003 sulla Tutela dei Dati Personali:
Il presente messaggio e gli eventuali allegati sono rivolti unicamente all'attenzione del destinatario ed il relativo contenuto potrebbe avere carattere riservato e ne e' vietata la diffusione in qualunque modo eseguita.
Nel caso in cui aveste ricevuto questa mail per errore, Vi invitiamo ad avvertire il mittente al più presto a mezzo posta elettronica ed a distruggere il messaggio erroneamente ricevuto.

This e-mail, including any attachments, may contain private or confidential information.
If you think you may not be the intended recipient, or if you have received this e-mail in error,  please contact the sender immediately and delete all copies of this e-mail.
If you are not the intended recipient, you must not reproduce any part of this e-mail or disclose its contents to any other party.

Ce message electronique et tous les fichiers attaches qu'il contient sont confidentiels et destines exclusivement a l'usage de la personne a laquelle ils sont adresses. Si vous avez recu ce message par erreur, merci de le retourner a son emetteur.

VE3VXO

On Wed, Jan 27, 2021 at 01:18 PM, Ciro Sammarcellino wrote:
MA l'antenna di Mazzone usa uno steep motor oppure uno a corrente continua ?
Spero che non si tratta di una corrente corrente diretta. Sarebbe molto rumoroso alla radio quando si sintonizza.Anche così, puoi semplicemente sostituire il motore CC con un motore stepper.

Ciro Sammarcellino

Corretto

Il giorno mer 27 gen 2021 alle ore 19:34 VE3VXO <ve3vxo@...> ha scritto:
[...]

Use a motor called 24V dc (step) actuator, the program is not the rumor as it makes the deal and the more it turns off

but I'm not aware of this loop DI Ciro Mazzone ?? just controller problems for the rest everything ok

un salute

ik2ulp