Need help for investigation

VE2DX

Hello Gang,

I am trying to help a couple of hams using the VE2LJX/TF3LJ firmware and having a bug when using ICOM 705.

You don't need a 705, just ANY ICOM radios will do fine.

would like to do a TeamViewer session with you and simply do a recording of the TUNE command from the controller to the ICOM radios to confirm my theory.

I am not a loop owner myself (maybe soon ;P looks cool!) so I need one of you to do these tests.

many thanks in advance
--

73

Richard VE2DX
WWW.VE2DX.COM

SA5NTK

Edited

Hello Richard,

There is a bug in the original firmware. TUNE does't work with ICOM TRXes.
I have a fix for that. Replace the attached file in source code and  build the binary

73 Notko /SA5NTK

VE2DX

Great news will pass that info to my users looking for answers

greatly appreciated, this should open the door to 705 using my CT17B-6BT and CT17B-7DM using their Bluetooth link to the 705 :D
--

73

Richard VE2DX
WWW.VE2DX.COM

VE2DX

specific to 705, first feedback from my users is that it did not resolve the 705 Tune Issue...

FYI I did notice that the 705 and 7610 were NOT using the same CI-V commands for this! Please look at CI-V commands 0038 vs 0048 for both radios they are reversed?

let me know
--

73

Richard VE2DX
WWW.VE2DX.COM

SA5NTK

On Sat, Jun 18, 2022 at 09:35 PM, VE2DX wrote:
With this controller TUNE on the transceiver won't work. There are tuning buttons on the controller itself. One for "tune now", called SWR tune initiate, and one to set/reset autotune mode, called SWR autotune. Transceiver autotune should be OFF

VE2DX

On Sun, Jun 19, 2022 at 12:31 AM, SA5NTK wrote:
With this controller TUNE on the transceiver won't work. There are tuning buttons on the controller itself. One for "tune now", called SWR tune initiate, and one to set/reset autotune mode, called SWR autotune. Transceiver autotune should be OFF
Can you email me please would love to discuss this issue with you? ve2dx at hotmail dot com

--

73

Richard VE2DX
WWW.VE2DX.COM

Immo, DL5KB

hi Richard,
I follow your discussion since started this thread.

The loop controller (LC) is able to tune the loop in several manners:

1st (and main) by given values through programmed positions of the capacitor following the tx frequencies.
Depending on temperature, surrounding area, ... the loop becomes slightly off tuned and you would optimize SWR by retuning to get best SWR. You do it as 2nd shows.

2nd by pushing the button "SWR tune initiate" (SW5).  The start point is the actual programmed value of cap, correspondent to chosen frequency. It starts with a little delay after pushing the button.
The controller searches regarding the set limits the best SWR. During this TRX is set to AM and output power as you selected at setup menu. If the loop is more tuned off, you may press SW5 and short after this button UP or DOWN (SW2 or SW3) to find best SWR.

3nd (and NOT my favourite) any time, you tranmit. For this you have to enable "autotune" by pressing SW4 before. Tuning starts with given preset settings of the trx any time you transmit and SWR is out of given limits...

NOTE: You are NOT ABLE to initiate a tuning starting by the trx. The controller doesn't know such command coming from transceiver or connected PC.

My preferred adjustment goes over 1st and 2nd step. Autotune is anytime disabled...
Rem: I do not own an ICOM-trx but use a Kenwood TS-570D

Here the part from operating instruction: (I append whole instruction as PDF)

"SWR Tune and SWR Autotune options, if implemented
If the SWR autotune feature has been implemented, then an alternate method to step 8 above is as
follows:
Normal SWR Tune (Hunt Mode, push SWR Tune or Automatic):
This method hunts for SWR dip within a few hundred steps to either side of current stepper position.
Push SWR Tune. The Radio should automatically switch to AM and provide RF carrier at a low power
setting, until Tune has been finished. You should see a message "SWR Tune Success".
SWR Up or Down Tune (push SWR Tune and then Up or Down):
If the normal SWR Tune fails, then the SWR dip is most likely outside of the “Hunt Mode” range. In this
case try SWR Up tune by pressing the SWR Tune and then immediately after, press Up. This will change
the SWR Tune from "Hunt Mode" to "Up mode". When in “Up Mode”, the SWR Tune tunes upward until
one of three conditions is fulfilled – Best SWR found, Endstop reached, or timeout. SWR Down Tune
works similarly, in the downward direction.
SWR Tune (push SWR Tune button, SW5) can always be used for quick/accurate repositioning of the
Stepper for best SWR dip. This may be necessary from time to time due to temperature variations
affecting the resonance frequency of the antenna.
If SWR Autotune is ON (toggle button SW4), then an SWR Tune procedure is initiated automatically
whenever SWR goes above the set threshold. The threshold is set through Menu Function
“11-SWR Tune Thresh” "

Hope, now it's a bit more clear, how LC works.
Good luck es 73!
Immo, DL5KB

Immo, DL5KB

yesterday there were some issues to add the PDF-file. But now it worked...
73, Immo

VE2DX

Hello IMMO, looks like after looking a lot at the code (and I ain't a programmer! ;P ) that my theory even if well founded in the weird way ICOM changed 0038 and 0048 on 705 (and I will send them an email about that!) is not the cause of the issues my users are having...

The CT17B-6BT and 7DM simply carries the data back and fourth thus totally transparent to what the data is!  that's why I still like to do a sniffing session (OK! this one REALLY sounds weird! and YES! I know POT is legal now in Canada!) with someone (does not need to be 705 radio simply a recent ICOM (7300, 7610, etc...)! to see what commands is being sent by the controller when the TUNE button it hit?

Because THAT is the issue described to me, when you hit the TUNE BUTTON nothing happens...

what is making this complicated is that I don't have unit here and cant find a TEENSY 3.2 anywhere or a fully populated kit that I could used to do my own testing...

Some of you may wounder why I am going so fare with it, after all I am not making the controller simply the interfaces, and my users and I both agree that the CT17B-6BT or 7DM are not even in question! Well that's what I do for my customer ask around!

Now NOTKO, did have some interesting feedback in his last post and we are talking about it in emails (or will be!) with the setting in the 705;

"... With this controller TUNE on the transceiver won't work. There are tuning buttons on the controller itself. One for "tune now", called SWR tune initiate, and one to set/reset autotune mode, called SWR autotune. Transceiver autotune should be OFF ..."

and looked in my 705 and could not clearly locate those, the 705 is a bit weird (AGAIN!) with tuner settings because of the AH-705, so this maybe the issue if we can figure out how to set them properly...

And for those who visited my web page and notice that I live about 10km from Loftur TF3LJ/VE2LJX AND that did do in 2018 a DX expedition to ICELAND (operated from no less the 12 different QRA grids :D ), No I don't know Loftur (Even tough it is likely I ran across him in a Hamfest or club meeting somewhere?).  I did send him emails using QRZ published email address and tried to call him and left a VM at his office (I know HE IS going to KILL ME!)

so PLEASE ANYONE with a recent ICOM radio just need a few short TeamViewer SNIFFING ;P session, Please!

--

73

Richard VE2DX
WWW.VE2DX.COM