Menu button = off

Patrick

I just finished putting the controller in the chassis and did some testing.
It seems when I push the menu button it powers off.

When I release the button it comes back on.
My thought is a short, anyone have any thoughts?

Patrick

I might add that when I push the other buttons (SW2-6) nothing seems to happen

When the screen goes to sleep (Zzzzz) they don't wake it up (Any of the switches).

I do see that in the schematics that the switches are supposed to short out the traces but I wouldn't think it would actually short the system and cause what looks to be about a additional 250mA draw.
That tells me it is shorting power to ground or shorting the teensy to ground, which it shouldn't.

I tested between the switch 1 pin and pin 25 on the Teensy and I see a short circuit as it should be according to the schematic and between pins 26 and 25 I see about 4.5Ohms so I'm not exactly sure why it's being drawn down and cutting out power or why the other buttons aren't working.
The Teensy does respond to the encoder and steps the motor as it should so maybe it's a programming problem?

When I power it on it does say Version 4.10

Any help greatly appreciated!

Robbert J. van Herksen

Hi Patrick!!

Hmmm

What do you see on the display when you power up the controller ??

Can you video it for me.

 XS Max (512Gb)

--
73 de Robbert / TA2IX (aka PA3BKL)
The dutch guy living in Istanbul

Patrick

I decided to take a picture of the circuit board since it could be how I did something and since a picture is worth a thousand words.

I did also plug in the power and shorted switch 1 with the same results.

Robbert J. van Herksen

What do you see on the display immediately after you power up the controller ??

Piccie?

 XS Max (512Gb)

On 6 Jun 2022, at 11:14, Patrick <kd7wpq@...> wrote:

I decided to take a picture of the circuit board since it could be how I did something and since a picture is worth a thousand words.

I did also plug in the power and shorted switch 1 with the same results.
20220606_010834.resized.jpg

--
73 de Robbert / TA2IX (aka PA3BKL)
The dutch guy living in Istanbul

Patrick

Sorry for the mess, been working on this for many hours and watching Stargate in the background as background noise. Seen it to many times to have it distract me much.

Robbert J. van Herksen

Thanks 4 da  piccie Patrick!

How much milli-amps does your system draw immediate after start up??

 XS Max (512Gb)

On 6 Jun 2022, at 11:14, Patrick <kd7wpq@...> wrote:

I decided to take a picture of the circuit board since it could be how I did something and since a picture is worth a thousand words.

I did also plug in the power and shorted switch 1 with the same results.
20220606_010834.resized.jpg

--
73 de Robbert / TA2IX (aka PA3BKL)
The dutch guy living in Istanbul

Patrick

0.090A running
0.44A when I short out switch 1

Robbert J. van Herksen

Could not read the text, as you filmed the screen under an angle.

Can you do it again and without angle?

 XS Max (512Gb)

On 6 Jun 2022, at 11:35, Patrick <kd7wpq@...> wrote:

Sorry for the mess, been working on this for many hours and watching Stargate in the background as background noise. Seen it to many times to have it distract me much.

--
73 de Robbert / TA2IX (aka PA3BKL)
The dutch guy living in Istanbul

Robbert J. van Herksen

You seem to have the of version of the board (v 2019-05) and using the A4988 stepperdriver.

I’m using the v2021 board with the 8825 steppercontroller, which I acquired last year.

So our boards differ a bit so I cannot exactly simulate your situation here.

Try this:
remove the A4988 board and let me know if there is a change.

 XS Max (512Gb)

On 6 Jun 2022, at 11:14, Patrick <kd7wpq@...> wrote:

I decided to take a picture of the circuit board since it could be how I did something and since a picture is worth a thousand words.

I did also plug in the power and shorted switch 1 with the same results.
20220606_010834.resized.jpg

--
73 de Robbert / TA2IX (aka PA3BKL)
The dutch guy living in Istanbul

Robbert J. van Herksen

Try this:

After powering up, i guess that on the display it says ‘Motor ON’, or does it say ‘Motor OFF’?

Keep rotating the steppermotor shaft with your fingers, and check it you can rotate it manually.

While doing that, hit switch 1 and let me know if the motor is suddenly ‘engaged’, meaning that you can’t rotate it anymore after hitting switch one.

Sorry for all this hoopla, but this is the only way for me to help you out.

 XS Max (512Gb)

On 6 Jun 2022, at 12:56, Patrick <kd7wpq@...> wrote:

0.090A running
0.44A when I short out switch 1

--
73 de Robbert / TA2IX (aka PA3BKL)
The dutch guy living in Istanbul

Robbert J. van Herksen

And after you remove the stepperdriver board, can you measure again??

 XS Max (512Gb)

On 6 Jun 2022, at 12:56, Patrick <kd7wpq@...> wrote:

0.090A running
0.44A when I short out switch 1

--
73 de Robbert / TA2IX (aka PA3BKL)
The dutch guy living in Istanbul

Robbert J. van Herksen

Hi Patrick

I noticed from your video that your loop-controllerboard is just sitting ‘naked’ on your table.

Any tiny piece of wire or cut off component-wire and/or solder-droppings will eventually cause some kind of shortcut. You can just wait for it to happen. [ I learned my lessons in the past -(( ]

Please check the board for pieces of conductive material that might have attached to the soldering side of the board. Also check thr component sode of the board.
Check with a lot of light on the board and use a magnifierglass.
A tiny ball of solder can cause BIG problems!!

I remember another ham in this group that had his system sitting ‘naked’ and his systeem suddenly started acting totally weird! Messed up.

 XS Max (512Gb)

On 6 Jun 2022, at 12:56, Patrick <kd7wpq@...> wrote:

0.090A running
0.44A when I short out switch 1

--
73 de Robbert / TA2IX (aka PA3BKL)
The dutch guy living in Istanbul

Patrick

OK, I'm going to reply to all the messages with this one message.

It was late here so I went to bed (very late).

As for it being a older stepper driver, yes, that does look to be the case but the stepper motor does work.

I don't have the stepper motor connected at the moment but if hitting switch 1 draws everything down then one could assume there would be no reaction by the motor with everything basically off but if you think this is worth testing I'll test tonight.

It'll be a process to remove the stepper motor board. Something I'll try to get to tonight.
When I put the board in I soldered it in then later thought, "If it burns out this is going to be a pain to remove, I should have put a socket in", so I plan to remove it and put a socket in for quick removal if necessary.

I removed the controller board from the chassis because of the switch problems and to potentially eliminate the chassis or other newly connected wires from the equation. The table is non-conductive. I've put computer motherboards on this bench for testing before. I do enough with electronics that a conductive table would cause me serious problems.
I did however look the board over again and I don't see anything obvious that would cause any unwanted shorts. Granted my soldering skills are amateur but I think it looks good.

I'll work on getting the stepper driver out (I'll likely need to cut it out then pull the pins) and then test the switches again.

About the only thing I would change in this project is having a box that was pre-punched.
I don't mind the assembling but the mapping and cutting holes is a real PITA. I definitely didn't get my wholes properly spaced.

Anyhow, I'll report back when i have something to report.

Patrick

Edited

OK, still at a loss.

Just spent the past couple hours pulling the stepper driver off the board and replaced it with a socket so the stepper motor can be swapped out if needed.

I checked the whole board over, washed it with isopropyl alcohol and then rinsed with isopropyl and blew it dry, I don't see anything that is obvious.

With the stepper driver removed it is still doing the same thing

With the stepper driver and motor connected if I turn the encoder it will step the motor.

Here are some high resolution photos of the board just after being cleaned...

Robbert J. van Herksen

Hi Patrick

Whew, that was a BIG job but good that you made it removable.

Talking about the stepperdriver:
Did you correctly Set The Motor Current Limit on the A4988 Stepper Motor Driver?

 XS Max (512Gb)

On 7 Jun 2022, at 05:32, Patrick <kd7wpq@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

OK, still at a loss.

Just spent the past couple hours pulling the stepper driver off the board and replaced it with a socket so the stepper motor can be swapped out if needed.

I checked the whole board over, washed it with isopropyl alcohol and then rinsed with isopropyl and blew it dry, I don't see anything that is obvious.

With the stepper driver removed it is still doing the same thing

With the stepper driver and motor connected if I turn the encoder it will step the motor.

Here are some high resolution photos of the board just after being cleaned...
20220606_190321.jpg20220606_190333.jpg

--
73 de Robbert / TA2IX (aka PA3BKL)
The dutch guy living in Istanbul

Patrick

I don't recall ever reading about that

Robbert J. van Herksen

It’s mentioned in the docs.

Here is a YT video about it:

 XS Max (512Gb)

On 7 Jun 2022, at 10:26, Patrick <kd7wpq@...> wrote:

I don't recall ever reading about that

--
73 de Robbert / TA2IX (aka PA3BKL)
The dutch guy living in Istanbul

Patrick

I will watch the video but in this situation the stepper driver wasn't attached and switch 1 still acted like a short

Immo, DL5KB

hi Patrick,

Last pictures of your board show me a question to be answered: the resistor R19 should be 4k7. On the picture it looks like 0.47R...(yellow, vio, gold, gold) is this only light reflex or is it gold?
good luck!
73 Immo, DL5KB