Topics

Just starting building the tuner.....


Patrick
 

So I'm just starting to build the tuner. I have most the components on the main board.

I realized I forgot to order the Teensy board so that is on order but I wanted to know if everything looks correct, particularly the diodes.
I know the diodes are directional and quite frankly I don't put electronics together very often.


Jay Christensen
 

I think you have some errors, I can't see the board well enough to tell for sure.
The banded end of the Diodes have to mach the band on the circuit board. 

On Mon, Feb 1, 2021, 12:54 PM Patrick <kd7wpq@...> wrote:

So I'm just starting to build the tuner. I have most the components on the main board.

I realized I forgot to order the Teensy board so that is on order but I wanted to know if everything looks correct, particularly the diodes.
I know the diodes are directional and quite frankly I don't put electronics together very often.


Jay Christensen
 

It looks like the glass Diodes are backwards, the largest diode looks right and can't see the bands on the circuit board for the other two diodes .


On Mon, Feb 1, 2021, 12:54 PM Patrick <kd7wpq@...> wrote:

So I'm just starting to build the tuner. I have most the components on the main board.

I realized I forgot to order the Teensy board so that is on order but I wanted to know if everything looks correct, particularly the diodes.
I know the diodes are directional and quite frankly I don't put electronics together very often.


Patrick
 

OK, I'll take another picture but from what you've said then that means my two small zener diodes are facing the wrong direction, so I will get that corrected.


Patrick
 

Here's another picture.
On last thing I want to verify is that the DRV8825 is on correctly.
I had to trace pins to try and figure out how to put it on in the correct direction.


Jay Christensen
 

Looks like the Same picture. Zenier diodes still backwards .
Can't help on driver chip, my controller is in Wisconsin and I am in Florida for the next month. 
Check ground pin on board and driver chip board.

On Mon, Feb 1, 2021, 1:24 PM Patrick <kd7wpq@...> wrote:
Here's another picture.
On last thing I want to verify is that the DRV8825 is on correctly.
I had to trace pins to try and figure out how to put it on in the correct direction.


Leonard A. Gucciardo KD2NEN
 

It looks like your diodes are all in backwards. Look at the band on the diode it must be matched up to the band on the pc board.

Leonard A. Gucciardo
KD2NEN

On Feb 1, 2021, at 2:09 PM, Patrick <kd7wpq@...> wrote:

OK, I'll take another picture but from what you've said then that means my two small zener diodes are facing the wrong direction, so I will get that corrected.

--
LennyG KD2NEN


Leonard A. Gucciardo KD2NEN
 


Here is a picture of a working board if this helps.
Leonard A. Gucciardo
KD2NEN

On Feb 1, 2021, at 3:03 PM, Leonard A. Gucciardo KD2NEN via groups.io <lgucciar@...> wrote:

It looks like your diodes are all in backwards. Look at the band on the diode it must be matched up to the band on the pc board.

Leonard A. Gucciardo
KD2NEN

On Feb 1, 2021, at 2:09 PM, Patrick <kd7wpq@...> wrote:

OK, I'll take another picture but from what you've said then that means my two small zener diodes are facing the wrong direction, so I will get that corrected.

--
LennyG KD2NEN

--
LennyG KD2NEN


Patrick
 

Indeed it does.
It looks like you have heavier duty chokes than I do.

Hopefully that doesn't become a problem for me.

It does look like I have my driver pointing the correct direction.

Thank you for the picture! I'll save it for reference along with all the other documentation I've downloaded. You never know when you'll need it.


Patrick
 

Here, corrected and got some extra soldering in, but now I have to get my client work done....
:)


Immo
 

hi Lenny,
while regardig your controller board, I'm not shure, if the two resistors R17 and R18 are 22k. On the picture it seems to be 47k instead. Perhaps you should verify the values. Perhaps the colours are only not so good to recognize on the picture. 
good luck!
73, Immo, DL5KB


Leonard A. Gucciardo KD2NEN
 

Yes they are. That was intentional as I designed my own bridge to work with it. If you are using Loftur’s bridge they would be 22k. I did a lot of redesign for my application. This whole project is about engineering a perfect automatic loop. Feel free to use your imagination to make it better. I used a modified breune bridge in my coupler using only 1 transformer which worked amazing. If you go with your own resistors you must make changes in the firmware located in I believe the SWR tune part of firmware in the bridge math section. You would put the values that you used. My coupler put out a higher voltage and current which forced me to alter the resistor divider network.

Leonard A. Gucciardo
KD2NEN

On Feb 2, 2021, at 7:08 AM, Immo <dl5kb@...> wrote:

hi Lenny,
while regardig your controller board, I'm not shure, if the two resistors R17 and R18 are 22k. On the picture it seems to be 47k instead. Perhaps you should verify the values. Perhaps the colours are only not so good to recognize on the picture. 
good luck!
73, Immo, DL5KB

--
LennyG KD2NEN


Immo
 

hi Lenny,
no harm ment! An error would have prevented the controller from working as expected. And I know, it's any time a bad feeling, if the new project doesn't have the intended success. 
So 73 and good success.
Immo, DL5KB


Patrick
 

I'm confused.

Are we talking about my board or another board?
I'm trying to build according to the online and documented specifications as I don't have the knowledge to be re-designing the board to make changes.

R17 and R18 are part of the SWR meter which according to the paper I received with my board weren't labeled so I had to do some digging to find the right resistors.

According to the online manual it says 22K though it is possible I got the wrong information when I was installing them.


Patrick
 

And I just double checked. According to the manual on my board...

Resistor values R15, R16 and R17, R18 on Controller PCB:
For a useful range of 0.5 – 200W, R15 and R16 on the Controller PCB should be 18 kohm 1/4W (example: Digikey 18KQBK-ND) and
R17, R18 should be 22 kohm 1/4W (example: Digikey 22KQBK-ND).

And I confirmed I have 22K on 17 and 18 and 18K on 15 and 16


Immo
 

hi Patrick,
it doesn't concern your board. Sorry for the confusion.
I took a look over the board from Lenny, whose photo he sent as an example, to see what direction the subboard with the stepper driver should have. 
And he has some changes in his board, according his changed hardware. I found them!
I think, your board is ok...
73
Immo, DL5KB


Patrick
 

ahhh, I see!
OK, just wanted to clarify that I wasn't missing something.

As for my board, we'll find out if it's OK when I fire it up :P

I still have stuff left to do but my focus at the moment is getting work done. I hope to be bench testing this weekend but we shall see.

BTW, thank you for all the follow ups! You've been EXTREMELY helpful!