Board availability

Gill

Does anyone know if boards are still available?  I've emailed lofturj@... twice but have not gotten a response. I did get one in September of 2021, but am looking for a second board.  Perhaps he has moved on to other things.

Gill W4BXA

pierre Gilbert

Hi Gill,
Try with Frederik ON5IA, that’s where I got mine.
Good luck
73, Pierre VE2IU

Envoyé de mon iPad Air 2

Le 19 juill. 2022 à 10:16, Gill <w4bxa@...> a écrit :

Does anyone know if boards are still available?  I've emailed lofturj@... twice but have not gotten a response. I did get one in September of 2021, but am looking for a second board.  Perhaps he has moved on to other things.

Gill W4BXA

bullstreetboy

Gill

Given the current availability of Teensy 3.2 which appears, from this forum , people are having problems getting them, could be more of an issue than PCBs, unless have your own stash!

I have just got 10 pcb’s  manufactured for another project, but the designer kindly published files that enabled me to get  them re-manufactured. Superb PCB service from Hong Kong.

I’m willing to try other  Teensy micro processors and modify the code if/as  needed.(probably mostly pinouts- maybe some timing issues)  But PCB design is not one of my skills sets.

Sadly this project is suffering from, lack of what I now perceive as, an  obsolete processors.

Any thoughts/input Guys

Barry – 2E0IDE

From: loopController@groups.io <loopController@groups.io> On Behalf Of Gill
Sent: 19 July 2022 15:17
To: loopController@groups.io
Subject: [loopController] Board availability

Gill W4BXA

Virus-free. www.avast.com

Gill

Thanks, guys!  Wish I had learned about ON5IA's site earlier.   Lots of great info there on building this thing.  Have reached out to him on board availability.

I am aware of the problems getting a Teensy 3.2, but my understanding is they will be made again in 2023.  I'm trying to be ready for that happening by gathering all the other parts.

Gill W4BXA

Luigi IK0NKA

Hi all.
Just joined the group since 3 minutes and immediately I've found a priceless info about the PCBs: me too I wrote twice to lofturj at 2 different addresses with no reply, so to have a rescue in ON5IA site is a very good new. Please Gill confirm you've found there the PCBs.

Tnx to all for the attention, sure I'll find valuable infos here. 73
                                                               Luigi IK0NKA

Gill

Edited

Yes!  See https://www.golb.be/the-automatic-magnetic-loop-tuner/    Great guy!

Drop him an email for shipping cost to your location.

He has bare boards, kits of board plus all soldered on parts (which is what I ordered), as well as the SWR board (included with the board plus parts kit.  Looking forward to mine arriving.  Building a second one here.  First one was built with Loftur’s board.

The write up on all the correct settings to use this with a 7300 were awesome!  I had been struggling with this.

Be aware that finding a Teensy of the right version is a problem.  Supposedly will be more produced mid-2023, but who knows! We were fortunate here to find one leftover from another project.  It may be possible to find a knock off from AliExpress, but no promises.  I was about to try there.

Also be aware that you some of the parts are expensive.  The suggested motor with reduction gear is great, but $48 plus exhorbitant shipping from Robot Shop.  There are alternatives out there, but this one works great.  Having zero slop in the gears is awesome!  Ordered most of the rest of my parts from eBay sellers.

Well worth it in the end.  Awesome controller!

Gill W4BXA

Luigi IK0NKA

Hi Gill! 
Many tnx for all these precious infos. Hwv it:s not clear to me if the pcb boards sold by ON5IA are similar, identical or differs in some way from the original design of Loftur. 
Except for smd mounts I'm able to do all the works, including some programming job, il needed. I have different types of stepper motors and caps, but I'll give a look to the ON5 materials. Hope to find also a useful Teensy board in my shack... I suppose some similar bord will work with some mods to the fw. 
Many many tnx again for your reply and your kind attention, 73 de
          Luigi IK0NKA

Il mar, 26 lug, 2022 alle 15:15, Gill
<w4bxa@...> ha scritto:

He has bare boards, kits of board plus all soldered on parts (which is what I ordered), as well as the SWR board (included with the board plus parts kit.  Looking forward to mine arriving.  Building a second one here.  First one was built with Loftur’s board.

The write up on all the correct settings to use this with a 7300 were awesome!  I had been struggling with this.

Be aware that finding a Teensy of the right version is a problem.  Supposedly will be more produced mid-2023, but who knows! We were fortunate here to find one leftover from another project.  It may be possible to find a knock off from AliExpress, but no promises.  I was about to try there.

Also be aware that you some of the parts are expensive.  The suggested motor with reduction gear is great, but $48 plus exhorbitant shipping from Robot Shop.  There are alternatives out there, but this one works great.  Having zero slop in the gears is awesome!  Ordered most of the rest of my parts from eBay sellers.

Well worth it in the in.  Awesome controller!

Gill W4BXA

Barry - 2E0IDE

Guys

I’ve taken a token look at alternatives to the 3.2

I’m no expert, but the 4.0  seems to be the best fit, albeit it will need an interface board between it and the main board, because of  3.3v to 5V logic level differences There are standard package  logics to overcome this already.

I’ve had my controller almost since Loftur’s  inception,  and all credit to Loftur. It does have some programming “features” (bugs) but non that I have not found a workaround.

I’m currently running a Vac cap(10:1 reduction) , but going back to butterfly(no end stop problems) , as I had better result with it being driven by a 100:1 reduction.

I’m currently working on a 18 MHz-29 MHz loop with home brew cnc cut plates.

It’s good to see that this magnificent project has so many followers. Given shrinking space everywhere, it is a lifeline to many Hams.

B – 2E0IDE

Sent: 26 July 2022 14:15
Subject: Re: [loopController] Board availability

Gill W4BXA

Jay Christensen

From what I was told the software is not compatible. 
N9CFG 

On Tue, Jul 26, 2022, 9:31 AM Barry - 2E0IDE <barry@...> wrote:

Guys

I’m no expert, but the 4.0  seems to be the best fit, albeit it will need an interface board between it and the main board, because of  3.3v to 5V logic level differences There are standard package  logics to overcome this already.

I’ve had my controller almost since Loftur’s  inception,  and all credit to Loftur. It does have some programming “features” (bugs) but non that I have not found a workaround.

I’m currently running a Vac cap(10:1 reduction) , but going back to butterfly(no end stop problems) , as I had better result with it being driven by a 100:1 reduction.

It’s good to see that this magnificent project has so many followers. Given shrinking space everywhere, it is a lifeline to many Hams.

B – 2E0IDE

Yes!  See https://www.golb.be/the-automatic-magnetic-loop-tuner/    Great guy!

He has bare boards, kits of board plus all soldered on parts (which is what I ordered), as well as the SWR board (included with the board plus parts kit.  Looking forward to mine arriving.  Building a second one here.  First one was built with Loftur’s board.

The write up on all the correct settings to use this with a 7300 were awesome!  I had been struggling with this.

Be aware that finding a Teensy of the right version is a problem.  Supposedly will be more produced mid-2023, but who knows! We were fortunate here to find one leftover from another project.  It may be possible to find a knock off from AliExpress, but no promises.  I was about to try there.

Also be aware that you some of the parts are expensive.  The suggested motor with reduction gear is great, but $48 plus exhorbitant shipping from Robot Shop.  There are alternatives out there, but this one works great.  Having zero slop in the gears is awesome!  Ordered most of the rest of my parts from eBay sellers.

Well worth it in the in.  Awesome controller!

Gill W4BXA

John KC9OJV

Barry,

Rather than put a daughterboard adapter wouldn't it make more sense to port the code to the new processor, modify the PCB design to incorporate the voltage shifting and have a gen 2 (perhaps it v3) version of the board? Loftur may not be interested in that task but perhaps someone with those skills would? We're perhaps a too small a group to have a person with those skills but there are definitely people in the Amateur community that could tackle this. On the other hand if Teensy 3.2 isn't obsolete but rather just a supply chain issue perhaps it's not worth the bother?

John
KC9OJV

On Tuesday, July 26, 2022 at 09:24:47 AM CDT, Barry - 2E0IDE <barry@...> wrote:

Guys

B – 2E0IDE

Gill W4BXA

bullstreetboy

Thanks for the feedback:-

Software can be resolved.

It’s the interface that is more of a problem

But

Negative input will not solve the legacy problem.

Software :-  can be overcome

From: loopController@groups.io <loopController@groups.io> On Behalf Of Jay Christensen
Sent: 26 July 2022 16:07

From what I was told the software is not compatible. 

N9CFG 

On Tue, Jul 26, 2022, 9:31 AM Barry - 2E0IDE <barry@...> wrote:

Guys

B – 2E0IDE

Yes!  See https://www.golb.be/the-automatic-magnetic-loop-tuner/    Great guy!

He has bare boards, kits of board plus all soldered on parts (which is what I ordered), as well as the SWR board (included with the board plus parts kit.  Looking forward to mine arriving.  Building a second one here.  First one was built with Loftur’s board.

The write up on all the correct settings to use this with a 7300 were awesome!  I had been struggling with this.

Be aware that finding a Teensy of the right version is a problem.  Supposedly will be more produced mid-2023, but who knows! We were fortunate here to find one leftover from another project.  It may be possible to find a knock off from AliExpress, but no promises.  I was about to try there.

Also be aware that you some of the parts are expensive.  The suggested motor with reduction gear is great, but $48 plus exhorbitant shipping from Robot Shop.  There are alternatives out there, but this one works great.  Having zero slop in the gears is awesome!  Ordered most of the rest of my parts from eBay sellers.

Well worth it in the in.  Awesome controller!

Gill W4BXA

Image removed by sender.

;

Gary W9TD

I tried to get the software working with an ESP-32, without success. Didn’t work at it for very long, though, and it compiled without errors. Must have been some flaw I couldn’t find. It didn’t even drive the display, faulting on boot.
Gary
W9TD