Topics

Mobile number portability

czg7777

You quoted a Wikipedia article, which goes on to mention that:

Numbers are only portable within a LIR (local interconnection region), regions defined by the ILEC and approved by the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC), each of which cover a number of exchanges. Each LIR has a Point of Interconnection (POI) exchange through which calls are routed, and if a number is ported out to a different LIR then calls to that destination will be rejected by the POI switch.
Not all exchanges support LNP, typically there needs to exist competition within an exchange before an ILEC will enable portability, and then only by request. Most small local independent telephone company exchanges are exempted from competition and local number portability requirements. Numbers in the rarely used non-geographic area code 600 are not portable.

Local interconnection regions follow ILEC switching arrangements, and typically cover relatively small areas. See https://localcallingguide.com/lca_listlir.php for a list.

On Dec 23, 2018, at 11:02 AM, belanger@... wrote:

My question was in reference to the definition on telephone portability. See below. It could be that I misinterpret the part on geographic portability.

As czg7777 mentioned, landline caller have long distance reaching me on my cell phone. So I thought that if geographic portability is provided by some means I could request my cell phone number to be moved to the city where I actually live?

Local number portability (LNP) for fixed lines, and full mobile number portability (FMNP) for mobile phone lines, refers to the ability of a "customer of record" of an existing fixed-line or mobile telephone number assigned by a local exchange carrier (LEC) to reassign the number to another carrier ("service provider portability"), move it to another location ("geographic portability"), or change the type of service ("service portability").[1]

belanger@...

My question was in reference to the definition on telephone portability. See below. It could be that I misinterpret the part on geographic portability.

As czg7777 mentioned, landline caller have long distance reaching me on my cell phone. So I thought that if geographic portability is provided by some means I could request my cell phone number to be moved to the city where I actually live?

Local number portability (LNP) for fixed lines, and full mobile number portability (FMNP) for mobile phone lines, refers to the ability of a "customer of record" of an existing fixed-line or mobile telephone number assigned by a local exchange carrier (LEC) to reassign the number to another carrier ("service provider portability"), move it to another location ("geographic portability"), or change the type of service ("service portability").[1]

John Novack

czg7777 wrote:
What do you mean by "updated to a different city"? Numbers are assigned to a particular rate centre. This is based on landline technology and not particularly relevant for mobile usage, since the local calling area generally changes according to wherever the mobile phone happens to be. The only relevance is that calls to a mobile number from a landline will be charged according to the "home" rate centre of the mobile number.

I have a mobile number ( in the US ) in a rate center some 80 miles from my billing address. it was ported from an RCF number, which originally, 18 years ago, a land line.  Since my carrier considered my current location within THEIR local calling area, they allowed the port, though given that it was requested the first day porting to and from mobile numbers were allowed, it did take 3 months.
In the US, at least, it seems the location and name for numbers is up to the whim of the particular carrier, and often doesn't even change once a number is ported away to another carrier.

Anymore, in the US at least, so many providers have nationwide calling unlimited included, locations, and even the NPA, are close to being meaningless. Mostly only the IILEC carriers vary.
Customers move around the country, keep their numbers, I assume even changing their billing address, and nothing else changes. Only the "copper" fixed land lines and their offshoots seem to continue the 30 year old configurations and restrictions.

John Novack

--

Dog is my Co-pilot

czg7777

What do you mean by "updated to a different city"? Numbers are assigned to a particular rate centre. This is based on landline technology and not particularly relevant for mobile usage, since the local calling area generally changes according to wherever the mobile phone happens to be. The only relevance is that calls to a mobile number from a landline will be charged according to the "home" rate centre of the mobile number.

belanger@...

Hi,
Is it possible in Canada to have a cell phone number updated, within the same area code, to a different city. If yes what is the procedure?
Thanks