moderated FlDigi with MacloggerDX issues #ts-590s #macos #fldigi #flrig

Juanjo, EA3LX <jjmota@...>

Hello,

Sorry to bother you but I have a problem with FlDigi and MacloggerDX and I wanted to ask you if you could help me. 2 problems:

I connect the Fldigi with the FlRig and almost everything works correctly, I have been able to make the qso's automatically pass to the Maclogger perfectly but every time I save a qso, the frequency of the equipment is changed, in the FlDigi there is a large window where it says the frequency of the equipment but there is also a smaller window that marks the audio frequency, basically it marks where you are transmitting in the waterfall, for example, the equipment is in 7.040, and the large window marks 7.040 and for example, in the waterfall it is in 850hz Well, the small window marks 7.048.5, at the moment that except for the qso the equipment goes to that frequency and each qso it does, depending on where the waterfall is, the equipment varies with each qso ... logically that It is unacceptable to do a contest since each qso would have to return to the original frequency, 7.040

Anyone know why it happens? Can I solve it in any way?

The other problem is that the only way to make the FlDigi go is to connect it to the FlRig, if I connect it only with Maclogger it does not output audio through the output of the internal USB card of my Kenwood TS-590s, it outputs the audio through the microphone input , I have solved the PTT with the K7UF script but I don't know how to do it with the audio because I can't find how to tell FlDigi that the audio is on rear (USB audio codec ) as if it can be done with WSJT. With FlRig works perfect but with Maclogger, FlDigi read the frequency but not mode ( USB-D ) , in FlDigi shwos only USB , I think this is te problem, when FLRig is connected, FLDigi read frequency and mode (USB-D) correct and transmits fine.

I would like not to use FlRig and for everything to be commanded by MacloggerDx.

I use a Kenwood TS-590s, with Mac Mini (M1) and Monterey and the latest versions of all the mentioned programs.

Anyone have any suggestions, any help will be welcome, thank you very much in advance and Merry Christmas, 73 from Juanjo / EA3LX

Cliff, AE5ZA

Hi Juanjo,

I really don’t think your first “problem” is a problem.The other station may have their cursor at a different point on the waterfall so to log the same frequency they would have to log, like you, the VFO + Waterfall frequency. In your example where you have the composite freq of 7.048.5 the other station may see you at 1700 on thier waterfall so their VFO would read 7038.8 and the waterfall =1700 to log 7.048.5. Logging the composite frequency is the only way to match the two QSOs in the contest.

I can’t help you with the second problem. I’ve not used MacLogger, but if it is controlling fldigi then it should put fldigi in USB-D mode. I suggest you contact the MacLogger people and see if they have a solution.

73,
Cliff, AE5ZA

On Dec 7, 2021, at 16:45, Juanjo, EA3LX <jjmota@...> wrote:

[...]

Ed W3NR

On 12/7/21 6:19 PM, Cliff, AE5ZA wrote:
Hi Juanjo,
I really don’t think your first “problem” is a problem.The other station may have their cursor at a different point on the waterfall so to log the same frequency they would have to log, like you, the VFO + Waterfall frequency. In your example where you have the composite freq of 7.048.5 the other station may see you at 1700 on thier waterfall so their VFO would read 7038.8 and the waterfall =1700 to log 7.048.5. Logging the composite frequency is the only way to match the two QSOs in the contest.
I can’t help you with the second problem. I’ve not used MacLogger, but if it is controlling fldigi then it should put fldigi in USB-D mode. I suggest you contact the MacLogger people and see if they have a solution.
73,
Cliff, AE5ZA
I don't know of a single contest that you need the exact frequency, just band.

Ed W3NR

Ed W3NR

On 12/7/21 5:45 PM, Juanjo, EA3LX wrote:
[...]
That is the way fldigi was coded by Dave years ago. Your the first that I know of that has a problem with it.

It is 100% the correct way to log the correct frequency.

Ed W3NR

Dave, KZ1O

> the equipment is in 7.040, and the large window marks 7.040 and for example, in the waterfall it is in 850hz Well, the small window marks 7.048.5

Could you confirm please, that the frequency display is off by 8.5 kHz? That is, exactly ten times the audio frequency?

Juanjo, EA3LX <jjmota@...>

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the contributions. Yesterday it was not working and I was able to dedicate a bit to trying to solve the problems that I exposed.

The issue that both the FlDigi and JTDX could work without using the FlRig I have already solved it, taking advantage of the fact that the Kenwwod TS-590s has CAT control by RS232 and also via USB, the Maclogger I have put it with the RS232 and FlDigi and With the USB, obviously without using both at the same time, the issue that the FlDigi would not output audio without the FlRig is also solved.

The other problem, the frequency changes in the equipment after saving a qso, continues.

Maybe I did not explain it well, I understand perfectly that the qso is saved with the sum of the VFO and the audio frequency, in fact this is how the JTDX also does it, with the difference that with the JTDX you can do dozens of qso's but it never changes the rig's VFO frequency. Logically there is an error when I explain, if the VFO is in 7040 and the audio frequency is in 850hz, when you save the qso, the VFO changes to the sum of 7040 plus 850hz, that is, 7040.85, NOT as I said before 7048.5, it is a mistake, sorry.

Yesterday after fixing the first problem, I started doing a few qso's in PSK31, after each qso I had to put the VFO back in 14070, in each qso, the VFO moved up adding the audio frequency, if not I would put the VFO back in 14070, because I had ended up transmitting in 14080 !!, that's the problem! Logically the rig doesn't have the rit, split, etc, activated, it's all correct, exactly the same as when I do FT8 and the JTDX doesn't change the rig's VFO.

I hope I have explained myself correctly. I come from Windows and the truth is that MacOS is very complicated for me, all based on scripts, commands, etc., it is very hard. I miss the ease of windows, where you install the program and to work ...., I miss you Windows but it is possible that if the problems continue, in the near future I will return to Windows.

Thank you all and greetings, Juanjo / EA3LX