moderated No sound out for digital ham #digital #wsjtx #ubuntu #soundout

richard kappler, W2KAP <richkappler@...>

I'm running Ubuntu 14.04 on a Toshiba Satellite P75 A7200 with a Intel Lynx Point PCH - High Definition Audio Controller. I'm trying to set up my computer to use WSJTX to do digital ham radio with my ICOM IC-718. WSJTX works fine, I am able to use CAT control for the rig using flrig and WSJTX, running an Icom USB CT-17 FTDI from Valley Enterprises. I purchased an ACC cable from K6VHF for digital tx and rx that plugs into the mic and headphone ports on my computer and the ACC port on my rig. Input into the laptop from the radio works fine, I get signals, waterfall display, everything I should, but I cannot transmit. Configs on the WSJTX software have been troubleshot with the WSJTX community and all seems to be as should be. The laptop is simply not sending the signals out to the radio. I have verified that the port works in general by playing some music and listening with a set of earbuds plugged into the headphone jack.

It was suggested by the WSJTX community that an eternal sound card might well solve the problem. I bought a VAlinks 6 ch external soundcard ( https://www.amazon.com/VAlinks-Exter...nal+sound+card ) plugged it in this morning, but pretty much the same thing. When I look at the sound settings, the card shows up for input, but output is still my built in audio speakers, no other choices. I looked around for drivers for this thing, can only get drivers for windoze. The external soundcard shows up when I run lsusb.

I need some guidance in either getting the laptop soundcard sending output to my rig, or getting the external soundcard to show up in outputs on the sound menu so I can run the output signals to the rig through it. Any ideas?

Ed W3NR

( https://www.amazon.com/VAlinks-External-Surround-Recording-Compatible/dp/B013256ODG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1516370704&sr=8-3&keywords=valinks+6+channel+external+sound+card
) ) plugged it in this morning, but pretty much the same thing. When
I look at the sound settings, the card shows up for input, but output
is still my built in audio speakers, no other choices. I looked
around for drivers for this thing, can only get drivers for windoze.
The external soundcard shows up when I run lsusb.

I need some guidance in either getting the laptop soundcard sending
output to my rig, or getting the external soundcard to show up in
outputs on the sound menu so I can run the output signals to the rig
through it. Any ideas?

sudo adduser (your user name) dialout. Log out and log back in.

Ed W3NR

richard kappler, W2KAP <richkappler@...>

Edit: It was suggested that an EXTERNAL sound card might solve the problem. I have thus far been unable to find an eternal sound card. hihi

--
W2KAP

In any given circuit, the most expensive part will always sacrifice itself to protect the fuse.

richard kappler, W2KAP <richkappler@...>

Thanks for the response Ed, I'm already in the dialout group. Added when I instaled fldigi/flrig a few weeks ago, verified it persisted this morning.

On Fri, Jan 19, 2018 at 11:29 AM, richard kappler, W2KAP <richkappler@...> wrote:
[...]

Dave, W1HKJ

enter on a terminal window

$ groups

are you a member of the "audio" group?

David

On 01/19/2018 10:24 AM, richard kappler, W2KAP wrote:
[...]

I was not, am now. External sound card still not showing. Will check if the problem is resolved in WSJTX after work.

On Fri, Jan 19, 2018 at 11:31 AM, Dave <w1hkj@...> wrote:
[...]

you may need to log out and back on for the new group to be effective

On 01/19/2018 10:33 AM, richard kappler, W2KAP wrote:
I was not, am now. External sound card still not showing. Will check if the problem is resolved in WSJTX after work.

On Fri, Jan 19, 2018 at 11:31 AM, Dave <w1hkj@...> wrote:
enter on a terminal window

$ groups

are you a member of the "audio" group?

David

richard kappler, W2KAP <richkappler@...>

No joy. I'm home with the antenna up and my laptop hooked in now. I'm trying FT8 on 40 meters. Pretty darn sure I'm still not transmitting, psk reporter says my callsign (W2KAP) has never been heard transmitting and my radio does not go into TX, I can hear no relays activating. I have verified I am in both the dial out and audio groups.

My settings are as follows:
Radio - Icom 718, poll interval 2s
CAT - tty/usb0
baud rate 9600
8 data bits
2 stop bits
handshake - none
PPT method Vox
mode USB
split ops none

CAT test is green

Audio is:
Input: alsa_input.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo (mono)
Output: alsa_output.pci-0000_00_03.0.hdmi-stereo (both)

I also tried Output: alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo

Radio has Pre amp on, attenuator, noise blanker, and is set for VOX

On Fri, Jan 19, 2018 at 11:43 AM, Dave <w1hkj@...> wrote:
you may need to log out and back on for the new group to be effective

On 01/19/2018 10:33 AM, richard kappler, W2KAP wrote:
I was not, am now. External sound card still not showing. Will check if the problem is resolved in WSJTX after work.

On Fri, Jan 19, 2018 at 11:31 AM, Dave <w1hkj@...> wrote:
enter on a terminal window

$ groups

are you a member of the "audio" group?

David

--
W2KAP

In any given circuit, the most expensive part will always sacrifice itself to protect the fuse.

Ed W3NR

On Fri, 19 Jan 2018 16:37:03 -0500
[...]

Can you test without the vox ?

Does the 718 need to be set to data as most Icoms do ?

Ed W3NR

richard kappler, W2KAP <richkappler@...>

Dunno, let me give it a try. I tried it without VOX (by accident) last week, no joy, but I haven't tried it with the rig set on RTTY, I thought it had to be USB. Is this what you mean?

On Fri, Jan 19, 2018 at 5:21 PM, Ed W3NR <autek@...> wrote:
On Fri, 19 Jan 2018 16:37:03 -0500
"richard kappler, W2KAP" <richkappler@...> wrote:

> No joy. I'm home with the antenna up and my laptop hooked in now. I'm
> trying FT8 on 40 meters. Pretty darn sure I'm still not transmitting,
> psk reporter says my callsign (W2KAP) has never been heard
> transmitting and my radio does not go into TX, I can hear no relays
> activating. I have verified I am in both the dial out and audio
> groups.
>
> My settings are as follows:
> Radio - Icom 718, poll interval 2s
> CAT - tty/usb0
> baud rate 9600
> 8 data bits
> 2 stop bits
> handshake - none
> PPT method Vox
> mode USB
> split ops none
>
> CAT test is green
>
> Audio is:
> Input: alsa_input.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo (mono)
> Output: alsa_output.pci-0000_00_03.0.hdmi-stereo (both)
>
> I also tried Output: alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo
>
> Radio has Pre amp on, attenuator, noise blanker, and is set for VOX

Can you test without the vox ?

Does the 718 need to be set to data as most Icoms do ?

Ed W3NR

--
W2KAP

In any given circuit, the most expensive part will always sacrifice itself to protect the fuse.

richard kappler, W2KAP <richkappler@...>

If I'm understanding correctly, then no. Turned VOX off, no tx, cahnged mode to rtty, as soon as WSJTX tried to transmit it went back to USB, went into setting and changed from USB to data/pkt, got a rig control error.

On Fri, Jan 19, 2018 at 5:24 PM, richard kappler, W2KAP <richkappler@...> wrote:
Dunno, let me give it a try. I tried it without VOX (by accident) last week, no joy, but I haven't tried it with the rig set on RTTY, I thought it had to be USB. Is this what you mean?

On Fri, Jan 19, 2018 at 5:21 PM, Ed W3NR <autek@...> wrote:
On Fri, 19 Jan 2018 16:37:03 -0500
"richard kappler, W2KAP" <richkappler@...> wrote:

> No joy. I'm home with the antenna up and my laptop hooked in now. I'm
> trying FT8 on 40 meters. Pretty darn sure I'm still not transmitting,
> psk reporter says my callsign (W2KAP) has never been heard
> transmitting and my radio does not go into TX, I can hear no relays
> activating. I have verified I am in both the dial out and audio
> groups.
>
> My settings are as follows:
> Radio - Icom 718, poll interval 2s
> CAT - tty/usb0
> baud rate 9600
> 8 data bits
> 2 stop bits
> handshake - none
> PPT method Vox
> mode USB
> split ops none
>
> CAT test is green
>
> Audio is:
> Input: alsa_input.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo (mono)
> Output: alsa_output.pci-0000_00_03.0.hdmi-stereo (both)
>
> I also tried Output: alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo
>
> Radio has Pre amp on, attenuator, noise blanker, and is set for VOX

Can you test without the vox ?

Does the 718 need to be set to data as most Icoms do ?

Ed W3NR

--
W2KAP

In any given circuit, the most expensive part will always sacrifice itself to protect the fuse.

--
W2KAP

In any given circuit, the most expensive part will always sacrifice itself to protect the fuse.

Ed W3NR

On Fri, 19 Jan 2018 17:28:30 -0500
"richard kappler, W2KAP" <richkappler@...> wrote:

If I'm understanding correctly, then no. Turned VOX off, no tx,
cahnged mode to rtty, as soon as WSJTX tried to transmit it went back
to USB, went into setting and changed from USB to data/pkt, got a rig
control error.
What are you using for rig control ? Did you recheck your settings
especially comport and baud rate.

Ed W3NR

richard kappler, W2KAP <richkappler@...>

Just WSJTX. I presume it's using hamlib. Baud rate is set at 9400. Comport is correct at tty/usb0. Cat works fine, both in WSJTX and flrig. Receive works great, I see all kinds of action. Just can't transmit.

On Fri, Jan 19, 2018 at 5:37 PM, Ed W3NR <autek@...> wrote:
On Fri, 19 Jan 2018 17:28:30 -0500
"richard kappler, W2KAP" <richkappler@...> wrote:

> If I'm understanding correctly, then no. Turned VOX off, no tx,
> cahnged mode to rtty, as soon as WSJTX tried to transmit it went back
> to USB, went into setting and changed from USB to data/pkt, got a rig
> control error.

What are you using for rig control ? Did you recheck your settings
especially comport and baud rate.

Ed W3NR

--
W2KAP

In any given circuit, the most expensive part will always sacrifice itself to protect the fuse.

Jeff KP3FT

Sorry I can't get more detailed, but I remember I had a tough time getting audio out to my rig.  I got it working by using one of the "monitor" outs in Pulse Audio.

Tony <ynotssor@...>

On 01/19/2018 02:40 PM, richard kappler, W2KAP wrote:

Just WSJTX. I presume it's using hamlib. Baud rate is set at 9400. Comport is correct at tty/usb0. Cat works fine, both in WSJTX and flrig. Receive works great, I see all kinds of action. Just can't transmit.

Are you sure you didn't mean 9600 and /dev/ttyUSB0 ? Linux is case-sensitive.

richard kappler, W2KAP <richkappler@...>

Yes, that's what I meant. That's what I get for mutlitasking, sorry.

On Fri, Jan 19, 2018 at 5:51 PM, Tony via Groups.Io <ynotssor@...> wrote:
On 01/19/2018 02:40 PM, richard kappler, W2KAP wrote:

Just WSJTX. I presume it's using hamlib. Baud rate is set at 9400. Comport is correct at tty/usb0. Cat works fine, both in WSJTX and flrig. Receive works great, I see all kinds of action. Just can't transmit.

Are you sure you didn't mean 9600 and /dev/ttyUSB0 ? Linux is case-sensitive.

--
W2KAP

In any given circuit, the most expensive part will always sacrifice itself to protect the fuse.

richard kappler, W2KAP <richkappler@...>

Another little piece of info, whether or not helpful remains to be seen. When running WSJTX, if I look in the sound settings, for applications I get QtmPulseContxt:2527

On Fri, Jan 19, 2018 at 5:53 PM, richard kappler, W2KAP <richkappler@...> wrote:
Yes, that's what I meant. That's what I get for mutlitasking, sorry.

On Fri, Jan 19, 2018 at 5:51 PM, Tony via Groups.Io <ynotssor@...> wrote:
On 01/19/2018 02:40 PM, richard kappler, W2KAP wrote:

Just WSJTX. I presume it's using hamlib. Baud rate is set at 9400. Comport is correct at tty/usb0. Cat works fine, both in WSJTX and flrig. Receive works great, I see all kinds of action. Just can't transmit.

Are you sure you didn't mean 9600 and /dev/ttyUSB0 ? Linux is case-sensitive.

--
W2KAP

In any given circuit, the most expensive part will always sacrifice itself to protect the fuse.

--
W2KAP

In any given circuit, the most expensive part will always sacrifice itself to protect the fuse.

Jeff KP3FT

Can you play a MP3 or video, and see if it keys your radio's VOX (into a dummy load of course)?

[...]

Cliff, AE5ZA

Baud rate matches the radio's setting, correct?

73,
Cliff, AE5ZA