moderated No sound out for digital ham #digital #wsjtx #ubuntu #soundout

richard kappler, W2KAP <richkappler@...>

I'm running Ubuntu 14.04 on a Toshiba Satellite P75 A7200 with a Intel Lynx Point PCH - High Definition Audio Controller. I'm trying to set up my computer to use WSJTX to do digital ham radio with my ICOM IC-718. WSJTX works fine, I am able to use CAT control for the rig using flrig and WSJTX, running an Icom USB CT-17 FTDI from Valley Enterprises. I purchased an ACC cable from K6VHF for digital tx and rx that plugs into the mic and headphone ports on my computer and the ACC port on my rig. Input into the laptop from the radio works fine, I get signals, waterfall display, everything I should, but I cannot transmit. Configs on the WSJTX software have been troubleshot with the WSJTX community and all seems to be as should be. The laptop is simply not sending the signals out to the radio. I have verified that the port works in general by playing some music and listening with a set of earbuds plugged into the headphone jack.

It was suggested by the WSJTX community that an eternal sound card might well solve the problem. I bought a VAlinks 6 ch external soundcard ( https://www.amazon.com/VAlinks-Exter...nal+sound+card ) plugged it in this morning, but pretty much the same thing. When I look at the sound settings, the card shows up for input, but output is still my built in audio speakers, no other choices. I looked around for drivers for this thing, can only get drivers for windoze. The external soundcard shows up when I run lsusb.

I need some guidance in either getting the laptop soundcard sending output to my rig, or getting the external soundcard to show up in outputs on the sound menu so I can run the output signals to the rig through it. Any ideas?

Ed W3NR

On Fri, 19 Jan 2018 08:24:48 -0800
"richard kappler, W2KAP" <richkappler@...> wrote:

I'm running Ubuntu 14.04 on a Toshiba Satellite P75 A7200 with
a Intel Lynx Point PCH - High Definition Audio Controller. I'm trying
to set up my computer to use WSJTX to do digital ham radio with my
ICOM IC-718. WSJTX works fine, I am able to use CAT control for the
rig using flrig and WSJTX, running an Icom USB CT-17 FTDI from Valley
Enterprises. I purchased an ACC cable from K6VHF for digital tx and
rx that plugs into the mic and headphone ports on my computer and the
ACC port on my rig. Input into the laptop from the radio works fine,
I get signals, waterfall display, everything I should, but I cannot
transmit. Configs on the WSJTX software have been troubleshot with
the WSJTX community and all seems to be as should be. The laptop is
simply not sending the signals out to the radio. I have verified that
the port works in general by playing some music and listening with a
set of earbuds plugged into the headphone jack.

It was suggested by the WSJTX community that an eternal sound card
might well solve the problem. I bought a VAlinks 6 ch external
soundcard ( https://www.amazon.com/VAlinks-Exter...nal+sound+card
( https://www.amazon.com/VAlinks-External-Surround-Recording-Compatible/dp/B013256ODG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1516370704&sr=8-3&keywords=valinks+6+channel+external+sound+card
) ) plugged it in this morning, but pretty much the same thing. When
I look at the sound settings, the card shows up for input, but output
is still my built in audio speakers, no other choices. I looked
around for drivers for this thing, can only get drivers for windoze.
The external soundcard shows up when I run lsusb.

I need some guidance in either getting the laptop soundcard sending
output to my rig, or getting the external soundcard to show up in
outputs on the sound menu so I can run the output signals to the rig
through it. Any ideas?

sudo adduser (your user name) dialout. Log out and log back in.

Ed W3NR

Edit: It was suggested that an EXTERNAL sound card might solve the problem. I have thus far been unable to find an eternal sound card. hihi

On Fri, Jan 19, 2018 at 11:24 AM, richard kappler, W2KAP <richkappler@...> wrote:
I'm running Ubuntu 14.04 on a Toshiba Satellite P75 A7200 with a Intel Lynx Point PCH - High Definition Audio Controller. I'm trying to set up my computer to use WSJTX to do digital ham radio with my ICOM IC-718. WSJTX works fine, I am able to use CAT control for the rig using flrig and WSJTX, running an Icom USB CT-17 FTDI from Valley Enterprises. I purchased an ACC cable from K6VHF for digital tx and rx that plugs into the mic and headphone ports on my computer and the ACC port on my rig. Input into the laptop from the radio works fine, I get signals, waterfall display, everything I should, but I cannot transmit. Configs on the WSJTX software have been troubleshot with the WSJTX community and all seems to be as should be. The laptop is simply not sending the signals out to the radio. I have verified that the port works in general by playing some music and listening with a set of earbuds plugged into the headphone jack.

It was suggested by the WSJTX community that an eternal sound card might well solve the problem. I bought a VAlinks 6 ch external soundcard ( https://www.amazon.com/VAlinks-Exter...nal+sound+card ) plugged it in this morning, but pretty much the same thing. When I look at the sound settings, the card shows up for input, but output is still my built in audio speakers, no other choices. I looked around for drivers for this thing, can only get drivers for windoze. The external soundcard shows up when I run lsusb.

I need some guidance in either getting the laptop soundcard sending output to my rig, or getting the external soundcard to show up in outputs on the sound menu so I can run the output signals to the rig through it. Any ideas?

--
W2KAP

In any given circuit, the most expensive part will always sacrifice itself to protect the fuse.

Thanks for the response Ed, I'm already in the dialout group. Added when I instaled fldigi/flrig a few weeks ago, verified it persisted this morning.

On Fri, Jan 19, 2018 at 11:29 AM, richard kappler, W2KAP <richkappler@...> wrote:
Edit: It was suggested that an EXTERNAL sound card might solve the problem. I have thus far been unable to find an eternal sound card. hihi

On Fri, Jan 19, 2018 at 11:24 AM, richard kappler, W2KAP <richkappler@...> wrote:

--
W2KAP

In any given circuit, the most expensive part will always sacrifice itself to protect the fuse.

--
W2KAP

Dave, W1HKJ

enter on a terminal window

$ groups

are you a member of the "audio" group?

David

On 01/19/2018 10:24 AM, richard kappler, W2KAP wrote:

I was not, am now. External sound card still not showing. Will check if the problem is resolved in WSJTX after work.

On Fri, Jan 19, 2018 at 11:31 AM, Dave <w1hkj@...> wrote:

$ groups

David

On 01/19/2018 10:24 AM, richard kappler, W2KAP wrote:

--
W2KAP

Dave, W1HKJ

you may need to log out and back on for the new group to be effective

On 01/19/2018 10:33 AM, richard kappler, W2KAP wrote:
I was not, am now. External sound card still not showing. Will check if the problem is resolved in WSJTX after work.

$ groups

David

No joy. I'm home with the antenna up and my laptop hooked in now. I'm trying FT8 on 40 meters. Pretty darn sure I'm still not transmitting, psk reporter says my callsign (W2KAP) has never been heard transmitting and my radio does not go into TX, I can hear no relays activating. I have verified I am in both the dial out and audio groups.

My settings are as follows:
Radio - Icom 718, poll interval 2s
CAT - tty/usb0
baud rate 9600
8 data bits
2 stop bits
handshake - none
PPT method Vox
mode USB
split ops none

CAT test is green

Audio is:
Input: alsa_input.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo (mono)
Output: alsa_output.pci-0000_00_03.0.hdmi-stereo (both)

I also tried Output: alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo

Radio has Pre amp on, attenuator, noise blanker, and is set for VOX

On Fri, Jan 19, 2018 at 11:43 AM, Dave <w1hkj@...> wrote:

$ groups

David

--
W2KAP

Ed W3NR

On Fri, 19 Jan 2018 16:37:03 -0500

No joy. I'm home with the antenna up and my laptop hooked in now. I'm
trying FT8 on 40 meters. Pretty darn sure I'm still not transmitting,
psk reporter says my callsign (W2KAP) has never been heard
transmitting and my radio does not go into TX, I can hear no relays
activating. I have verified I am in both the dial out and audio
groups.

CAT - tty/usb0
baud rate 9600
8 data bits
2 stop bits
handshake - none
PPT method Vox
mode USB
split ops none

CAT test is green

Audio is:

Can you test without the vox ?

Does the 718 need to be set to data as most Icoms do ?

Ed W3NR

Dunno, let me give it a try. I tried it without VOX (by accident) last week, no joy, but I haven't tried it with the rig set on RTTY, I thought it had to be USB. Is this what you mean?

On Fri, Jan 19, 2018 at 5:21 PM, Ed W3NR <autek@...> wrote:

> No joy. I'm home with the antenna up and my laptop hooked in now. I'm
> trying FT8 on 40 meters. Pretty darn sure I'm still not transmitting,
> psk reporter says my callsign (W2KAP) has never been heard
> transmitting and my radio does not go into TX, I can hear no relays
> activating. I have verified I am in both the dial out and audio
> groups.
>
> My settings are as follows:
> Radio - Icom 718, poll interval 2s
> CAT - tty/usb0
> baud rate 9600
> 8 data bits
> 2 stop bits
> handshake - none
> PPT method Vox
> mode USB
> split ops none
>
> CAT test is green
>
> Audio is:
> Input: alsa_input.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo (mono)
> Output: alsa_output.pci-0000_00_03.0.hdmi-stereo (both)
>
> I also tried Output: alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo
>
> Radio has Pre amp on, attenuator, noise blanker, and is set for VOX

Ed W3NR

--
W2KAP

If I'm understanding correctly, then no. Turned VOX off, no tx, cahnged mode to rtty, as soon as WSJTX tried to transmit it went back to USB, went into setting and changed from USB to data/pkt, got a rig control error.

On Fri, Jan 19, 2018 at 5:24 PM, richard kappler, W2KAP <richkappler@...> wrote:
Dunno, let me give it a try. I tried it without VOX (by accident) last week, no joy, but I haven't tried it with the rig set on RTTY, I thought it had to be USB. Is this what you mean?

On Fri, Jan 19, 2018 at 5:21 PM, Ed W3NR <autek@...> wrote:

> No joy. I'm home with the antenna up and my laptop hooked in now. I'm
> trying FT8 on 40 meters. Pretty darn sure I'm still not transmitting,
> psk reporter says my callsign (W2KAP) has never been heard
> transmitting and my radio does not go into TX, I can hear no relays
> activating. I have verified I am in both the dial out and audio
> groups.
>
> My settings are as follows:
> Radio - Icom 718, poll interval 2s
> CAT - tty/usb0
> baud rate 9600
> 8 data bits
> 2 stop bits
> handshake - none
> PPT method Vox
> mode USB
> split ops none
>
> CAT test is green
>
> Audio is:
> Input: alsa_input.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo (mono)
> Output: alsa_output.pci-0000_00_03.0.hdmi-stereo (both)
>
> I also tried Output: alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo
>
> Radio has Pre amp on, attenuator, noise blanker, and is set for VOX

Ed W3NR

--
W2KAP

--
W2KAP

Ed W3NR

On Fri, 19 Jan 2018 17:28:30 -0500

If I'm understanding correctly, then no. Turned VOX off, no tx,
cahnged mode to rtty, as soon as WSJTX tried to transmit it went back
to USB, went into setting and changed from USB to data/pkt, got a rig
control error.
What are you using for rig control ? Did you recheck your settings
especially comport and baud rate.

Ed W3NR

Just WSJTX. I presume it's using hamlib. Baud rate is set at 9400. Comport is correct at tty/usb0. Cat works fine, both in WSJTX and flrig. Receive works great, I see all kinds of action. Just can't transmit.

On Fri, Jan 19, 2018 at 5:37 PM, Ed W3NR <autek@...> wrote:

> If I'm understanding correctly, then no. Turned VOX off, no tx,
> cahnged mode to rtty, as soon as WSJTX tried to transmit it went back
> to USB, went into setting and changed from USB to data/pkt, got a rig
> control error.

Ed W3NR

--
W2KAP

Jeff KP3FT

Sorry I can't get more detailed, but I remember I had a tough time getting audio out to my rig.  I got it working by using one of the "monitor" outs in Pulse Audio.

To: linuxham@groups.io
Sent: Friday, January 19, 2018 6:40 PM
Subject: Re: [linuxham] No sound out for digital ham #ubuntu #soundout #digital #WSJTX

Just WSJTX. I presume it's using hamlib. Baud rate is set at 9400. Comport is correct at tty/usb0. Cat works fine, both in WSJTX and flrig. Receive works great, I see all kinds of action. Just can't transmit.

On Fri, Jan 19, 2018 at 5:37 PM, Ed W3NR <autek@...> wrote:

> If I'm understanding correctly, then no. Turned VOX off, no tx,
> cahnged mode to rtty, as soon as WSJTX tried to transmit it went back
> to USB, went into setting and changed from USB to data/pkt, got a rig
> control error.

Ed W3NR

--
W2KAP

Tony <ynotssor@...>

On 01/19/2018 02:40 PM, richard kappler, W2KAP wrote:

Are you sure you didn't mean 9600 and /dev/ttyUSB0 ? Linux is case-sensitive.

Yes, that's what I meant. That's what I get for mutlitasking, sorry.

On Fri, Jan 19, 2018 at 5:51 PM, Tony via Groups.Io <ynotssor@...> wrote:

--
W2KAP

Another little piece of info, whether or not helpful remains to be seen. When running WSJTX, if I look in the sound settings, for applications I get QtmPulseContxt:2527

On Fri, Jan 19, 2018 at 5:53 PM, richard kappler, W2KAP <richkappler@...> wrote:
Yes, that's what I meant. That's what I get for mutlitasking, sorry.

On Fri, Jan 19, 2018 at 5:51 PM, Tony via Groups.Io <ynotssor@...> wrote:

--
W2KAP

--
W2KAP

Jeff KP3FT

Can you play a MP3 or video, and see if it keys your radio's VOX (into a dummy load of course)?

Sent: Friday, January 19, 2018 5:37 PM
Subject: Re: [linuxham] No sound out for digital ham #ubuntu #soundout #digital #WSJTX

No joy. I'm home with the antenna up and my laptop hooked in now. I'm trying FT8 on 40 meters. Pretty darn sure I'm still not transmitting, psk reporter says my callsign (W2KAP) has never been heard transmitting and my radio does not go into TX, I can hear no relays activating. I have verified I am in both the dial out and audio groups.

CAT - tty/usb0
baud rate 9600
8 data bits
2 stop bits
handshake - none
PPT method Vox
mode USB
split ops none

CAT test is green

Audio is:

$ groups

David

--
W2KAP

I can, it does not.

On Fri, Jan 19, 2018 at 6:04 PM, KP3FT via Groups.Io <kp3ft@...> wrote:
Can you play a MP3 or video, and see if it keys your radio's VOX (into a dummy load of course)?

Sent: Friday, January 19, 2018 5:37 PM

CAT - tty/usb0
baud rate 9600
8 data bits
2 stop bits
handshake - none
PPT method Vox
mode USB
split ops none

CAT test is green

Audio is:

$ groups

David

--
W2KAP

--
W2KAP

Cliff, AE5ZA

Baud rate matches the radio's setting, correct?

Cliff, AE5ZA

On Jan 19, 2018, at 3:37 PM, richard kappler, W2KAP <richkappler@...> wrote:

CAT - tty/usb0
baud rate 9600
8 data bits
2 stop bits
handshake - none
PPT method Vox
mode USB
split ops none

CAT test is green

Audio is:

$ groups

David

--
W2KAP