moderated Anybody else running TQSL?

Harry Bloomberg, W3YJ

Is there anybody else out there running TQSL (Logbook of The World) under Linux?  I upgraded from version 2.5.5 to 2.5.6 today and it now hangs when uploading QSOs.  Fortunately I kept the old version around and it still works.  I'm curious to know if this is a widespread issue or just happening to me or on Raspberry Pi OS.

73,
Harry Bloomberg W3YJ

Cliff, AE5ZA

Hi Larry,

Haven’t tried any of the later versions on the Pi. It’s a pain to build, for me at least, so if you have a better way of getting later versions on the Pi I’d appreciate a note. What I have works without a hitch so probably shouldn’t mess with it, I think it is 2.5.3 maybe.

If you find a resolution for 2.5.6 please notify the linuxham list.

73,
Cliff, AE5ZA

On Nov 14, 2020, at 13:34, Harry Bloomberg, W3YJ <hbloomb@...> wrote:

Is there anybody else out there running TQSL (Logbook of The World) under Linux?  I upgraded from version 2.5.5 to 2.5.6 today and it now hangs when uploading QSOs.  Fortunately I kept the old version around and it still works.  I'm curious to know if this is a widespread issue or just happening to me or on Raspberry Pi OS.

73,
Harry Bloomberg W3YJ

Harry Bloomberg, W3YJ

My first build of TQSL was a pain because of all the library dependencies I had to identify and install.  But once that's done it's not too bad to build, I've already built one upgrade.  Yes, I'll let folks on the list know what I discover about the problem.

73,
Harry W3YJ

On Sat, Nov 14, 2020 at 2:54 PM Cliff, AE5ZA <ae5zaham@...> wrote:
[...]

John W4JKL <w4jklleroy@...>

I get a cmake error on my Debian 10.5 Linux Intel box:

CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake-3.13/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:137 (message):
  Could NOT find wxWidgets (missing: wxWidgets_LIBRARIES
  wxWidgets_INCLUDE_DIRS)
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  /usr/share/cmake-3.13/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:378 (_FPHSA_FAILURE_MESSAGE)
  /usr/share/cmake-3.13/Modules/FindwxWidgets.cmake:963 (find_package_handle_standard_args)
  apps/CMakeLists.txt:16 (find_package)

73,
John W4JKL

Ed W3NR

Did anyone think to run build-dep first ?

Harry Bloomberg, W3YJ

Ed:
    This does not exist in the TQSL world, there's no such thing as build-dep there.  Download the tar file for TQSL from ARRL and read INSTALL and you'll see what I mean.

John:
   Is this the first time you've tried building TQSL?  I needed to install wxWidgets for GTK+ libraries for runtime and development.  What I'm curious about is if 2.5.5 worked for you but if you're having a problem with 2.5.6.

73,
Harry W3YJ

On Sat, Nov 14, 2020 at 10:45 PM Ed W3NR <autek@...> wrote:
Did anyone think to run build-dep first ?

W5DET

I found this blog post which got me to successful installation on LinuxMint.
One of the items it addresses is wxWidgets.

73, Doug, W5DET

John W4JKL <w4jklleroy@...>

I had pulled the libraries forward to "Sid" to get a Ubuntu package to build, and forgot to set them back. The new TQSL builds OK now.
73,
John W4JKL

John W4JKL <w4jklleroy@...>

Harry, I've been progressively building the TQSL packages and running them with CQRLOG 2.4.0 (126) on this box. Debian 10.5 stable is way back at tqsl-2.4.3-1.
73,
John W4JKL

Dave Slotter, W3DJS

Cliff,

HamPi which uses Ansible playbooks to build -- is able to build TQSL just fine.

Let me know if you want the URL to the Ansible playbook for building TQSL.

-Dave

--
- Dave
  W3DJS

Harry Bloomberg, W3YJ

Have you been able to sign and upload a QSO with 2.5.6?

73,
Harry W3YJ

On Sun, Nov 15, 2020 at 10:36 AM John W4JKL via groups.io <w4jklleroy=aim.com@groups.io> wrote:
I had pulled the libraries forward to "Sid" to get a Ubuntu package to build, and forgot to set them back. The new TQSL builds OK now.
73,
John W4JKL

Joseph Counsil, KØOG

Harry,

On my Linux Mint 20 Xfce system, 2.5.5 worked fine.  I just built/installed 2.5.6 from source, and it fails when I attempt to upload a new QSO:  The upload window briefly appears then the whole TQSL program spontaneously closes with no error message, and I could not find any error log file anywhere.  My Mint 20 system is fully up to date as of this morning (11/15/20).  I'll investigate more, and if I don't find a solution I'll submit a report to the ARRL TQSL team.

73,
-Joe-
K0OG

Harry Bloomberg, W3YJ

John, thank you!!!  This confirms that there's a problem with TQSL 2.5.6 under Linux and it's just not something specific to my Raspberry Pi.  I will also submit a report to ARRL.  In the meantime I've rolled back to 2.5.5 so it's not a critical problem for me.

73,
Harry W3YJ

On Sun, Nov 15, 2020 at 11:08 AM Joseph Counsil, KØOG <counsil@...> wrote:
Harry,

On my Linux Mint 20 Xfce system, 2.5.5 worked fine.  I just built/installed 2.5.6 from source, and it fails when I attempt to upload a new QSO:  The upload window briefly appears then the whole TQSL program spontaneously closes with no error message, and I could not find any error log file anywhere.  My Mint 20 system is fully up to date as of this morning (11/15/20).  I'll investigate more, and if I don't find a solution I'll submit a report to the ARRL TQSL team.

73,
-Joe-
K0OG

Ken, KV5Y

On 11/15/2020 7:20 AM W5DET <w5det@...> wrote:

I found this blog post which got me to successful installation on LinuxMint.
One of the items it addresses is wxWidgets.

73, Doug, W5DET

Joseph Counsil, KØOG

Harry,

I did some more testing by directly downloading the source from Sourceforge with git, and 2.5.6 still does not work.  I even tried 2.5.6-beta, -rc1, and -rc2, but they fail as well.  Built and installed from the 2.5.5 git tag, all works fine.

I submitted a full report to the ARRL TQSL team, so let's hope they can implement a fix.  I'll post a note here if a fix is forthcoming.

73,
-Joe-
K0OG

Harry Bloomberg, W3YJ

Thanks Joe!  I'll file a report with ARRL also.  Nice to know it's not just happening to me.

73,
Harry W3YJ

On Sun, Nov 15, 2020 at 3:57 PM Joseph Counsil, KØOG <counsil@...> wrote:
Harry,

I did some more testing by directly downloading the source from Sourceforge with git, and 2.5.6 still does not work.  I even tried 2.5.6-beta, -rc1, and -rc2, but they fail as well.  Built and installed from the 2.5.5 git tag, all works fine.

I submitted a full report to the ARRL TQSL team, so let's hope they can implement a fix.  I'll post a note here if a fix is forthcoming.

73,
-Joe-
K0OG

John W4JKL <w4jklleroy@...>

I used TQSL 2.5.6 with CQRLOG this morning and uploaded and downloaded with no problems. I never use it without CQRLOG, so I only exercise the api.
73,
John W4JKL

Jeff Stillinger, KB6IBB

The code available on the ARRL web site (http://www.arrl.org/tqsl-download) builds perfectly without error.   Built on Oracle Enterprise Server 8, Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8, CentOS, Suse Leap 15.2 and Suse Enterprise Linux.

On 11/15/20 3:07 PM, Harry Bloomberg, W3YJ wrote:

Thanks Joe!  I'll file a report with ARRL also.  Nice to know it's not just happening to me.

73,
Harry W3YJ

On Sun, Nov 15, 2020 at 3:57 PM Joseph Counsil, KØOG <counsil@...> wrote:
Harry,

I did some more testing by directly downloading the source from Sourceforge with git, and 2.5.6 still does not work.  I even tried 2.5.6-beta, -rc1, and -rc2, but they fail as well.  Built and installed from the 2.5.5 git tag, all works fine.

I submitted a full report to the ARRL TQSL team, so let's hope they can implement a fix.  I'll post a note here if a fix is forthcoming.

73,
-Joe-
K0OG

Harry Bloomberg, W3YJ

Yes, it builds.  The problem is that it's not uploading QSO for some of us.

73,
Harry W3YJ

On Sun, Nov 15, 2020 at 7:06 PM Jeff Stillinger, KB6IBB via groups.io <kb6ibb=zohomail.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

It's uploading QSOs for me -- Ubuntu 16.04 x86_64.

So something is different between the machines that work and the ones that don't.

73,

--
Dave Slotter, W3DJS