moderated No audio input selection in wsjtx on raspberry pi 4 #wsjtx

Jay Lijoi, WB2QQJ

Good morning,

I have wsjtx installed on my raspberry PI 4. Everything seems to work, however I get an two errors at startup:

"Error in sound output Requested input audio format is not supported on device"
"Error in sound input Requested input audio format is not supported on device"

In the audio settings I select  in the soundcard output Plughw:CARD=b1.DEV=0 and the output error is resolved.

The problem is that the Soundcard Intput does not present any options when clicked on. It's blank.

Please help,
Jay wb2qqj

Larry AC8YE

GM Jon,

Soundcard input is blank because a Raspberry Pi doesn't have any sound input, only an output.  You must use an external soundcard, typically a USB dongle.  These are available at various price-points, and there sound quality also varies so YMMV.

73... Larry AC8YE

On Sat, Jul 11, 2020 at 11:16 AM Jay Lijoi, WB2QQJ <lijoi@...> wrote:
Good morning,

I have wsjtx installed on my raspberry PI 4. Everything seems to work, however I get an two errors at startup:

"Error in sound output Requested input audio format is not supported on device"
"Error in sound input Requested input audio format is not supported on device"

In the audio settings I select  in the soundcard output Plughw:CARD=b1.DEV=0 and the output error is resolved.

The problem is that the Soundcard Intput does not present any options when clicked on. It's blank.

Please help,
Jay wb2qqj

Marty Hartwell, KD8BJ

Hi All

Obviously another popular Sound device is the Signal Link produced by Tigertronics, and

a Google search will get all the information. It also is connected by USB, on the Pi I have

a couple of the dongle devices and they both work very well. And much cheaper too.

We do have choices.

Good luck.

Marty kd8bj

On 7/11/20 10:44 AM, Larry Howell wrote:
[...]

If I hook up with usb directly to my radio (ic-7300 or KX2) do I still need the external sound device"

Larry AC8YE

The IC-7300 has a built-in sound card so a USB connection from your computer to the radio is all you need.  I use my 7300 this way almost every day.
The KX2 *may* be similar, but a quick look a the specs on mentions encode/decode of psk and tty modes.  I'd suggest reading the appropriate sections of the KX2 documentation will tell the tale.

72 / 73...  Larry AC8YE

On Sat, Jul 11, 2020 at 1:16 PM Jay Lijoi, WB2QQJ <lijoi@...> wrote:
If I hook up with usb directly to my radio (ic-7300 or KX2) do I still need the external sound device"

Harry Bloomberg, W3YJ

The IC-7300 has an internal soundcard.  Audio is provided through the USB cable.  This is a great feature for anybody doing digital operation, fewer cables and external USB soundcard devices needed!

The KX2 does not have an internal soundcard.  You will need to connect a USB soundcard via cables to the mic and headphone jacks.  Elecraft sells a cable set with right-angle audio plugs at one end to minimize the stress on the mic and headphone jacks.  You will also need to adjust output audio with your volume control.  If you've selected a digital mode in the KX2, the mic gain is bypassed along with the speech compressor.  Finally, if you want to hear the audio coming from the radio, you will need to connect a headphone splitter and plug in a set of headphones or an amplified speaker.

I've got an Elecraft KX3 and love it but it's a mess to set up and tear down and I've got to carry a large collection of cables and accessories.  This is one reason I put in a reservation for an Icom IC-705 which has an internal USB soundcard like the IC-7300.  I've attached a photo of my Field Day station so you can see exactly what I mean about the KX3 being a wiring nightmare.

73,
Harry Bloomberg W3YJ

On Sat, Jul 11, 2020 at 1:16 PM Jay Lijoi, WB2QQJ <lijoi@...> wrote:
If I hook up with usb directly to my radio (ic-7300 or KX2) do I still need the external sound device"

David, SVØSGS <sv0sgs@...>

I use an Icom IC-7200 with on-board sound card.  "One cable to rule them all, and on my Raspi bind it."  I also have a Yaesu FT-891.  No built-in sound card.  Lots of cable salad.  The IC-7200 is much heavier than the FT-891, but I don't have to haul as much crap with me when I work portable.  Yaesu  really missed the ball here.  I will not pay 1200 dollars for an Icom IC-705.

73!
David SV0SGS

Am 11.07.20 um 20:27 schrieb Harry Bloomberg, W3YJ:

[...]

Dave, W1HKJ

You might want to consider a Xiegu-5105, much cheaper, and fully supported by flrig.  If you were hiking with Gandalf in the Mountains of Moria you probably would want to go as light as possible, a single band QRP rig.  If you like building things this might be worth a second look

I have no association with the seller.

73, David, W1HKJ

On 7/11/20 1:09 PM, David, SVØSGS via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Thank you all,

I'm up and running with usb sound card and kx2!

Harry Bloomberg W3YJ, thank you for the photo and info.

I'm new to the Raspberry PI with Amateur radio software so I'm  still figuring it all out. I have been using an Intel stick computer, but it is very slow and I'm so tired of Window's updates. I was holding out for Linux on Chromebook, but I don't think they will ever get the USB out of beta. I also , in a state of delusion, thought some one would have created an ft8 android app since most of carry a cell phone all the time,

You are right, the kx2 works, but not a convenient setup. That's OK because I really use the kx2 for a light on the go CW rig, and  love it for that.

I might consider the IC-705 when the price settles down, but it isn't a KX2 eliminator (and why Icom engineers didn't think a tuner would be a good idea in a rig design for throwing wire over a tree limb is beyond me).

Thank you again, one and all, for getting me up and running,
Jay wb2qqj