moderated WSJT-X Installation Issue #wsjtx

Dave, G8FXM

I'm having difficulty installing WSJT-X onto my KDE PC. If fails because of a Libc6 >=24 dependency. I have Libc6 installed on my PC anyone know how I update it to the required version?

73s de G8FXM

Dave, G8FXM

On Wed, Jul 1, 2020 at 08:50 AM, Dave, G8FXM wrote:
Sorry that should have read Libc6 >=2.27
2.31 is the latest version I can find?

Dave, G8FXM

According to apt-get install libc6
Licc6 is already the newest version (2.23-Obuntu11.)

so why does install fail quoting libc6 dependency is not satisfied?

G8DQX

Dave,

it would help to state what OS & version is in use. Ubuntu 18.04 has version 2.27 of libc6. That suggests that Ubuntu 16.04 (or some version <18.04) or a derivative is in use. According to the WSJT-X home page (http://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/wsjtx.html), the lowest supported version of Ubuntu is 18.04.

The options would appear to be:

- to update the OS (generally best to re-install for a desktop installation, especially if heavily added to/modified

- to run Ubuntu 20.04 LTS (or derivative) in a VM

- to compile from WSJT-X from source (not recommended if you've not compiled programs from source before)

There is a WSJTX group at https://wsjtx.groups.io/g/main.

HTH, 73, Stay Safe,

Robin, G8DQX

On 01/07/2020 09:27, Dave, G8FXM wrote:
According to apt-get install libc6
Licc6 is already the newest version (2.23-Obuntu11.)

so why does install fail quoting libc6 dependency is not satisfied?

Dave, G8FXM

Thanks for this, I'm Running Linux Mint 18.3 KDE Edition so sounds like it's no longer compatible with WSJT-X.

G8DQX

Sorry to say, but Mint 18.3 is based on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, thus not compatible with WSJT-X v2.2.

There are two later versions of Mint: 19.3 (Ubuntu 18.04 LTS) or 20 (Ubuntu 20.04 LTS). Neither of them offer KDE as a desktop, but it would seem to be possible to add KDE, as noted here http://www.linuxandubuntu.com/home/linux-mint-kde-still-possible.

In your shoes, I'd try out Mint 20 on a spare machine (already have, beg, steal, or borrow). It doesn't have to be very super, or you could install it to an external drive (flash stick or USB connected HDD).

HTH, 73, Stay Safe,

Robin, G8DQX