moderated PTT on IC-718 #pi3 #raspberrypi #flrig

Jeff Hesse, KI7EIX

I am having issues with getting PTT to activate on my IC-718 using a CI-V cable for CAT control and cable going from ACCY port on radio to Sabrent sound card into RPI3.  I am using FLRIG with the following settings for Xcvr.
  • Rig IC-718
  • /dev/ttyUSB0
  • Baud 9600
  • checked box 1, Echo, RTS +12v and DTR +12v
  • CI-V adr set as 0x5E
I have JS8Call settings for Radio as FLRig FLRig with PTT method as VOX, Mode set at USB and Split Operation is None.  If I send an HB in JS8Call I hear a tone; however it does not activate the PTT to actually transmit.  I am not sure if there is a setting I am missing or have incorrect.  Any help would be appreaciated.  I am using this same RPI and sound card with my FT-891 with FLRIG and have no issues.

Cliff, AE5ZA

Unless the Sabrent card is more than a sound card it will not activate VOX unless you setup the VOX settings on the radio. It’s the one that has to detect the audio. The CIV cable as you know does not control PTT and the Sabrent will not either unless it has special circuitry to ground pin 3 on the ACC port to key the radio.

73,
Cliff, AE5ZA

On May 12, 2020, at 14:32, Jeff Hesse, KI7EIX <hessejm@...> wrote:

I am having issues with getting PTT to activate on my IC-718 using a CI-V cable for CAT control and cable going from ACCY port on radio to Sabrent sound card into RPI3.  I am using FLRIG with the following settings for Xcvr.
  • Rig IC-718
  • /dev/ttyUSB0
  • Baud 9600
  • checked box 1, Echo, RTS +12v and DTR +12v
  • CI-V adr set as 0x5E
I have JS8Call settings for Radio as FLRig FLRig with PTT method as VOX, Mode set at USB and Split Operation is None.  If I send an HB in JS8Call I hear a tone; however it does not activate the PTT to actually transmit.  I am not sure if there is a setting I am missing or have incorrect.  Any help would be appreaciated.  I am using this same RPI and sound card with my FT-891 with FLRIG and have no issues.

Jeff Hesse, KI7EIX

Cliff,

Thanks for the response.  I am assuming that this is a non-issue if I had a Signalink, is that correct?

Cliff, AE5ZA

Correct. The Signalink cable will set PTT on PIn 3 in the ACC socket when you use the VOX in the SignaLink.

73,
Cliff, AE5ZA