Topics

moderated Wefax frequencies

w7hd.rh

List of WEFAX frequencies and locations for North America. Listed and (tune to) frequency.

2054(2052) – Kodiak, Alaska  [call sign NOJ]
3253(3251) – Iqaluit/Resolute Canada  [call sign VFF/VFR]
4235(4233) – Boston, MA  [call sign NMF]
4292(4290) – Inuvik, Canada  [call sign VFA]
4298(4296) – Kodiak Alaska  [call sign NOJ]
4317.9(4316) – New Orleans LA  [call sign NMG]
4346(4344) – Pt. Reyes CA  [call sign NMC]
4416(4414) – Sydney – Nova Scotia, Canada  [call sign VCO]
6340.5(6339) – Boston MA  [call sign NMF]

6915.1(6913) – Sydney – Nova Scotia, Canada  [call sign VCO]
7710(7708) – Iqaluit/Resolute Canada  [call sign VFF/VFR]
8456(8454) – Inuvik, Canada  [call sign VFA]
8459(8457) – Kodiak, Alaska  [call sign NOJ]
8503.9(8502) – New Orleans LA  [call sign NMG]
8682(8680) – Pt. Reyes CA  [call sign NMC]
9110(9108) – Boston MA [call sign NMF]
9982.5(9981) – Honolulu  [call sign KVM70]
11090(11088) – Honolulu  [call sign KVM70]

12412.5(12411) – Kodiak, Alaska  [call sign NOJ]
12750(12748) – Boston MA  [call sign NMF]
12786(12784) – Pt. Reyes CA  [call sign NMC]
12789.9(12788) – New Orleans, LA  [call sign NMG]
16135(16133) – Honolulu  [call sign KVM70]
17146.4(17145) – New Orleans, LA  [call sign NMG]
17151.2(17150) – Pt. Reyes CA  [call sign NMC]
22527(22525) – Pt. Reyes CA  [call sign NMC]
23331.5(23330) – Honolulu  [call sign KVM70]

Ron W7HD

John Athayde

Just went through setting this up and have some weird sync issues with both FLDigi 4.0.1 and 3.23.13 with two different radios (yeas 897D & Drake R8A).

I posted some examples and have been talking with USCG CAMSLANT and NOAA but we’re all kind of scratching our heads trying to debug.

I’ve only been able to copy from the Boston and NOLA station so far. Tried Kodiak yesterday but couldn’t get a good copy.

On Sep 16, 2017, at 11:48 PM, w7hd.rh <w7hd.rh@...> wrote:

List of WEFAX frequencies and locations for North America. Listed and (tune to) frequency.

[...]

David Aitcheson KB3EFS

John,

Regrettably the problem is on your end; otherwise USCG CAMSLANT and NOAA would be getting "Category 5" levels of complaints from the maritime community!

Dave W1HKJ should chime in and get some input from you. In the meantime you may want to update your software as the latest fldigi has some notable improvements in the fax code. Fldigi 4.0.9 is the latest and can be found at http://www.w1hkj.com/files/fldigi/

73
Dave
KB3EFS

On 09/20/2017 08:58 AM, John Athayde wrote:
Just went through setting this up and have some weird sync issues with both FLDigi 4.0.1 and 3.23.13 with two different radios (yeas 897D & Drake R8A).

I posted some examples and have been talking with USCG CAMSLANT and NOAA but we’re all kind of scratching our heads trying to debug.

I’ve only been able to copy from the Boston and NOLA station so far. Tried Kodiak yesterday but couldn’t get a good copy.

On Sep 16, 2017, at 11:48 PM, w7hd.rh <w7hd.rh@...> wrote:

List of WEFAX frequencies and locations for North America. Listed and (tune to) frequency.
[...]

You must be either
  • active duty Coast Guard,
  • retired Coast Guard
  • or Coast Guard Auxiliary
not too many outside of those categories would know the term USCG CAMSLANT.

I see the same sync issues and have been analyzing the fldigi code for possible cause.  Have you tried any other wefax software to see if the problem is systemic to fldigi?

73, David, W1HKJ
Cdr, USCG retired

On 09/20/2017 07:58 AM, John Athayde wrote:
Just went through setting this up and have some weird sync issues with both FLDigi 4.0.1 and 3.23.13 with two different radios (yeas 897D & Drake R8A).

I posted some examples and have been talking with USCG CAMSLANT and NOAA but we’re all kind of scratching our heads trying to debug.

I’ve only been able to copy from the Boston and NOLA station so far. Tried Kodiak yesterday but couldn’t get a good copy.

jed martin

i got the same sync shifts on a separate receiver using a different decoder (openwebrx), so it's got to be an audio latency problem on the transmitter side.  they seem to be using mswindows (i've heard the windows startup sound on 12786 when the station was idle), so it could be an audio problem with their windows config.  the sync shifts were identical on openwebrx's fax decoder and fldigi on 2 different machines.  the machine using fldigi was connected to an analog receiver (alinco dx77), and the sync hiccups occurred on both at exactly the same place in both images.

not too many outside of those categories would know the term USCG CAMSLANT.

I see the same sync issues and have been analyzing the fldigi code for possible cause.  Have you tried any other wefax software to see if the problem is systemic to fldigi?

73, David, W1HKJ
Cdr, USCG retired

On 09/20/2017 07:58 AM, John Athayde wrote:
Just went through setting this up and have some weird sync issues with both FLDigi 4.0.1 and 3.23.13 with two different radios (yeas 897D & Drake R8A).

I posted some examples and have been talking with USCG CAMSLANT and NOAA but we’re all kind of scratching our heads trying to debug.

I’ve only been able to copy from the Boston and NOLA station so far. Tried Kodiak yesterday but couldn’t get a good copy.

John Athayde

David -

Coast guard brat for 20 years ;) My dad retired LCDR out of Portsmouth (not far from CAMSLANT in Chesapeake). He had been a JAG at Yorktown and then finished up running the USCG’s connection to the RRT (Regional Resopnse Team) for Region III.

I had similar issues in BlackCat’s Multimode. Glad to know it’s not just me.

Cheers

On Sep 20, 2017, at 9:27 AM, Dave <w1hkj@...> wrote:

[...]

Thank you Jed.  I can stand down from my bug chase.

Dave

On 09/20/2017 11:41 AM, jed martin via Groups.Io wrote:
i got the same sync shifts on a separate receiver using a different decoder (openwebrx), so it's got to be an audio latency problem on the transmitter side.  they seem to be using mswindows (i've heard the windows startup sound on 12786 when the station was idle), so it could be an audio problem with their windows config.  the sync shifts were identical on openwebrx's fax decoder and fldigi on 2 different machines.  the machine using fldigi was connected to an analog receiver (alinco dx77), and the sync hiccups occurred on both at exactly the same place in both images.

Cliff

Dave,

I may have another one for you. hi hi....

I am seeing on MacOS Sierra that the Wefaxes are saved with zero file length. The file names are all there, but no data. Checked with Ron, I think it was, and they are saved fine on Linux. Any ideas for the Mac? Seems to me to be a strange problem.

73,
Cliff, AE5ZA

On Sep 20, 2017, at 12:42 PM, Dave <w1hkj@...> wrote:

Thank you Jed.  I can stand down from my bug chase.

Dave

On 09/20/2017 11:41 AM, jed martin via Groups.Io wrote:
i got the same sync shifts on a separate receiver using a different decoder (openwebrx), so it's got to be an audio latency problem on the transmitter side.  they seem to be using mswindows (i've heard the windows startup sound on 12786 when the station was idle), so it could be an audio problem with their windows config.  the sync shifts were identical on openwebrx's fax decoder and fldigi on 2 different machines.  the machine using fldigi was connected to an analog receiver (alinco dx77), and the sync hiccups occurred on both at exactly the same place in both images.

John Athayde

FWIW they were saving fine on Yosemite on a MacPro 3,1 (can’t take it to Sierra without a lot of tightrope walking).

On Sep 20, 2017, at 1:51 PM, Cliff <ae5zaham@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Cliff,

I'm adding 10.13 beta to a USB drive right now.  I'll test the wefax reception on MacOS later this afternoon or this evening.

Dave

On 09/20/2017 12:51 PM, Cliff wrote:
Dave,

I may have another one for you. hi hi....

I am seeing on MacOS Sierra that the Wefaxes are saved with zero file length. The file names are all there, but no data. Checked with Ron, I think it was, and they are saved fine on Linux. Any ideas for the Mac? Seems to me to be a strange problem.

73,
Cliff, AE5ZA

jed martin

i originally saved both images, because i was thinking about sending an email to the USCG.  the problem seemed to correct itself for a few days, but i guess now it has re-surfaced.  it was only happening on NMC at the time, but i'm noticing that it's on NMG and NMF as well, which suggests a central location is creating the audio files being transmitted, or all three locations are having the same problem.

Thank you Jed.  I can stand down from my bug chase.

Dave

On 09/20/2017 11:41 AM, jed martin via Groups.Io wrote:
i got the same sync shifts on a separate receiver using a different decoder (openwebrx), so it's got to be an audio latency problem on the transmitter side.  they seem to be using mswindows (i've heard the windows startup sound on 12786 when the station was idle), so it could be an audio problem with their windows config.  the sync shifts were identical on openwebrx's fax decoder and fldigi on 2 different machines.  the machine using fldigi was connected to an analog receiver (alinco dx77), and the sync hiccups occurred on both at exactly the same place in both images.

Dave

I copied Boston this afternoon.  The satellite visible cloud image never exhibited any time sync problems.  The wx analysis charts did.  The loss of sync seems to be random.  At least one reception ran for over 15 minutes with no issues and then had several glitches within about 200 lines.

David

On 09/20/2017 05:21 PM, jed martin via Groups.Io wrote:
i originally saved both images, because i was thinking about sending an email to the USCG.  the problem seemed to correct itself for a few days, but i guess now it has re-surfaced.  it was only happening on NMC at the time, but i'm noticing that it's on NMG and NMF as well, which suggests a central location is creating the audio files being transmitted, or all three locations are having the same problem.

Edouard Lafargue

  For what it's worth, I have observed that loss of sync often happens on low power machines, during high CPU loads...

  Try running a demanding process that pushes your CPU to 100% with a lot of IO to see whether that triggers the issue ?

Ed

On Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 4:31 PM, Dave <w1hkj@...> wrote:
I copied Boston this afternoon.  The satellite visible cloud image never exhibited any time sync problems.  The wx analysis charts did.  The loss of sync seems to be random.  At least one reception ran for over 15 minutes with no issues and then had several glitches within about 200 lines.

David

On 09/20/2017 05:21 PM, jed martin via Groups.Io wrote:
i originally saved both images, because i was thinking about sending an email to the USCG.  the problem seemed to correct itself for a few days, but i guess now it has re-surfaced.  it was only happening on NMC at the time, but i'm noticing that it's on NMG and NMF as well, which suggests a central location is creating the audio files being transmitted, or all three locations are having the same problem.

Dave

Jed,

Posted two images here that might be of use to you.  Copied this afternoon from NMF on 12750 KHz.

http://www.w1hkj.com/wefax/

Dave

On 09/20/2017 05:21 PM, jed martin via Groups.Io wrote:
i originally saved both images, because i was thinking about sending an email to the USCG.  the problem seemed to correct itself for a few days, but i guess now it has re-surfaced.  it was only happening on NMC at the time, but i'm noticing that it's on NMG and NMF as well, which suggests a central location is creating the audio files being transmitted, or all three locations are having the same problem.

John Athayde

While this is an older machine, it’s also an 8-core with 32G of RAM. It will run ProTools sessions that my late 2013 MacBookPro chokes on. There very well could be some system-side issue, but as I was copying the same errors with multiple programs simultaneously and on different radios and sound cards (built in vs Signalink), it seemed to be an issue between my antenna and NOAA’s origin systems.

I had this running with only a web browser also open. I’ll try to max out the machine with a cryptocurrency miner or something and see if it changes.

Otherwise, is there any QRM that you all could think of that might be causing this kind of thing?

On Sep 20, 2017, at 7:35 PM, Edouard Lafargue <edouard@...> wrote:

[...]

i will try to get another pair of images today and see if 2 different decoders still get the same errors

[...]

so heres pix of the kiwisdr (similar to openwebrx) fax decoder vs the fldigi decoder (i hope this works so everybody can see this).  the filename beginning with "nmc" is the kiwisdr decoder output, the other one is from fldigi.  the kiwisdr receiver is located in san fransisco, the receiver used with fldigi is an analog receiver connected to my other linux box.  since the sync glitch happens at exactly the same place in both pix, the problem is not with fldigi's decoder, but audio latency in NMC's windows box. whether it's happening in the encoding process or playback at the transmitter site is anybody's guess.