moderated Simple Question : Is it 'always' safe , once 'sudo make install' has been completed , to delete all of the files in the /Downloads folder? #fldigi #flrig #pi3

Al K7AOZ

Hey all , good day. Not a noob , but no one actually addresses this question : When is it ok to delete all of the files that went into compiling an application e.g. fldigi , flrig .  In the specific case of fldigi , the executable did not get moved to anywhere in specific , so I cp'd it to /usr/local/bin , but now I have  all these extra files - is it generally ok to delete and clear out the /Downloads folder after a successful compile? TIA
Al
K7AOZ

Cliff, AE5ZA

Al,

Once you have compiled one of the flsuite apps then the source files are of no use unless you want to keep them to do another compile or want to do a “sudo make uninstall". When you do a “sudo make install” that should put the executable in /usr/local/bin without the need to copy it there.  There are no references back to the original files so delete at will unless you want to be able to uninstall it. Of course you can just delete the executable as well to uninstall fldigi etc. Apps other than the flsuite may do things differently so I can’t say about them.

73,
Cliff, AE5ZA

On Nov 11, 2019, at 20:12, Al Szymanski, K7AOZ via Groups.Io <aszy@...> wrote:

Hey all , good day. Not a noob , but no one actually addresses this question : When is it ok to delete all of the files that went into compiling an application e.g. fldigi , flrig .  In the specific case of fldigi , the executable did not get moved to anywhere in specific , so I cp'd it to /usr/local/bin , but now I have  all these extra files - is it generally ok to delete and clear out the /Downloads folder after a successful compile? TIA
Al
K7AOZ

David, K9DWR

* Al Szymanski, K7AOZ via Groups.Io <aszy@...> [2019-11-11 18:12]:
Hey all , good day. Not a noob , but no one actually addresses this question
: When is it ok to delete all of the files that went into compiling an
application e.g. fldigi , flrig .  In the specific case of fldigi , the
executable did not get moved to anywhere in specific , so I cp'd it to
/usr/local/bin , but now I have  all these extra files - is it generally ok
to delete and clear out the /Downloads folder after a successful compile? TIA
Al
"always" is a dangerous word when talking about computers. The fact you
did a sudo make install and fldigi did NOT end up in /usr/local/bin
concerns me a bit. That should have worked as expected.

In general, the process you should follow when building from source is:
configure
make
sudo make install

You do your source compile as a non-root user because it's safer. You
then use sudo make install because you usually need root permissions to
put things in locations like /usr/local/bin.

In the _general_ case, if an application's source is well-behaved, once
you use the "install" make target (ie, sudo make install), everything
should be in its proper place (eg, /usr/local/bin) and you should be
reasonably safe to remove things from the Downloads directory. Based on
your description, I'm not sure things went as expected, though and I'd
double-check you actually used sudo to make install.

On the plus side, removing from Downloads isn't going to hurt anything.
The worst that might happen if things were not installed properly is
you'd have to download and build it again.

--
David, K9DWR
k9dwr@...

Ed W3NR

What distro ? If you built correctly the executable would be placed in /usr/local/bin.

Ed W3NR

Al K7AOZ

Thank you all for your responses. This was on a new Buster distro and all but the fldigi were copied correctly. I am certain that I used sudo to do the 'sudo make install' as that's almost habit.
Al
K7AOZ

David, K9DWR

* Al Szymanski, K7AOZ via Groups.Io <aszy@...> [2019-11-11 20:42]:
Thank you all for your responses. This was on a new Buster distro and all but
the fldigi were copied correctly. I am certain that I used sudo to do the
'sudo make install' as that's almost habit. Al
Based on your tags, I assume buster on rasbian on a Pi3?

Was it a fresh install, or a dist-upgrade from stretch?

--
David, K9DWR
k9dwr@...

Al K7AOZ

David , fresh SD card , latest Buster , on a 3 B+ .
Al
K7AOZ