moderated RigPI Station Server for Remote Transceiver Solution #pi3

Larry AC9OX

Hi Folks,

Released recently at Dayton, RigPI is a new RPI B 3+ based device which allows remote control of a transceiver on a local network or to act as an web-based server for physically remote control via the Internet.   While similar to a completely software-based solution (e.g., Hamlib), the device can be purchased to include a custom Audio and/or Keyer board.

I purchased one, the week that it was introduced, for use with my IC-7300 and am very satisfied with the ease of operation.  The RPI OS also has several standard Ham applications installed (fldigi, WSJT-X, etc.).

I found all of the normal functions of the OS to be available on the RPI, so it can function as a computer within the shack at the same time that the server application is running.

Larry
AC9OX

Harry Bloomberg, W3YJ

I just cobbled together a Raspterry Pi remote system.  How "plug and play" is the setup and configuration?  Can it deal with antenna rotors and remote antenna switches?  Have you had to deal with MFJ tech support?

Just curious.  What I came up with works if you know something about Linux administration, but I don't know how well it would work for everybody else.

73,
Harry Bloomberg W3YJ

On Mon, Jul 29, 2019 at 2:50 PM Larry McElhiney, AC9OX via Groups.Io <lmcelhiney=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Hi Harry,

For my IC-7300 (CI-V) it was painless.  Virtually all GUI configuration.  You can use external USB-controlled switches and relays, as well as standard GPIO run by Python, for example.  (Also remote "deadman" power switch)

MFJ seems to be supporting it very well and the designer and several hams are supporting other transceiver configurations.  They also have uploaded a set of instructions for alternate (i.e., build your own) users (like you).

There has been an open-membership groups.io group for a couple of months.

73,

Larry
AC9OX

Harry Bloomberg, W3YJ

Thank you!  This will be a great solution for a lot of hams, and the price is reasonable.  But of course building my own was a lot of fun and although I spent a lot  of time, the only cost to me was the $35 for the Pi.  But it's a hobby so I consider the time well used.

73,
Harry W3YJ