moderated FLDIGI refuses to function #fldigi #pi3


Byron Morgan, WE4SEL <byron.we4sel@...>
 

Running on rpi3b+, everything is current version (4.0.18). had similar problem after months of use with the 3.23 ver that is on the rpi app list, so i went through the build process to update. worked fine for a week or so. Now on starting fldigi, the hourglass shows, and it appears to be starting up, but nothing of the program ever displays, and after about 30 seconds the hourglass goes away, and all traces are gone from tasks (top). I'm fairly new to linux, so I'll be glad to provide further information but i don't know what's  needed or what commands to retrieve the info.  Would really like to be able to get it running again.   flrig still runs fine. don't want to give up on the rpi to go back to windows for digital modes. 

thanks for help. 


Ed W3NR
 

On 1/12/19 11:16 AM, Byron Morgan, WE4SEL wrote:
Running on rpi3b+, everything is current version (4.0.18). had similar problem after months of use with the 3.23 ver that is on the rpi app list, so i went through the build process to update. worked fine for a week or so. Now on starting fldigi, the hourglass shows, and it appears to be starting up, but nothing of the program ever displays, and after about 30 seconds the hourglass goes away, and all traces are gone from tasks (top). I'm fairly new to linux, so I'll be glad to provide further information but i don't know what's  needed or what commands to retrieve the info.  Would really like to be able to get it running again.   flrig still runs fine. don't want to give up on the rpi to go back to windows for digital modes. 

thanks for help. 
_._,_._,_

Start fldigi from a terminal and post the results here.

Ed


Byron Morgan, WE4SEL <byron.we4sel@...>
 

Here is everything from terminal window. It looks like it was expecting something else after stack trace, but after about 10 min nothing else showed up. 

pi@PiRad:~ $ fldigi
I: main: appname: fldigi
I: main: HomeDir: /home/pi/.fldigi/
I: main: RigsDir: /home/pi/.fldigi/rigs/
I: main: ScriptsDir: /home/pi/.fldigi/scripts/
I: main: PalettesDir: /home/pi/.fldigi/palettes/
I: main: LogsDir: /home/pi/.fldigi/logs/
I: main: PicsDir: /home/pi/.fldigi/images/
I: main: HelpDir: /home/pi/.fldigi/help/
I: main: MacrosDir: /home/pi/.fldigi/macros/
I: main: WrapDir: /home/pi/.fldigi/wrap/
I: main: TalkDir: /home/pi/.fldigi/talk/
I: main: TempDir: /home/pi/.fldigi/temp/
I: main: LoTWDir: /home/pi/.fldigi/LOTW/
I: main: KmlDir: /home/pi/.fldigi/kml/
I: main: PskMailDir: /home/pi/
I: main: DATA_dir: /home/pi/.fldigi/data/
I: main: NBEMS_dir: /home/pi/.nbems/
I: main: ARQ_dir: /home/pi/.nbems/ARQ/
I: main: ARQ_files_dir: /home/pi/.nbems/ARQ/files/
I: main: ARQ_recv_dir: /home/pi/.nbems/ARQ/recv/
I: main: ARQ_send: /home/pi/.nbems/ARQ/send/
I: main: WRAP_dir: /home/pi/.nbems/WRAP/
I: main: WRAP_recv_dir: /home/pi/.nbems/WRAP/recv/
I: main: WRAP_send_dir: /home/pi/.nbems/WRAP/send/
I: main: WRAP_auto_dir: /home/pi/.nbems/WRAP/auto/
I: main: ICS_dir: /home/pi/.nbems/ICS/
I: main: ICS_msg_dir: /home/pi/.nbems/ICS/messages/
I: main: ICS_tmp_dir: /home/pi/.nbems/ICS/templates/
I: main: FLMSG_dir: /home/pi/.nbems/
I: main: FLMSG_dir_default: /home/pi/.nbems/
I: main: FLMSG_WRAP_dir: /home/pi/.nbems/WRAP/
I: main: FLMSG_WRAP_recv_dir: /home/pi/.nbems/WRAP/recv/
I: main: FLMSG_WRAP_send_dir: /home/pi/.nbems/WRAP/send/
I: main: FLMSG_WRAP_auto_dir: /home/pi/.nbems/WRAP/auto/
I: main: FLMSG_ICS_dir: /home/pi/.nbems/ICS/
I: main: FLMSG_ICS_msg_dir: /home/pi/.nbems/ICS/messages/
I: main: FLMSG_ICS_tmp_dir: /home/pi/.nbems/ICS/templates/
fldigi: malloc.c:2406: sysmalloc: Assertion `(old_top == initial_top (av) && old_size == 0) || ((unsigned long) (old_size) >= MINSIZE && prev_inuse (old_top) && ((unsigned long) old_end & (pagesize - 1)) == 0)' failed.
 
Caught signal 6
Aborting fldigi due to a fatal error.
Please report this to:   fldigi-devel@...
or file a bug report at: https://fedorahosted.org/fldigi/newticket
 
****** Stack trace:
looks similar to the error from previous version, but i don't have an exact output from that, i do remember the fatal error and instructions at end, which led me to the updated version install. 


Ed W3NR
 

On 1/12/19 11:40 AM, Byron Morgan, WE4SEL wrote:
Here is everything from terminal window. It looks like it was expecting something else after stack trace, but after about 10 min nothing else showed up. 

pi@PiRad:~ $ fldigi
I: main: appname: fldigi
I: main: HomeDir: /home/pi/.fldigi/
I: main: RigsDir: /home/pi/.fldigi/rigs/
I: main: ScriptsDir: /home/pi/.fldigi/scripts/
I: main: PalettesDir: /home/pi/.fldigi/palettes/
I: main: LogsDir: /home/pi/.fldigi/logs/
I: main: PicsDir: /home/pi/.fldigi/images/
I: main: HelpDir: /home/pi/.fldigi/help/
I: main: MacrosDir: /home/pi/.fldigi/macros/
I: main: WrapDir: /home/pi/.fldigi/wrap/
I: main: TalkDir: /home/pi/.fldigi/talk/
I: main: TempDir: /home/pi/.fldigi/temp/
I: main: LoTWDir: /home/pi/.fldigi/LOTW/
I: main: KmlDir: /home/pi/.fldigi/kml/
I: main: PskMailDir: /home/pi/
I: main: DATA_dir: /home/pi/.fldigi/data/
I: main: NBEMS_dir: /home/pi/.nbems/
I: main: ARQ_dir: /home/pi/.nbems/ARQ/
I: main: ARQ_files_dir: /home/pi/.nbems/ARQ/files/
I: main: ARQ_recv_dir: /home/pi/.nbems/ARQ/recv/
I: main: ARQ_send: /home/pi/.nbems/ARQ/send/
I: main: WRAP_dir: /home/pi/.nbems/WRAP/
I: main: WRAP_recv_dir: /home/pi/.nbems/WRAP/recv/
I: main: WRAP_send_dir: /home/pi/.nbems/WRAP/send/
I: main: WRAP_auto_dir: /home/pi/.nbems/WRAP/auto/
I: main: ICS_dir: /home/pi/.nbems/ICS/
I: main: ICS_msg_dir: /home/pi/.nbems/ICS/messages/
I: main: ICS_tmp_dir: /home/pi/.nbems/ICS/templates/
I: main: FLMSG_dir: /home/pi/.nbems/
I: main: FLMSG_dir_default: /home/pi/.nbems/
I: main: FLMSG_WRAP_dir: /home/pi/.nbems/WRAP/
I: main: FLMSG_WRAP_recv_dir: /home/pi/.nbems/WRAP/recv/
I: main: FLMSG_WRAP_send_dir: /home/pi/.nbems/WRAP/send/
I: main: FLMSG_WRAP_auto_dir: /home/pi/.nbems/WRAP/auto/
I: main: FLMSG_ICS_dir: /home/pi/.nbems/ICS/
I: main: FLMSG_ICS_msg_dir: /home/pi/.nbems/ICS/messages/
I: main: FLMSG_ICS_tmp_dir: /home/pi/.nbems/ICS/templates/
fldigi: malloc.c:2406: sysmalloc: Assertion `(old_top == initial_top (av) && old_size == 0) || ((unsigned long) (old_size) >= MINSIZE && prev_inuse (old_top) && ((unsigned long) old_end & (pagesize - 1)) == 0)' failed.
 
Caught signal 6
Aborting fldigi due to a fatal error.
Please report this to:   fldigi-devel@...
 
****** Stack trace:
looks similar to the error from previous version, but i don't have an exact output from that, i do remember the fatal error and instructions at end, which led me to the updated version install. 
_._,_._,_

Go to the /.fldigi directory and you should find the stacktrace.txt if it's there you will need to send that to Dave W1HKJ.

Ed W3NR


Byron Morgan, WE4SEL <byron.we4sel@...>
 

Found a stacktrace but it's for the 3.23 version, i dont' see one for the current version. hm. wonder if somehow it's found the old version and trying to run it again. o.0 


Ed W3NR
 

On 1/12/19 12:13 PM, Byron Morgan, WE4SEL wrote:
Found a stacktrace but it's for the 3.23 version, i dont' see one for the current version. hm. wonder if somehow it's found the old version and trying to run it again. o.0 

Did you remove the 3.23 version and if so how.

Ed W3NR


Byron Morgan, WE4SEL <byron.we4sel@...>
 

i did, and through the add/remove software thing on raspbian. 
the stacktrace is dated from a day or two before i did the manual build for the 
new version. 


Ed W3NR
 

On 1/12/19 12:31 PM, Byron Morgan, WE4SEL wrote:
i did, and through the add/remove software thing on raspbian. 
the stacktrace is dated from a day or two before i did the manual build for the 
new version. 
_._,_._,_

In a  terminal

whereis fldigi

if it says /usr/bin you will need to delete it as root (sudo). If it says /usr/local/bin that would be the version you built. If your stuck just post back here.

Ed W3NR


Byron Morgan, WE4SEL <byron.we4sel@...>
 

pi@PiRad:~ $ whereis fldigi
fldigi: /usr/local/bin/fldigi /usr/share/fldigi
pi@PiRad:~ $ 
 
so, it looks like it aught to be the updated version. i just don't understand linux well enough to know which way to start eating this elephant.


Larry Levesque, KA1VGM
 

fldigi --version

On Sat, Jan 12, 2019 at 11:52:20AM -0800, Byron Morgan, WE4SEL wrote:
pi@PiRad:~ $ whereis fldigi
fldigi: /usr/local/bin/fldigi /usr/share/fldigi
pi@PiRad:~ $ 
 
so, it looks like it aught to be the updated version. i just don't understand linux well enough to know which way to start eating this elephant.


--
Larry Levesque
KA1VGM


Ed W3NR
 

On 1/12/19 2:52 PM, Byron Morgan, WE4SEL wrote:
pi@PiRad:~ $ whereis fldigi
fldigi: /usr/local/bin/fldigi /usr/share/fldigi
pi@PiRad:~ $ 
 
so, it looks like it aught to be the updated version. i just don't understand linux well enough to know which way to start eating this elephant.

_._,_._,_

Open your file manager. /fldigi/src scroll down until you get to the fldigi executable and start it from there. Let's see what you get.

Ed W3NR


w7hd.rh <w7hd.rh@...>
 

The reason you're getting the wrong version is the one residing in /usr/share/fldigi - which needs to be deleted.
By the way, you need to use " which fldigi " to get the correct answer as to which one it's using.

Ron W7HD

On 1/12/19 12:52 PM, Byron Morgan, WE4SEL wrote:
pi@PiRad:~ $ whereis fldigi
fldigi: /usr/local/bin/fldigi /usr/share/fldigi
pi@PiRad:~ $ 
 
so, it looks like it aught to be the updated version. i just don't understand linux well enough to know which way to start eating this elephant.


-- 
Ron W7HD - NAQCC#7587 OMISS#9898 KX3#6966 LinuxUser#415320
Editor OVARC newsletter


Byron Morgan, WE4SEL <byron.we4sel@...>
 

pi@PiRad:~ $ fldigi --version
fldigi 4.0.18
Copyright (C) 2007-2010 Dave Freese, Stelios Bounanos, and others.
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-3.0.html>
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
pi@PiRad:~ $ 
 


Byron Morgan, WE4SEL <byron.we4sel@...>
 

pi@PiRad:~ $ which fldigi
/usr/local/bin/fldigi
pi@PiRad:~ $ 



Byron Morgan, WE4SEL <byron.we4sel@...>
 

not sure what i'm doing wrong, but not finding a folder /fldigi/src  or /.fldigi/src 


On Sat, Jan 12, 2019 at 12:11 PM, Ed W3NR wrote:
On 1/12/19 2:52 PM, Byron Morgan, WE4SEL wrote:
pi@PiRad:~ $ whereis fldigi
fldigi: /usr/local/bin/fldigi /usr/share/fldigi
pi@PiRad:~ $ 
 
so, it looks like it aught to be the updated version. i just don't understand linux well enough to know which way to start eating this elephant.

_._,_._,_

Open your file manager. /fldigi/src scroll down until you get to the fldigi executable and start it from there. Let's see what you get.

Ed W3NR


Ed W3NR
 

On 1/12/19 3:59 PM, Byron Morgan, WE4SEL wrote:
not sure what i'm doing wrong, but not finding a folder /fldigi/src  or /.fldigi/src 


/fldigi-4.0.18

That's what you should be seeing.

Ed W3NR



w7hd.rh <w7hd.rh@...>
 

Try this:   ls /home/USERNAME/.fldigi/src
Where you replace USERNAME with your login name.
-OR-
cd ~/.fldigi/src
ls -l
Be sure to type exactly as shown!  To be sure, copy and paste.

Ron W7HD

On 1/12/19 1:59 PM, Byron Morgan, WE4SEL wrote:
not sure what i'm doing wrong, but not finding a folder /fldigi/src  or /.fldigi/src 
--
Ron W7HD - NAQCC#7587 OMISS#9898 KX3#6966 LinuxUser#415320
Editor OVARC newsletter


Byron Morgan, WE4SEL <byron.we4sel@...>
 

pi@PiRad:~/.fldigi/src $ ls -l
total 0
pi@PiRad:~/.fldigi/src $ 

and i am severely confused now :D but that's where we learn things from. i think i kinda understand what we're trying to do but something is missing. 


On Sat, Jan 12, 2019 at 01:32 PM, w7hd.rh wrote:
Try this:   ls /home/USERNAME/.fldigi/src
Where you replace USERNAME with your login name.
-OR-
cd ~/.fldigi/src
ls -l
Be sure to type exactly as shown!  To be sure, copy and paste.

Ron W7HD

On 1/12/19 1:59 PM, Byron Morgan, WE4SEL wrote:
not sure what i'm doing wrong, but not finding a folder /fldigi/src  or /.fldigi/src 
--
Ron W7HD - NAQCC#7587 OMISS#9898 KX3#6966 LinuxUser#415320
Editor OVARC newsletter


Cliff, AE5ZA
 

Byron,

I’m just popping in and back out of this thread, but wanted to try to remove some your confusion. 

I’m not sure why Ron is looking in .fldigi, but normally there is no /src directory in /.fldigi. .fldigi is where fldigi puts it’s config files, logs, and a bunch of other things used in running fldigi, but the source directory that you get after compilation would not be there unless you uncompressed the original file in that location before you built fldigi.

You need to remember where you uncompressed the original file you downloaded and then in that directory after compilation you will find the fldigi-4.0.18 directory that Ed is trying to help you find. If you uncompressed the file in the Home directory then what Ed has said will be were you will find it. The /src directory will be in the fldigi-4.0.18 directory. I hope this clears up the confusion.

I’ll leave it to Ed etc. to help you solve the original problem. I’m not a linux Guru like Ed and Ron are. I just know what works on my Pi system.

BTW, fldigi-4.0.18 works FB in my Raspberry Pi3.

73,
Cliff, AE5ZA

On Jan 12, 2019, at 15:45, Byron Morgan, WE4SEL <byron.we4sel@...> wrote:

pi@PiRad:~/.fldigi/src $ ls -l
total 0
pi@PiRad:~/.fldigi/src $ 

and i am severely confused now :D but that's where we learn things from. i think i kinda understand what we're trying to do but something is missing. 


On Sat, Jan 12, 2019 at 01:32 PM, w7hd.rh wrote:
Try this:   ls /home/USERNAME/.fldigi/src
Where you replace USERNAME with your login name.
-OR-
cd ~/.fldigi/src
ls -l
Be sure to type exactly as shown!  To be sure, copy and paste.

Ron W7HD

On 1/12/19 1:59 PM, Byron Morgan, WE4SEL wrote:
not sure what i'm doing wrong, but not finding a folder /fldigi/src  or /.fldigi/src 
--
Ron W7HD - NAQCC#7587 OMISS#9898 KX3#6966 LinuxUser#415320
Editor OVARC newsletter


Ed W3NR
 

On 1/12/19 4:32 PM, w7hd.rh wrote:
Try this:   ls /home/USERNAME/.fldigi/src
Where you replace USERNAME with your login name.
-OR-
cd ~/.fldigi/src
ls -l
Be sure to type exactly as shown!  To be sure, copy and paste.

Ron W7HD

The src is in /fldigi not ./fldigi

Ed