moderated Re: fldigi and rigCAT on Raspberry Pi

Marty Hartwell, KD8BJ

Good Morning Raul

I will respond as you and David have been and include these
comments within the text below. Good day to you too David.

On 08/19/2018 12:13 PM, Raul M0ZZM wrote:
On Sat, Aug 18, 2018 at 11:30 PM, Marty Hartwell wrote:
Ok I am going to jump in briefly. If you are using fldigi then the
rig.xml file is to be put in the hidden folder .fldigi/rigs.
Correct. I have done this and it works well.
On the Raspberry PI you maybe should create a user and put that id
in the dialout group. The pi user will work but it has root control
I believe.
I do have another user available and would be happy to transfer the use of fldigi/flrig to that user. Does this mean that if I add the other user to the dialout group I'll then find the fldigi configuration in the new user profile?
Yes, when that new user has logged in under that environment the build
will be done under that file structure with that users ID and permissions. With this new user ID and following the build instructions
for the PI from the wiki on the web site:

http://www.w1hkj.com/doku/doku.php?id=howto:main

under the "Building from source header, the first one for
"Building on Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, and Pi3"
I have used these instructions for many builds, they are very complete.
They work for all of the Fl-suite of applications.

I believe David as said that starting with Flrig first and getting it
to connect with you rig and functioning fully before moving on to
Fldigi.

I have tried on my Pi2 B+ to use the pi user and found that I had some
issues I was able to get around them, but found it easier to leave the
pi user as the Root id and to create my own id, such as my initials
or my name, to log in the create my build environment.

There are instructions as a wiki on Dave's web site for building on
Debian and Raspberry PI that gives the how to very well. I can't
remember if you said you had those or not.
I am going through one bit at a time. The problem is that I probably need to read from the beginning to the end, which I haven't done so far as I was trying to patch the system on the fly.
Thanks for the comments.
Raul M0ZZM
Like David I believe you need a better more capacity power supply to power your Pi 3 +, I also have bought and use with mine a powered USB
4 port hub to use with mine to relieve the stress on the Pi's power
supply. My supply is a 5v at 2.1 amp, but if I use the four ports on
the Pi for things requiring power I thought it wise to relieve some
of the stress by putting my sound USB card in the powered USB unit
and use the on board USB ports for Keyboard and Mouse.

I hope this gives some more information, and is a help.

I will now leave you in the capable hands of David he has helped me
in the past getting started with my Pi2B+.

Good Day.

Marty kd8bj

Join linuxham@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.