moderated Re: fldigi and rigCAT on Raspberry Pi

David Ranch, KI6ZHD

Hello Raul,

I tried both options, i.e. I tried using rigCAT with the file in the wrong place which caused fldigi and flrig to lose configuration,

I don't know how to put it any other way to make you understand... RigCAT support in the Fldigi program and Flrig are COMPETITORS for rig control.  I personally recommend to use Flrig.  If you agree to that approach, STOP trying to use the RigCAT support in Fldigi.

I tired to put the xml file in the right place, which makes fldigi work as intended but flrig not to sync with the radio;

See above.  You cannot have two competitors trying to control the same radio

This is what I have done now. Open fldigi, set it to use flrig, saved, closed. Open flrig, set all the transceiver variables as required, i.e. Rig IC-7100, port as the correct one as instructed by you and Ed, 19.2k baud (which works fine) all the rest as default i.e. RTS/DTR 12V and PPT via CAT - could it be this last bit via CAT that upsets the system? Or can it just be a silly thing such as having to press "save" somewhere?

There is no such thing as "save" in Flrig as it saves everything once you exit the program.  If it's not saving your config, I bet you have a file permissions issue.  Try running the command:

   ls -la $HOME/.flrig

On my system, this is what I see (your results will be different as I've modified my Flrig setup) but the important thing is the ownership details:
--
total 40
drwxrwxr-x    4 dranch dranch  4096 Apr 15 12:56 .

The whole Pi. I now have replaced the PSU with something else and a better cable, I doubt it can supply 2A, it probably can push 1.4A, I will measure it sometimes over the next few days. However I had no more crashes since, even when I open very challenging web pages (for the Pi and the slow network it can use in the shack) such as pskreporter.info.

1.4A will *not* be enough to run a Raspberry Pi 3B+.  The Raspberry Pi documentation is very clear about this and you should count on getting more crashes.  Please note that crashes on the Raspberry Pi can corrupt the SD card.  At that point, the OS might become broken and not boot/function properly.  You'll then need to start over.

Ultimately, I see that Linux works quite well with these applications. I am now thinking of installing it on the old laptop, it looks less resource-hungry than Windows 10 and this element well "rejuvenate" my old machine.

Absolutely!  Different Linux distros have different resource requirements but depending on the old laptop resources (CPU, RAM, video card, disk), I'm sure you'll find something to your liking.

--David
KI6ZHD

Join linuxham@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.