Topics

Verizon Wireless vs. T-Mobile

Fred Dodd

Curious about others' experiences with T-Mobile (post merger with Sprint). We've been happy Verizon Wireless customers but my son-in-law suggests we join them on a T-mobile promotion plan with lower rates and good discounts for new phones. I'm wondering about T-Mobile's real coverage (not just what the coverage map says) in Lexington and nearby. Also about T-Mobile's customer service.
--
Fred Dodd

Shailesh Prajapati

We had trouble with coverage in and around lexington with T-Mobile but this was before th merger. I am interested in hearing about experiences post merger.

On Oct 19, 2020, at 9:36 PM, Fred Dodd <fpdmail@...> wrote:

Curious about others' experiences with T-Mobile (post merger with Sprint). We've been happy Verizon Wireless customers but my son-in-law suggests we join them on a T-mobile promotion plan with lower rates and good discounts for new phones. I'm wondering about T-Mobile's real coverage (not just what the coverage map says) in Lexington and nearby. Also about T-Mobile's customer service.
--
Fred Dodd

Henry Stevenson

Fred,

We were going to Europe and found out that T-Mobile was the one to go with over there.  So we converted 
our Verizon Phones to T-Mobile.    Disaster was putting mildly.   Once we got to Europe we could not get
any cell coverage only Hotel Wireless.   I called T-Mobile numerous times and every time I got a different
solution and none worked.  Once we returned to Lexington we found there was no coverage and we could not
text.   Again, call after call to no avail.   

I blame it on the fact we were using Verizon phones poorly configured to T-Mobile.  Maybe if we had had T-Mobile
phones we would have had a better experience.    Drive up and down 128 I got no coverage.

Maybe that's changed.

Good Luck,

Henry

To: lexington@groups.io
Sent: Monday, October 19, 2020 9:36:46 PM
Subject: [lexington] Verizon Wireless vs. T-Mobile

--
Fred Dodd

Gauri Rahul Nair

Hello,

We changed to T Mobile last year before we went to the UK because we got sick of Verizon's expensive international plan options, and the T-Mobile coverage was excellent. Also in India actually (and on CDG airport en route). We had Verizon phones (all iphones) and did not have issues. I am very pleased with T-mobile. We have not had any issues with coverage in Lexington either or MA in general.

Best,

Gauri

On Mon, Oct 19, 2020 at 10:26 PM Henry Stevenson <henry25@...> wrote:
Fred,

We were going to Europe and found out that T-Mobile was the one to go with over there.  So we converted 
our Verizon Phones to T-Mobile.    Disaster was putting mildly.   Once we got to Europe we could not get
any cell coverage only Hotel Wireless.   I called T-Mobile numerous times and every time I got a different
solution and none worked.  Once we returned to Lexington we found there was no coverage and we could not

I blame it on the fact we were using Verizon phones poorly configured to T-Mobile.  Maybe if we had had T-Mobile
phones we would have had a better experience.    Drive up and down 128 I got no coverage.

Maybe that's changed.

Good Luck,

Henry

--
Fred Dodd

George Gamota

Fred

FWIW I had AT&T and then switched to T-Mobile maybe 6-8 years ago. Initially I had trouble at my house but T-Mobile service fixed it and I have had it since. T-Mobile has excellent coverage as used to travel, NY, NH, and CA as well as France, Germany and Ukraine with partners.

Service is very good, talking to humans you can understand. T-Mobile service center at Burlington mall has also  good competent help.

George

From: lexington@groups.io <lexington@groups.io> On Behalf Of Fred Dodd
Sent: Monday, October 19, 2020 9:37 PM

--
Fred Dodd

Dinesh Patel

Thank you George
I have Att - I phone does not work well in home
T mobile seems to be answer 
Hooefulky cost is less and have good family plan and international phone calls 
best
Dinesh Patel
Precinct 6 tm

On Oct 19, 2020, at 10:53 PM, George Gamota <ggamota@...> wrote:

Fred

FWIW I had AT&T and then switched to T-Mobile maybe 6-8 years ago. Initially I had trouble at my house but T-Mobile service fixed it and I have had it since. T-Mobile has excellent coverage as used to travel, NY, NH, and CA as well as France, Germany and Ukraine with partners.

Service is very good, talking to humans you can understand. T-Mobile service center at Burlington mall has also  good competent help.

George

From: lexington@groups.io <lexington@groups.io> On Behalf Of Fred Dodd
Sent: Monday, October 19, 2020 9:37 PM

--
Fred Dodd

Alice Meade

We have been in Paris for over a year now.  Been T-mobile customers for 20 years. We have great service in Paris! 

Alice

On 19 Oct 2020, at 22:25, Henry Stevenson <henry25@...> wrote:

Fred,

Maybe that's changed.

Good Luck,

Henry

--
Fred Dodd

Glenn Parker

On 19 Oct 2020, at 21:36, Fred Dodd wrote:

Another option (that incorporates T-Mobile’s network) is Google Fi. We switched from Verizon Wireless and we’ve been satisfied with the coverage and the pricing, especially back when international travel was an option. Works with most phones (including iPhones), and especially nicely with Google Pixels (software SIM). Verizon Wireless customer service is easily the worst I have ever experienced, so there’s nowhere to go but up in that department.

Glenn P. Parker
glenn.parker@...

Robin Kutner

I have had T-mobiel for many years. At first service wasn’t that good at home but I got a booster and now it works much better. Customer service is excellent and true about traveling overseas,

On Oct 19, 2020, at 10:38 PM, Gauri Rahul Nair <gauri.nair@...> wrote:

Hello,

We changed to T Mobile last year before we went to the UK because we got sick of Verizon's expensive international plan options, and the T-Mobile coverage was excellent. Also in India actually (and on CDG airport en route). We had Verizon phones (all iphones) and did not have issues. I am very pleased with T-mobile. We have not had any issues with coverage in Lexington either or MA in general.

Best,

Gauri

On Mon, Oct 19, 2020 at 10:26 PM Henry Stevenson <henry25@...> wrote:
Fred,

Maybe that's changed.

Good Luck,

Henry

To: lexington@groups.io
Sent: Monday, October 19, 2020 9:36:46 PM
Subject: [lexington] Verizon Wireless vs. T-Mobile

-- 
Fred Dodd

Shashank Nene

Verizon used to be very good in comparison with most others. That is no longer true. We have been with Verizon for Fios and Mobile for several years. We have now switched. Verizon's service has degraded to a disgraceful level. They do not respond to customer service calls in any reasonable time frame (waits on hold have been up to 2.5 hours for tech support). I went to the Verizon store on Lexington Street in Waltham (near Panera), they told me that if you want them to respond, you need to say you want to cancel service - then you will get a response in about 10 minutes. They demonstrated by calling and asking for tech support (was on hold the entire duration of the visit) and in parallel they called and said we want to cancel service (call was answered in 4 minutes).  When I asked for tech support they said that their ONT box (and also the set top box and router/modem) at my house was very old and needed to be replaced - they were malfunctioning. That needed a visit by a technician (at least for the ONT). The charge was $149.99 to replace a box of theirs that was malfunctioning. At that point I gave up and switched to another provider. Verizon is disconnected but they refused to accepted the disconnected equipment - until the tech support visited to try and fix the issues. I told them I was not interested. Eventually a Verizon store in Malden cancelled the service for me, took back the equipment, and gave me a receipt. They said many of the stores are privately owned franchises and they will help - but corporate stores just don't do it. They have helped many customers get help (many of these now ex-customers). 

Verizon cell phone plans are also expensive and don't work well overseas. I travel a lot and have bought a second GSM device where I put in a local SIM when I travel.

Shashank A. Nene 

Virus-free. www.avast.com

Dinesh Patel

Thank you Shawshank
What a coincidence 
We are and have gone thru the same
Wait wait and wait 
They forget what was transpired in past
When they come on the phone the ladies are nice but action plan
Hopefully town leadership who are involved in communications etc look at this 
So Do you have T mobile 
Thank you for valuable info
Dinesh 

On Oct 20, 2020, at 1:14 PM, Shashank Nene <sanene@...> wrote:

Verizon used to be very good in comparison with most others. That is no longer true. We have been with Verizon for Fios and Mobile for several years. We have now switched. Verizon's service has degraded to a disgraceful level. They do not respond to customer service calls in any reasonable time frame (waits on hold have been up to 2.5 hours for tech support). I went to the Verizon store on Lexington Street in Waltham (near Panera), they told me that if you want them to respond, you need to say you want to cancel service - then you will get a response in about 10 minutes. They demonstrated by calling and asking for tech support (was on hold the entire duration of the visit) and in parallel they called and said we want to cancel service (call was answered in 4 minutes).  When I asked for tech support they said that their ONT box (and also the set top box and router/modem) at my house was very old and needed to be replaced - they were malfunctioning. That needed a visit by a technician (at least for the ONT). The charge was $149.99 to replace a box of theirs that was malfunctioning. At that point I gave up and switched to another provider. Verizon is disconnected but they refused to accepted the disconnected equipment - until the tech support visited to try and fix the issues. I told them I was not interested. Eventually a Verizon store in Malden cancelled the service for me, took back the equipment, and gave me a receipt. They said many of the stores are privately owned franchises and they will help - but corporate stores just don't do it. They have helped many customers get help (many of these now ex-customers). 

Verizon cell phone plans are also expensive and don't work well overseas. I travel a lot and have bought a second GSM device where I put in a local SIM when I travel.

Shashank A. Nene 

Shashank Nene

Hi Dinesh, 

I currently have Verizon but plan to switch soon. I have no personal experience of T-Mobile but have heard from friends that their service is pretty good in Europe. They also have (I hear) good deals offered through agencies like AAA and AARP. A long time ago I had Sprint and then AT&T through my office. The coverages were very poor then so we switched to Verizon and have been with them since. Verizon has a very good cell tower network in the US (so have been with them as I travel all over the US for work also) but very expensive plans. If you need support, the wait is the same as for Fios. 

I am also sharing some other things I found useful. If you know it already - just skip to the end. 🙂

Phone Instruments:
I have tried various phones (Samsung, LG, Pixel, iPhones, etc) and in general have no adverse comments about any of the phones. However, if you need support of any kind you then have to rely on the carrier (Verizon - in my case) and that really sucks. The exception to all this is the Pixel. Google will offer you support on their phones irrespective of the carrier so the Pixels are what I have been using. We have three phones on our family plan - 2 Pixels and an iPhone. For any kind of support I go directly to Google thru the instrument itself (after being seriously frustrated with Verizon support). The unhappiest is our son who chose an iPhone. The instrument itself is mostly fine but he has needed support at times and had to deal with Verizon - which just drove him nuts. He is now going to switch to Pixel.

So, for local (domestic) support if you have a Pixel then you can simply bypass whatever carrier you have and the issue is addressed immediately and in real time.

Now regarding international travel and plans:
Again, my work takes me overseas frequently.  There is a technology difference between what we have in the US and elsewhere in the world. We (used to and still largely do) use CDMA. The rest of the world uses GSM. So if you want service overseas, you either go with an international plan or temporarily choose a CDMA service provider that will partner with your US provider. I found that time-consuming and challenging. In a GSM phone you can simply swap out the SIM card. So you get a local SIM card (in whatever country you are) and swap it out in your phone. For the short duration you are there, your number is different from your local US number. Verizon is big on cdma and T-Mobile (I believe) has GSM. I tried international plans from Verizon but found them very expensive.  So I acquired another instrument that is GSM and can take a chip and just use a local chip wherever I go. There is a catch, however. You cannot simply swap out the chip, the phone has to be "unlocked" for other SIM cards to work in it. Verizon will create any amount of hurdles if you ask them to unlock your phone. If your phone is unlocked, then you can use it with any carrier. If it is locked, then you are forced to buy a new instrument from the next carrier - which is another (not unsurmountable) hurdle/hassle/deterrent. If your phone is paid for then you can go into your account and look into the instruments and get the Device ID, IMEI #, Default PIN, and Unblocking PIN. Not sure this might also work for phone that still being paid for.

Hopefully this helps answer some questions that some people may have.

Shashank 

Sent: Tuesday, October 20, 2020 2:26 PM
To: Shashank Nene <sanene@...>
Cc: lexington@groups.io <lexington@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [lexington] Verizon Wireless vs. T-Mobile

Thank you Shawshank
What a coincidence 
We are and have gone thru the same
Wait wait and wait 
They forget what was transpired in past
When they come on the phone the ladies are nice but action plan
Hopefully town leadership who are involved in communications etc look at this 
So Do you have T mobile 
Thank you for valuable info
Dinesh 

On Oct 20, 2020, at 1:14 PM, Shashank Nene <sanene@...> wrote:

Shashank A. Nene 

Freda Flammer

We switched from T-Mobile to Verizon about two months ago because of really bad coverage in our Reed Street home. We are very happy with the Verizon service. Good luck, Freda

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad