Topics

Invite: FREE Quiet, Healthy Yards Workshop - Oct 1st - Win an Electric Tool

Judith Glixon

Just passing along this announcement to all you Lexington folks!

You're invited to a FREE regional workshop hosted by the Town of Lexington, Town of Wellesley DPW, Quiet Communities, and the American Green Zone Alliance - see registration and information below.
  • Participants have a chance to win a brand new, state of the art battery powered tool.
Massachusetts is becoming a leader in zero emissions, low noise landscape maintenance, creating the first procurement contract for this type of equipment and prompting transitions by state agencies, towns, schools, and homeowners.

Quiet, Healthy Yards: A Regional Residential Workshop via Zoom, Thurs, Oct 1st, 7-8:30 pm. Register Now.
We hope to see you there.

Jamie L. Banks PhD, MS, Founder

Quiet Communities Inc.

quietcommunitiesinc.org

Co-Chair, Noise & Health Committee

American Public Health Association

Web  Facebook  Twitter  LinkedIn APHA Connect (members only)

Email: jamie@...

Tel: 781.259.1717

Quiet Communities, Inc. (QCI) is a national 501(c)(3) non-profit organization dedicated to protecting the public health, the environment, and quality of life for everyone for everyone --children, families, seniors, minorities and disadvantaged -- by reducing noise and related pollution. QCI hosts 4 programs: The Quiet CoalitionQuiet Conversation on Policy, Healthcare Acoustics Project, and Quiet Communities.

Jon Dreyer

I recently moved out to Stow, and not coincidentally, my yard got a lot bigger: about about 1/2 acre of it is lawn. A lot of folks suggested a riding mower for that size, because the job takes about half the time. But I decided that I'd rather spend twice as long getting exercise as opposed to just sitting. And for environmental and noise reasons, I wanted to get a battery-powered electric rather than gas.

By far the biggest electric walk-behind mower I could find is the Mean Green WBX-33HD, at 33", but at around $10k, it was a little out of my price range.  :^}

I ended up getting the next biggest I could find, a 25" Greenworks GMS 250, one of their commercial products. With batteries and charger (extra) it cost about $1k. I got two 4Ah batteries, which are more than enough for my 1/2 acre, though I almost never use the self-propelled feature. (Consequently, my watch says that the 2+ hours of mowing burn 800+ calories!) It really works well, and it's very quiet. BTW, the Greenworks consumer division introduced a sort of little sibling of that mower, the Pro 60V 25" Self-propelled cordless brushless lawn mower for somewhat less, but that one only goes about an hour on a charge, which is probably plenty for a lot of lawns.

If you're jonesing for a riding mower, there are lots of battery-powered options out there as well, but I didn't look much at those.

Anyway, I've been surprised at how much battery-powered yard equipment is available.

--
Jon "Be Vewy, Vewy Quiet. We'we Hunting Wabbits" Dreyer
Math tutor/Computer science tutor

On 2020-09-21 13:46, Judith Glixon via groups.io wrote:
[...]

John Rudy

My first house had a large yard.  3 years later when I bought my current house one condition was a much smaller yard.  That worked fine until Brett turned about 10 and couldn’t play baseball in my small yard.  But that was a 7-year problem.  I would guess that I have saved well over 1000 hours of mowing

John Rudy

781-861-0402

781-718-8334 (cell)

20 Heritage Drive

Lexington, MA  02420

On 2020-09-21 13:46, Judith Glixon via groups.io wrote:

Just passing along this announcement to all you Lexington folks!

You're invited to a FREE regional workshop hosted by the Town of Lexington, Town of Wellesley DPW, Quiet Communities, and the American Green Zone Alliance - see registration and information below.

·        Participants have a chance to win a brand new, state of the art battery powered tool.

Massachusetts is becoming a leader in zero emissions, low noise landscape maintenance, creating the first procurement contract for this type of equipment and prompting transitions by state agencies, towns, schools, and homeowners.

Quiet, Healthy Yards: A Regional Residential Workshop via Zoom, Thurs, Oct 1st, 7-8:30 pm. Register Now.

o   Registration flyer

o   Preliminary program

o   Speaker roster

We hope to see you there.

Jamie L. Banks PhD, MS, Founder

Quiet Communities Inc.

quietcommunitiesinc.org

Co-Chair, Noise & Health Committee

American Public Health Association

Web  Facebook  Twitter  LinkedIn APHA Connect (members only)

Email: jamie@...

Tel: 781.259.1717

Quiet Communities, Inc. (QCI) is a national 501(c)(3) non-profit organization dedicated to protecting the public health, the environment, and quality of life for everyone for everyone --children, families, seniors, minorities and disadvantaged -- by reducing noise and related pollution. QCI hosts 4 programs: The Quiet CoalitionQuiet Conversation on Policy, Healthcare Acoustics Project, and Quiet Communities.

nick@...

The Boston Globe has picked up the story about the workshops next week:

   https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/09/14/metro/lexington-wellesley-offer-workshops-zero-emission-lawn-care/

There's still time to register.
--
   Nick