Topics

HELP are these lilies? Possible poisoning

April Smith Ziegler

Might have poisoned my cat. But can’t tell if these are lilies. Pls advise quickly. Ty

Olga Guttag

Yes the list purple flower is Peruvian Lily. It is poisonous to cats - see:
https://www.bloomandwild.com/alstroemeria-cats-are-they-poisonous

Good luck,
Olga

On Sep 21, 2020, at 4:33 PM, April Smith Ziegler <asmithziegler@...> wrote:

Might have poisoned my cat. But can’t tell if these are lilies. Pls advise quickly. Ty

<62241149454__7FAF7768-1B7D-4000-803B-96D1D7DEC441.JPG>

Hollie Schmidt

It looks like they are not as bad for cats as regular lilies, though. This is from the link that Olga sent:

Alstroemeria are a little poisonous to cats. While not deathly toxic, they can cause nasty tummy or skin irritation when eaten (mouth irritation, vomiting, digestive irritation).

The reason the alstroemeria lily can cause mild irritation to cats is because they contain ‘tulipalin A’, which is a toxin. It might cause your kitty to feel a bit sick if ingested in large amounts, but alstroemeria flowers won’t cause your cat any serious damage in the same way traditional lilies are known to.

Hope your kitty's OK!

--Hollie