Topics

computer storage question

Toby Sackton

this is a bit technical, but I am hoping someone on the list may help.

I have a 2nd generation drobo raid storage unit with about 3 T of data distributed over 4 separate hard drives, largely from 2005-2010.  The Drobo unit was purchased in 2009 for backup, as it allows for failure of one or two drives and still preserves the data.    It was disconnected for a few years.. now I would like to copy the files to a newer drive.

Problem is that drobo and this old model is now incompatible with Mac OS catalina.  Even though the drives are in good shape and the data is there, there is no way I can get the drobo software to mount the drives.  I even looked into buying a newer model to swap out the drives.. which could work, but they are not currently available due to shortage, backorder.

I need to find someone familiar with drobo who may be running it on an older, non-upgraded computer or a recommendation for a data recovery group familiar with Drobo.  With the right equipment it is simply a matter of copying the files to a new device.

I took the unit to Tech Fusion thinking they could simply copy it, as the drives were working. But they wanted to do a data recovery.. ie destroy the raid and then rebuild it.. at a cost of $1500 or more.

I said no, there must be a simpler way. Any suggestions from this list.

Thanks

Toby

Betsy Schwartz

I'm not particularly familiar with drobo, but it looks as though it
should be mountable on a linux box, or an older windows box. Either of
which should be easy to beg borrow or buy.

http://drobo-utils.sourceforge.net/

What sort of connector does it have? If it has thunderbolt, the hard
part will be plugging it in. Booting your mac from linux (either via
CD/USB or creating a linux partition) might be one way through this.
If you find that you need to install drobo-utils you'd need to create
a linux partition.

https://www.howtogeek.com/187410/how-to-install-and-dual-boot-linux-on-a-mac/

On Sun, Sep 20, 2020 at 1:28 PM Toby Sackton <tsackton@...> wrote:

[...]

On rereading, if the existing system has a proprietary file system
format, the above might not work. But, it looks to me as though the
drobo uses 'ext3' so, worth a try. Just don't write anything.

In fact, I would expect catalina to be able to mount an ext3 file
system at the command line:
here's another thing to try:
https://hackmylinux.com/2018/02/18/how-to-mount-and-read-a-linux-partition-on-a-mac-ext2-ext3-ext4/

(I'm a unix geek, not a mac geek. macs are kinda-sorta unix)

On Sun, Sep 20, 2020 at 1:41 PM Betsy Schwartz via groups.io
<betsys=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Henry Stevenson

You cant find someone with an older Mac that would be compatible with the drobro?

The connector cable I used with mine was
A fire wire cable.  I'm a pc person, never had that issue.  I thought the drobro was very slow.

Good luck.

Henry

<betsys@...> wrote:

> I'm not particularly familiar with drobo, but it looks as though it
> should be mountable on a linux box, or an older windows box. Either of
> which should be easy to beg borrow or buy.
>
> http://drobo-utils.sourceforge.net/
>
> What sort of connector does it have? If it has thunderbolt, the hard
> part will be plugging it in. Booting your mac from linux (either via
> CD/USB or creating a linux partition) might be one way through this.
> If you find that you need to install drobo-utils you'd need to create
> a linux partition.
>
> https://www.howtogeek.com/187410/how-to-install-and-dual-boot-linux-on-a-mac/
>
> On Sun, Sep 20, 2020 at 1:28 PM Toby Sackton <tsackton@...> wrote:
> >
> > this is a bit technical, but I am hoping someone on the list may help.
> >
> > I have a 2nd generation drobo raid storage unit with about 3 T of data distributed over 4 separate hard drives, largely from 2005-2010.  The Drobo unit was purchased in 2009 for backup, as it allows for failure of one or two drives and still preserves the data.    It was disconnected for a few years.. now I would like to copy the files to a newer drive.
> >
> > Problem is that drobo and this old model is now incompatible with Mac OS catalina.  Even though the drives are in good shape and the data is there, there is no way I can get the drobo software to mount the drives.  I even looked into buying a newer model to swap out the drives.. which could work, but they are not currently available due to shortage, backorder.
> >
> > I need to find someone familiar with drobo who may be running it on an older, non-upgraded computer or a recommendation for a data recovery group familiar with Drobo.  With the right equipment it is simply a matter of copying the files to a new device.
> >
> > I took the unit to Tech Fusion thinking they could simply copy it, as the drives were working. But they wanted to do a data recovery.. ie destroy the raid and then rebuild it.. at a cost of $1500 or more.
> >
> > I said no, there must be a simpler way. Any suggestions from this list.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Toby

Ryan Mack

If you have some sort of USB device, you can download old versions of Mac OS installers by finding the right link to the App Store and install the OS onto an external USB device. Then boot from that device (which may require some tricks to get around Apple's security, everything can be explained by Google thankfully!) and you should be able to access the data and copy it to the other device.